2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

what are we looking at cap space-wise this year after including some of the more obvious cuts like Dion, Wake, and Walker and our draft picks?

Currently projected at ~50M (51.5M)... Can save

• 5.5M from cutting Wake
  • 6.5M from cutting Walker
  • 4M from cutting Lewis
  • 2M from cutting Succop

That automatically puts us in the 70M range (69.5).  We also have a few other less likely options:

• Cutting Daquan saves 7M.  Unlikely move... but if we move to a 4-3 D... are we going to carry the 3rd DT (behind Casey and Simmons) with an 8.3M cap hit?...
  • Cutting Casey saves us 10M.  Again, an unlikely move.  Finished the season stronger... and has been our best player and team leader for so long.  But we do need to acknowledge that 10M is 10M.  He carries a 13+M cap hit through '22.  
  • Cutting Butler saves us 7.4M.  Unlikely, although could be an option if we prefer to resign Ryan.  I think it's more likely we keep him over Ryan while drafting a CB early this year to potentially replace Butler in '21 (when we save 10M from the cap if we cut him then)

Also, in regards to our FA's... Firsker, Batson, and Gilbert are all ERFA's... and can be kept at the minimum salary.

Tye Smith is an RFA and can be tendered at his original round (5th) for 2M.

Everyone else is a UFA.  But we can use both the transition tag and franchise tag this year.  Those projected figures are:

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $26,895,000 $24,373,000
DE $19,316,000 $16,338,000
WR $18,491,000 $15,926,000
CB $16,471,000 $14,570,000
LB $16,266,000 $14,080,000
OL $16,102,000 $14,666,000
DT $15,500,000 $12,321,000
S $12,735,000 $10,801,000
RB $12,474,000 $10,189,000
TE $11,076,000 $9,267,000
ST $5,297,000 $4,884,000
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Currently projected at ~50M (51.5M)... Can save

• 5.5M from cutting Wake
  • 6.5M from cutting Walker
  • 4M from cutting Lewis
  • 2M from cutting Succop

That automatically puts us in the 70M range (69.5).  We also have a few other less likely options:

• Cutting Daquan saves 7M.  Unlikely move... but if we move to a 4-3 D... are we going to carry the 3rd DT (behind Casey and Simmons) with an 8.3M cap hit?...
  • Cutting Casey saves us 10M.  Again, an unlikely move.  Finished the season stronger... and has been our best player and team leader for so long.  But we do need to acknowledge that 10M is 10M.  He carries a 13+M cap hit through '22.  
  • Cutting Butler saves us 7.4M.  Unlikely, although could be an option if we prefer to resign Ryan.  I think it's more likely we keep him over Ryan while drafting a CB early this year to potentially replace Butler in '21 (when we save 10M from the cap if we cut him then)

Also, in regards to our FA's... Firsker, Batson, and Gilbert are all ERFA's... and can be kept at the minimum salary.

Tye Smith is an RFA and can be tendered at his original round (5th) for 2M.

Everyone else is a UFA.  But we can use both the transition tag and franchise tag this year.  Those projected figures are:

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $26,895,000 $24,373,000
DE $19,316,000 $16,338,000
WR $18,491,000 $15,926,000
CB $16,471,000 $14,570,000
LB $16,266,000 $14,080,000
OL $16,102,000 $14,666,000
DT $15,500,000 $12,321,000
S $12,735,000 $10,801,000
RB $12,474,000 $10,189,000
TE $11,076,000 $9,267,000
ST $5,297,000 $4,884,000

Add another 10 mill 😎 salary cap is projected to rise 

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Drafting the right RB to compliment him can be. Completely taking him away could also make it all crumble.

If you look at examples from other teams, losing their star RB while keeping the same OL, the production on the field was relatively similar. The RB may not be as good but if the OL is still doing their job you can have a lot of success.

If you're paying a RB that much you can't be drafting another one high as a compliment to him as a pass blocker and check down option. Would have to be a day 3 guy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Add another 10 mill 😎 salary cap is projected to rise 

That figure includes the projected increase. The cap is expected to be between 196M and 201M (per the NFL... Up from 188M this year)... The figure I used (from Spotrac) figures the cap at 199M, so it could go up or down a couple million, depending on the final actual number. This figure also includes 20M of rollover from this year's cap. 

51M (give or take a couple M) is our starting point before cuts and resignings/extensions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

70m really isn’t a lot to play with after the Henry and Tannehill/Brady contracts. Figure 25-30m for QB and 14-16 for Henry. 10m for rookies. So 20m to play with is nothing. No idea how they expect to sign a big time pass-rusher and maybe resign Conklin. 

I mean, you can literally tag Tannehill and Henry for $37 million. If they sign each to extensions, their Year 1 cap hits will almost certainly be less than that.

• Like 1

If we're signing a big name pass rusher there's going to be someone noteworthy not resigned. I would bring back Tannehill and Conklin and let Ryan and Henry walk. 

Those two are gonna be about 27 and 14 APY. 41m APY between them, but their cap hits will be less than that.

Then a nearly 20m elite edge rusher, puts you around 60m.

Just enough room for rookie salaries and a little extra so we're not in a cap crunch in the years to come when we have to pay Adoree, Jonnu, Landry, Evans etc.

Draft a CB so we can get rid of Butler's contract after this coming season. Also need elite speed at WR to replace Davis.

Jaylon Johnson is my current favorite pick at #28.

Edited by TitanSS

Big difference between cap hits and APY. 

I'm almost positive Henry will be resigned before FA. Even if he gets something around 13-14M, his cap hit year 1 will be around 7-9... The smaller it is te more you push forward. We can technically give him all SB and minimal salary in year 1 to minimize his cap hit now... But it puts you up against it later. 

Hoy can save 1.5M by franchising Conklin and transitioning RT (instead of vice versa)... But that make negotiations harder with Conklin, setting a slightly higher guarantee starting point. But the goal, even if tagging them is to resign them long term eventually. Ideally you sign Conklin long term... Something like 4/60...and keep his cap hit in year 1 around 8-10.

But tagging both and taking Henry's cap hit into account outs us at close to 50 of that 70M... And still with a lot of holes to fill. You can still sign an impact Edge for a similar cap hit to Conklin. 

So that's Henry @ 8M, Conklin @ 10M, edge @ 10M...that's 28...another 24M for RT with the transition tag... And that's 52...leaving 18M to fill in the roster w/value FAs. 

I still think we decide between Casey and Daquan... That's 22M committed to them 2. Maybe Daquan extends, lowering his cap hit. But if we go 4-3 as the "base" and even if we plan to continue running a "2-4-5 base", Daquan is a luxury 3rd DT we'd have to trim. 

• Like 1

If the overall thought is that Henry brings little to the passing game and therefor can’t be a 3 down back for all situations, what’s making everyone here think he’s getting 14-15m on the open market especially when the general belief is to not pay RB’s? I don’t think he’s going to be as expensive as most of you believe.

Edited by dtait93
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I would also be curious to see a list of teams who 1) are in need of a RB and 2) have the cap space to blow on the best one on the market.

Based on cap space, I’d say Dolphins and Bucs would be most likely. Texans would be incredibly interesting. But I don’t necessarily think he fits Houston’s offense and a rebuilding team shouldn’t pay a RB big money. Tampa is the most likely option in my mind.

Still think he is valued far more by us than any other team. Wouldn’t at all be surprised to see something like 4/50.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Based on cap space, I’d say Dolphins and Bucs would be most likely. Texans would be incredibly interesting. But I don’t necessarily think he fits Houston’s offense and a rebuilding team shouldn’t pay a RB big money. Tampa is the most likely option in my mind.

Still think he is valued far more by us than any other team. Wouldn’t at all be surprised to see something like 4/50.

Whatever the number is, Robinson has been fantastic with his contract structures. I think he’s a lot smarter than to give him 14m+ knowing there’s no chance he gets that on the open market. I’m not sweating it at all tbh

Keep in mind that this is also the guy that pulled himself out of the Jacksonville game last season so Dion could have a chance at scoring. I know professional athletes want to make their money (especially RB’s while they can) but Henry isn’t a, “me, me, me” guy. If there was ever a person with the personality type to take a home town discount to help the team it would be Henry. Not saying it’s happening but you never know

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

If we're signing a big name pass rusher there's going to be someone noteworthy not resigned. I would bring back Tannehill and Conklin and let Ryan and Henry walk. 

Those two are gonna be about 27 and 14 APY. 41m APY between them, but their cap hits will be less than that.

Then a nearly 20m elite edge rusher, puts you around 60m.

Just enough room for rookie salaries and a little extra so we're not in a cap crunch in the years to come when we have to pay Adoree, Jonnu, Landry, Evans etc.

Draft a CB so we can get rid of Butler's contract after this coming season. Also need elite speed at WR to replace Davis.

Jaylon Johnson is my current favorite pick at #28.

How would you guys feel for trading our 1st rd pick & butler to Arizona for Patrick Peterson I think we’re in win now mode. I know this a far fetched idea but I was thinking would it be fair they both make the same amount of money though Peterson has 1 year left on his deal, but him & Adoree on the outside with hooker manning the slot we can let Byard Roam more 

8 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

How would you guys feel for trading our 1st rd pick & butler to Arizona for Patrick Peterson I think we’re in win now mode. I know this a far fetched idea but I was thinking would it be fair they both make the same amount of money though Peterson has 1 year left on his deal, but him & Adoree on the outside with hooker manning the slot we can let Byard Roam more 

We need to keep our 1st rounder imo. Going to need good players on the cheap with all these contracts coming up and even though Peterson’s the superior player I don’t feel like it’s a big enough upgrade to depart from a 1st rounder.

• Like 3