Fire Pettine

MacReady

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think it was a damned if you do damned if you don't thing .. they were going to kill us via the pass or the run and we chose to let them do it via the run because Pettine thinks it takes longer to get down the field when you are running the ball ... wrong ... they were scoring on six and seven play drives that featured heavy run and we sat there and took it.  I have no doubt though that if we had sold out against the run they would have shredded us via the air.  We were totally outclassed.

I agree. If they had to pass, I doubt we could have stopped them. Kittle would just eat us alive and have tons of YAC against our secondary. The only positive is that it would play into our strengths with our pass rush 

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Never mind the X’s and O’s, if you can’t get off blocks and tackle, then you’re gonna get steam rolled.  It’s that simple.

Whose job do you think the ax’s and O’s are to teach?  What do you think the Patriots defense would look like if we swapped defensive rosters?  

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Whose job do you think the ax’s and O’s are to teach?  What do you think the Patriots defense would look like if we swapped defensive rosters?  

My point wasn’t about the X’s and O’s.  You can have the greatest scheme on the planet, but if you can’t shed a ******* block and tackle, you’re gonna get trucked!

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I see a lack of talent at DL and ILB, where else is there a lack? This was a talented defense IMO. #2 DL and ILB were average to below, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Blake, though I get he's not a world beater. There won't be much changes to the sub package IMO, DBs and rushers will probably be the same in 2020 and I'm good with that 

yeah there was no other decent player at ILB outside of Blake, which is a pretty big problem.  Number 2 through 5 DL is a bad spot.  Lowry and Lancaster were downright pathetic for most of the year.

Still, the team needs to rise above 2 spots being bad, one of which, ILB2 wasn't on the field very often at all.  This is the healthiest team they have ever had.  The roster construction was fine.  I would even say the roster construction was an advantage.  The cap was used wisely and in the right way to build around an aging star QB.

12 didn't show up like he needed to, and Pettine didn't show up at all.  8 passes.  They only attempted 8 passes.  What a horrible effort by the coaches.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Not sure what you are getting at but the patriots defense was highly over rated. Yeah they were good statistically but look who they played the first 8 games, probably the worst batch of QBs ever.  With the exception of probably 3 games, the patriots schedule was incredibly weak. 

Pettine is safe for at least one more year. These guys were drafted and brought in for his scheme.

Firing him will mean possibly blowing up the roster because these guys may not fit the new DC system.

I have a better idea!  How about drafting better. Stop wasting 2nd round picks on Josh Jones, Josh Jackson and Quinton Rollins. 3rd round picks on Montgomery, M Adams and Burks. That's 6 misses in the first 3 rounds. When you continue to miss like that you have what we have now, mediocrity. Where the heck was Gary? Why did they not play the kid, seems like they're bringing him along too slowly.

They should've taking the training wheels off a long time ago and let the kid learn by playing more. Gary turned into a wasted pick this year. No excuses for him next year. Get that shoulder fixed during the offseason and play like the 12 pick in the draft.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Pettine is safe for at least one more year. These guys were drafted and brought in for his scheme.

Firing him will mean possibly blowing up the roster because these guys may not fit the new DC system.

I have a better idea!  How about drafting better. Stop wasting 2nd round picks on Josh Jones, Josh Jackson and Quinton Rollins. 3rd round picks on Montgomery, M Adams and Burks. That's 6 misses in the first 3 rounds. When you continue to miss like that you have what we have now, mediocrity. Where the heck was Gary? Why did they not play the kid, seems like they're bringing him along too slowly.

They should've taking the training wheels off a long time ago and let the kid learn by playing more. Gary turned into a wasted pick this year. No excuses for him next year. Get that shoulder fixed during the offseason and play like the 12 pick in the draft.

Silverstein's report kind of suggested that may not be the case.

Edited by Arthur Penske

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Where is that report?  Also, remember when you told me condescendingly that Pettine will not and should not get fired less than a week ago? 

I don’t have JSonline so I can’t read it but apparently this is the summary. I’m sure Bukowski is sensationalizing it so FWIW:

For the record I like Wade Phillips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

AT LEAST DOM CAPERS HAS THE EXCUSE OF NOT BEING PREPARED FOR A GENERALLY SURPRISING/NEW QB RISK AND THE NINERS ACTUALLY THREW THE FOOTBALL AS WELL AS RAN IT WHEN WE GOT DOMINATED BY KAEPERNICK. 

Why are people defending Pettine?  It's one thing if it WORKED and we actually stopped the pass when they attempted to pass due to not selling out to stop the run, but IT DID NOT WORK!

Garoppolo attempted 8 passes and completed 6 of them for 77 yards.  That's 9.6 yards per attempt. 

Ok help me here.  Give me 2 or 3 names that you would be happy with if we fired him.  There are a lot of retreads right now available....or would a college coach be appealing to you.  I'm reluctant to just fire someone without some idea of who you would target to replace him.