2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

6 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Good thing King Henry doesn’t right?

Henry is just gonna have to accept that the market for a RB is realistically $10-11 million max. 

Zeke's deal is stupidly too much. And the other RBs never should have gotten those deals. 

And also. So what if they get an astronomical lengthy deal. If I can get out of it in 2 years so be it. 

Give Henry a 6 year $80 million deal. 

But if I can get out of it after 2 years what is the harm. 

9 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Welcome to actually being a good team and having to pay players will almost 20 free agents of their own. 

Yeah except we could have simply avoided our d-line and pass rush being worse by just keeping Casey. The o-line with Kelly replacing Conklin and secondary with who know’s who replacing Ryan were both expected to be worse. This is just where we stand so far on paper, not where we end up. But imo I don’t think it looks good. I don’t agree with the Casey trade at all unless it means landing Clowney.

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Okay so far...

The o-line’s gotten worse

The d-line’s gotten worse

The secondary’s gotten worse

The pass rush’s gotten worse with Casey gone and Beasley as only a marginal upgrade over Correa

So far, so good!

That's a little dramatic and oversimplified.

Has the oline gotten worse?  Maybe.. but we also have a full year of Lewan (no suspension), full off season of the interior 3 practicing together... and expected upgrade in play from the RG spot, and Kelley replacing Conklin as a worst case scenario... who's done a good job of doing it in the recent past.

Has the d-line gotten worse?  Yes Simmons will have a full offseason, and is slated to start the season in september, not November.... so that's a positive.  Can we expect Daquan to continue on what was a good season last year?  And there is definitely no one on the roster who fills Casey's spot.  But Jones and a healthy Simmons is still strong on what has become a 2-4-5 base.  I expect us to add other pieces here.

Has the secondary gotten worse?  Maybe... but we expect to get Butler back, who has probably been our best CB the past season and a half.  Jackson also probably had the best season of his career, and we can realistically expect him to keep this level of play, or even continue improving.   Byard and Vaccaro come back... and Hooker looks like a solid piece in a dime package.  There's also quite a few options to fill the slot position.  

The pass rush should be improved with Beasley over Wake.  He's making the jump from 4-3 end to more of a stand up role as an 3-4 edge role, so that's definitely a plus.  I've probably been one of the few posters that valued Correa the past 2 years, but he's far from irreplaceable.  Roberson also came on strong to end the season... and we get Walker back and Gilbert also returns.  

Throw in that we will probably spend 2 of our top 3 picks on defense... and it's not all doom and gloom.    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah except we could have simply avoided our d-line and pass rush being worse by just keeping Casey. The o-line with Kelly replacing Conklin and secondary with who know’s who replacing Ryan were both expected to be worse. This is just where we stand so far on paper, not where we end up. But imo I don’t think it looks good. I don’t agree with the Casey trade at all unless it means landing Clowney.

Many of us predicted Ryan and Conklin were going to be on the outside looking in anyway. Casey trade was stupid and I admit it but he’s also getting close to the end. He hasn’t been as good as he used to be. I wanted him to be a Titan until he retires but it’s clear they wanted to change the defense a lot this offseason by getting younger and faster. This team might take a step back next season and I’m sure it’ll all get blamed on Henry and Tannehill.

Remember, this is all so far. Not the finished product.

37 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Has the oline gotten worse?  Maybe.. but we also have a full year of Lewan (no suspension), full off season of the interior 3 practicing together... and expected upgrade in play from the RG spot, and Kelley replacing Conklin as a worst case scenario... who's done a good job of doing it in the recent past.

I think it's safe to say the o-line will be worse. Conklin to Kelly is a downgrade. A second season for Davis should in theory be an upgrade, but that's not even close to a guarantee yet. The interior may have a full offseason, but Saffold and Jones are also both on the wrong side of 30 (which is partly why we just gave Casey away). Don't get me wrong I think the o-line will still be good, but it definitely isn't going to be what it was at the end of last year.

45 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Has the d-line gotten worse?  Yes Simmons will have a full offseason, and is slated to start the season in september, not November.... so that's a positive.  Can we expect Daquan to continue on what was a good season last year?  And there is definitely no one on the roster who fills Casey's spot.  But Jones and a healthy Simmons is still strong on what has become a 2-4-5 base.  I expect us to add other pieces here.

Absolutely, yes. Again, this unit will still be good with Simmons and DaQuan, but losing Casey hurts not just because Casey himself is so good, but because now the offense can put more emphasis on blocking those 2 guys. It also hurts our depth.

51 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Has the secondary gotten worse?  Maybe... but we expect to get Butler back, who has probably been our best CB the past season and a half.  Jackson also probably had the best season of his career, and we can realistically expect him to keep this level of play, or even continue improving.   Byard and Vaccaro come back... and Hooker looks like a solid piece in a dime package.  There's also quite a few options to fill the slot position.  

If you look at where the secondary was to end the year, replacing Brock for Butler is good, but replacing Ryan for potentially Hooker we have no idea. So I guess you can call it a wash. Overall though, going from Butler-Jackson-Ryan to Butler-Jackson-Hooker(?) is definitely a downgrade, but I understand that's not a realistic comparison when you look at where we stood in reality to close out the year.

57 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

The pass rush should be improved with Beasley over Wake.  He's making the jump from 4-3 end to more of a stand up role as an 3-4 edge role, so that's definitely a plus.  I've probably been one of the few posters that valued Correa the past 2 years, but he's far from irreplaceable.  Roberson also came on strong to end the season... and we get Walker back and Gilbert also returns. 

You can't really count Wake since he didn't play. It's moreso going from Correa to Beasley which is a marginal upgrade at best (I learned yesterday that 2 of Beasley's sacks last year came from the QB running out of bounds lol). Roberson and Gilbert are depth guys, so it's not realistic to expect them to improve the pass rush by much of anything worthwhile. It's also not realistic to expect much from a 5th rounder who wasn't even known as much of a pass rusher coming in to the draft and didn't play last year. The main problem with the pass rush is losing Casey and replacing him with nobody so far.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Throw in that we will probably spend 2 of our top 3 picks on defense... and it's not all doom and gloom. 

Not doom and gloom, but our team is definitely worse on paper. We're going to be depending on our young guys to take a really big step in their development.

8 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

You can't really count Wake since he didn't play. It's moreso going from Correa to Beasley which is a marginal upgrade at best (I learned yesterday that 2 of Beasley's sacks last year came from the QB running out of bounds lol). Roberson and Gilbert are depth guys, so it's not realistic to expect them to improve the pass rush by much of anything worthwhile. It's also not realistic to expect much from a 5th rounder who wasn't even known as much of a pass rusher coming in to the draft and didn't play last year. The main problem with the pass rush is losing Casey and replacing him with nobody so far.

You’re oversimplifying this. First of all, Correa to Beasley is not a marginal upgrade. That’s 3 sacks more in one player. You probably wouldn’t call Correa a marginal upgrade over Finch, for instance, or a 13 sack player a marginal upgrade over Landry. And that’s not even getting to the fact that that was a career year for Correa, an average year for Beasley.

To expect at least one rotational rookie or sophomore player to improve is totally reasonable.

And if you’re including the loss of Casey in the pass rush analysis, they you also have to include the probable growth of Simmons and Mack next season too.

I agree we are now slightly weaker at OL and DB, but only slightly. We are definitely weaker at DL, but we are absolutely, definitely stronger on the edge than we were last year.

I don't see Robinson trading Casey without having a clear plan laid out.

I think Clowney will be a Titan by the end of the week. So many factors imo for him to choose the Titans.

Loves Vrabel been very public of that. Had his best seasons under him. Wants to play for a winner. If the three teams are the Titans, Seahawks and Jets that eliminates the Jets. No offense to them but they are not close to being contenders. Add the bonus that Clowney would play the Texans twice a year specifically O'Brien who Clowney was at odds with, to me Tennessee is who he picks.

Seattle is the other of the three. No way he picks the Jets unless he gets crazy money.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, but if that’s our weak link, that’s good with me.

Dennis Kelly to me is better in pass protection then Conklin is. When he played on the right he was solid.

Yes run blocking he is not Conklin but Conklin had his share of struggles too.

• Like 1