Fire Pettine

MacReady

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The insistence of 4 DBs against 22 personnel will baffle me to the end. 

The refusal to adjust gap responsibilities outside of the OLB/ILB contain assignment in response to motion will similarly never be understood. 

Pettine got grossly outcoached, but this was an entire team collapse. 

Lowry and Lancaster were both worse than useless. I would have said that we should bench them but the one rep that I saw from Adams was so ghastly I'm convinced he would have somehow been a downgrade. 

The saddest part of this game might have been that the 49ers had a Goodson package that they barely broke into after the first quarter. That long first down to Emmanuel Sanders was absolutely pathetic.

Martinez looked absolutely lost as he couldn't figure out what was coming and his DL collapsed around him.

Savage and Amos were so damn scared of the playaction that they weren't shooting gaps and letting RBs get to them with a full head of steam all the way downfield.

Tramon, Jaire, and King were routinely run off and blocked by the 49ers WRs. 

I don't even know where to go with this.

Amazingly our offense might have somehow been worse. 

You had me to the very last line.  

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We need to get a veteran WR, and then draft a Day 2 WR.  At this point, I almost feel like we're being forced to re-sign Bryan Bulaga.  We really don't have any real strong options behind him currently on the roster.  I don't mind Kenny Clark at those nose tackle, but we need a body better than Dean Lowry.  I'd add a veteran TE and a developmental TE in the late Day 2, early Day 3 portions.

Don't know if that big FA signing is going to come.  Is there really one worth it out there?  I think Cory Littleton is the highest ranked FA LB out there.  Not totally sure about him.  And this LB class as a whole is underwhelming.  Right now, I see Isaiah Simmons (who is a likely top 10 pick) and Kenneth Murray, and then a bunch of meh.

Kenny Clark is one of our best players but he has JAGs on either side of him.

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We need legitimate talent in a lot of spots. 

Say - did you see it (?) or was I imagining that we "finally" seemed to hit a deep seam pass to a TE? I know, I know...it probably wasnt the first time all season....but didnt that completion to JG elicit a "Where've you been all year" thought from you? It was like...i hadnt seen that in awhile.

Also - did the long passing from AR suddenly look good to you? For me, it was "I've been looking for this since last year!"

Very odd.

10 hours ago, Leader said:

Whatever it takes. I'm not in to off season stuff yet.

I mean - its downright stupid we can be trailing a team like we were and they'd only thrown 6 passes.

Thats more than a head scratcher. That speaks to a SERIOUS talent disparity and I also think scheme.

SF stunk for a few years so they could draft in the top 5 and get guys like Bosa, who were long gone by the time we were picking.  We would have had to give away half of our picks and a couple of players to move up far enough.  

Just now, Pugger said:

SF stunk for a few years so they could draft in the top 5 and get guys like Bosa, who were long gone by the time we were picking.  We would have had to give away half of our picks and a couple of players to move up far enough.  

Agreed - no question - they grovelled in the trough of high draft picks like a pig in ****

But they've HIT their picks - or incorporated their talents into a workable scheme thats resulted in the product now on the field.

Plus they've supplemented it with complimentary talents and good coaching. Thats a sign of a well run organization. Unfortunately.

38 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Literally all the millions of people watching the game knew the 49ers were going to run the ball during the game except for the Packers defense and coach. It gets to a point to just sell out on the run every play and force Jimmy to beat you.

Perhaps we still don't have the horses to stop the run?  It doesn't help when you can't tackle worth a damn either.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I didn't specifically see a coordinator problem I saw a DL and ILB group get mauled. Other than Clark, the other interior players were just getting consistently blown out of their gaps. I see this as highlighting the need for DL and ILB rather than a damning indictment of Pettine.

Agreed.

DL outside of Clark = Lancaster, Lowry, M. Adams, Keke

ILBs = Martinez, Goodson, Burks, and Summers

Burks and Adams look like 3rd round busts. 

Re-signing JAG Lowry looks like a mistake by Gute.

Goodson and Lancaster are street level players.

There is at least hope Keke may turn into something someday, but Summers is likely just a STs player.

Enough has been said about Blake Martinez.

I have no problem with Pettine getting criticized for his performance and being on the hot seat going forward, but no DC is going to do much if he is forced to consistently play the quartet of Lowry, Lancaster, Goodson, and Martinez in the middle of his D.

• Like 2

I'm not a huge Pettine fan, but if the Packers are planning to truly go "all in" in 2020 (please please let that be the case), I really don't like the idea of having a new DC. Keep the scheme, maybe make adjustments here and there, but more than anything, attack this roster with whatever resources are available and go for broke. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Agreed.

DL outside of Clark = Lancaster, Lowry, M. Adams, Keke

ILBs = Martinez, Goodson, Burks, and Summers

Burks and Adams look like 3rd round busts. 

Re-signing JAG Lowry looks like a mistake by Gute.

Goodson and Lancaster are street level players.

There is at least hope Keke may turn into something someday, but Summers is likely just a STs player.

Enough has been said about Blake Martinez.

I have no problem with Pettine getting criticized for his performance and being on the hot seat going forward, but no DC is going to do much if he is forced to consistently play the quartet of Lowry, Lancaster, Goodson, and Martinez in the middle of his D.

I'm even okay with Lowry starting in your non-nickel base package, but next year HAS to look like this: 

3-4 base: 

DL: Lowry-Clark-New Guy

ILB: New Guy - New Guy

EDGE: Smith - Smith

CB: Alexander - King

S: Amos-Savage 

If I hear one word about "Burks is going into this 3rd year and is this year's 'breakout' candidate" or similar BS about Mont Adams, which you know we'll hear from the GB media come TC time, i'll just SMH. 

I'll let LaFleur make the call .. if he wants his own guy at DC he should get it.  I think Pettine is a solid NFL coordinator .. not sure he's championship level.  The talent is still not good enough ... front seven needs multiple pieces on the DLine and linebacker.  I think the secondary is probably fine .. needs a better front seven to take more heat off of them.  2 DL, and 2 middle backers should be on the shopping list.

I guess I would be fine with moving in from Pettine but this all seems somewhat knee jerk like after the dismal performance last night. There was an improvement this year over last year so that’s something. The 49ers/Shanny just seem to have Pettine figured out. Maybe Pettine hasn’t changed since his days on the staff with Shanahan or something but it just seems like a bad matchup more than overall performance. 

I feel like in the run game, Pettine's illusion of complexity, as he called it, is just actual complexity.

I have always liked his blitz package and coverage disguises but his run fits suck. I don't want him back unless he's willing to go back to the drawing board there. I've never heard coaches hammer gap responsibility like I have this year, because it really shouldn't be difficult. Sure you can get out-matched and lose your gap, but knowing your gap/s and getting to them should really not be difficult. Pettine's scheme makes it difficult. I feel like Blake got a lot of crap, when this scheme does him no favors. If you need Ray Lewis and a couple of Kenny Clark's to make your run scheme work, are you really a good DC or just a guy who mooches off of elite talent?

I wouldn't mind us sniffing around Jim Leonhard. That's a very similar scheme being that his NFL experience is under Rex and Pettine, so it wouldn't be a massive change to the players, but the Badgers run fits seem far more simple. They routinely take average level college talent at DL and ILB and put up elite numbers in a conference that emphasizes running the football.

• Like 1

This may sound stupid and i'm sorry if it does, but Is it just me or are we the only team in the league with Defensive backs that CANNOT tackle in open field? Kevin King gets absolutely embarrassed when he has an open field tackle opportunity. (Usually Amos has been pretty good. Savage has made some plays). Get a DC that brings in the basics of fundamentals as a part of the program. Everyone else seems to be able to tackle our players in space. Why do other teams do so well in this area versus GB in this area?

However, with this being said, If we had any sort of speed presence in the second tier of the defense, they might not have to make open field tackles by themselves with no one else around. 

I don't think Pettine is that great, and he got exposed vs Kyle Shanahan 

That look is disrespectful lol 

It wasn't just Pettine, let's be fair. Our personnel got exposed for being not very good. I feel that with our lack of talent on the DL and LBs it would have been tough for many DCs. 

If I'm a young HC like LaFleur, I'm looking at Pettine being a holdover from McCarthy and I'm thinking I want to hire my own guy. Work with Gutey and the new DC to reinforce the front 7 and we're back in the playoffs with a chance

Most of all, I'm sick and tired of having a SOFT defense. Y'all know what I'm talking about, we've heard it about this team for years. It's time for that $^#* to end. I need a Robert Salah type of dude, someone who can juice this organization up. We need more speed and talent on this team in a bad way. I get that the offense wasnt great, I get that Aaron Rodgers isnt that great anymore. The reality is he's still one of the better QBs in football and you can win a SB with him. The only way we get AR12 another ring is if we stop being a SOFT *** @^$*$&# TEAM 

I guess I don't know what to say.

I don't see the team as "soft".  I see them as a team that won many games this year by putting it on the defense.  

I see them as desperately needing another quality DL.

I think if they want to make the next step, Savage needs to improve big time.  So does Alexander and King.  Someone behind them needs to step up big time.

And as much as I like Blake, there needs to be more athleticism in the middle.  And I don't know who that is.  I don't think it is on the roster.

Much to consider concerning the defense, but let's not let the offense off of the hook either.  There is a very clear need for not one, but two WR's.  Preferably one drafted with one of the first two picks and a quality veteran FA.

I went into the season thinking that this was a 7-8 win team.  They by far exceeded my expectations for a rookie HC.  MLF needs to evolve and they need more firepower.

It is going to be an interesting and difficult off-season.  With our number of close wins, it is a slippery slope.  We could win another 13 games next year, or regress to 6-7 wins.  Games were that close.  Everything needs to be evaluated.

• Like 1