2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

14 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Kelly can start at RT for half the price as a stop gap till we draft a RT. He started at RT & was very good against some of the leagues premiere pass rushers, him playing LT is a different story because it requires different technique 

Also Kelly has said he prefers RT so I’d be fine with him for now 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Kelly can start at RT for half the price as a stop gap till we draft a RT. He started at RT & was very good against some of the leagues premiere pass rushers, him playing LT is a different story because it requires different technique 

You definitely don’t want Kelly starting for a full season. He’s a solid player and good swing OT but he’ll get exposed even at RT if he starts for a full season. I’m fine with targeting Zach Banner or Matt Feiler. Whichever one the Steelers don’t resign. However, it might be a season where there’s a liability a certain positions and RT may be one. This is an odd year with a bunch of FAs. There will be a lot of roster turnover. That’s part of the reason why I think there’s no way we stay at 29. I see us trading back and acquiring multiple picks considering we only have 6 right now.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

Take resigning Tannehill and Henry our of the equation for a second(say they’re already resigned), would you rather resign Conklin to 16+ or target a top FA pass-rusher like Clowney(eh) or Yannick or someone else? To me it’s a pretty easy decision but wanted to get other opinions.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

22 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Take resigning Tannehill and Henry our of the equation for a second(say they’re already resigned), would you rather resign Conklin to 16+ or target a top FA pass-rusher like Clowney(eh) or Yannick or someone else? To me it’s a pretty easy decision but wanted to get other opinions.

I'm good with an off-season that included Tanny, Henry, Conk (at the number you mentioned), and a less expensive pass rusher like JPP.

or

Tanny, Henry, a top end pass-rusher, and a less expensive RT like Bryan Bulaga.

44 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Easier to replace RT at cheaper pay and still goo production than it is to find an impact on defense that can help the pass rush

So for me i want Conklin’s money used on defense 

56 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Pass rusher for sure...

The biggest thing that gives me pause about Conklin is not only replacing him, but finding someone who will help with Davis' development.  Kid still has a long way to go,  but he improved for the most part as the season wore on.  I'm afraid what a downgrade at RT will mean to his development.  Will our right side be a complete liability?

Edge is at the top of my list overall in FA... Henry is my first internal option, but if we can't find a way to retain him, I value Conklin and RT more than a replacement RB (or duo)... and probaby even Ryan.  I think that's how much Henry means overall to the team, not just as a RB.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

That’s part of the reason why I think there’s no way we stay at 29. I see us trading back and acquiring multiple picks considering we only have 6 right now.

I was thinking about this earlier, but I don't know if they'll trade down from the first pick because it'd be nice to get that fifth year option.  I definitely see us making moves to get more picks though, especially since trying to keep as many premium players as we can will result in not being able to sign too many depth players that we'll need.

That could be one approach the FO takes.  Sign your premium guys, then trade down and draft quality depth at OL, DL, WR, and CB.

• Like 1

I'm all for getting fair contracts for people, but Conklin is a solid pass-blocker and one of the best run-blockers at the position. If we're going to keep Henry and this style of offense I think resigning him is a priority.

We won't, but if we were to all the sudden become a pass-first team with a lot more pass attempts and a lot more "true" pass sets (not play-action or screens, just drop back and pass) then he is still a priority because of how important that position is, but less of one because that isn't his strength

Top pass rusher is my top priority, but if Conklin isn't resigned, OT and ED are tied at #1 priority. Both are high priority positions and I would hate to enter the draft where we must draft a certain position in the first round. Best player available (considering positional value) is the best way to build a team.

Priority: Tanny (tagged or signed, have to have a QB, most important position so get the best possible player), Conklin, FA ED.

Edited by TitanSS

52 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I'm good with an off-season that included Tanny, Henry, Conk (at the number you mentioned), and a less expensive pass rusher like JPP.

or

Tanny, Henry, a top end pass-rusher, and a less expensive RT like Bryan Bulaga.

Guy has played a full season twice in 9 years. No thanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I never said 15 for Henry is a no brainier. And I don't anyone is saying pay him anything. 

I am saying pay him though. Unlike some others feeling like you can't pay him under any circumstance. 

And only reason I'm hesitant about giving Conklin almost $90 million is because of all the money there. (Lewan, Jones, Stafford). 

We can afford whatever we want. But as you constantly have said is it smart to put a certain amount of money in certain spots. 

Pay him $400 million for all I care. But I'm saying I don't think we will make him the highest paid RT which I feel he will want. 

I don't think we let an OT walk because of a C or OG contract. The OT is more important. If push came to shove, just kick one them out at the first exit in the contract.

Saffold could be cut after next season if that was an issue and OG is generally easier to fill. Could draft his eventual replacement this season.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

You definitely don’t want Kelly starting for a full season. He’s a solid player and good swing OT but he’ll get exposed even at RT if he starts for a full season. I’m fine with targeting Zach Banner or Matt Feiler. Whichever one the Steelers don’t resign. However, it might be a season where there’s a liability a certain positions and RT may be one. This is an odd year with a bunch of FAs. There will be a lot of roster turnover. That’s part of the reason why I think there’s no way we stay at 29. I see us trading back and acquiring multiple picks considering we only have 6 right now.

He played well at RT last yr when Conklin was struggling & ended the season on IR. He played well against Dallas VS Demarcus Lawrence & against JJ watt. & PFF focus even graded him high. I’m not saying he’ll be elite as Conklin was this year, but if Conklin deal is too expensive he’s perfect for w cheap stop gap & we can draft our future RT.. He’s a RT not a LT he struggles at LT

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Guy has played a full season twice in 9 years. No thanks. 

I could see being concerned earlier in his career, but in the least 4 seasons he’s played 16 games twice and 14 games once. The other season he only played 5 due to an ACL that he’s clearly bounced back nice from. He’s a good player that’s been healthy for a good while now, and if he comes at 8-10m compared to Conklin’s say 14-16m I’m atleast considering it.

Frankly this is how I look at it:

I don't want to pay Ryan Tannehill top level QB money for half a season of work. A stellar half mind you but it wasn't all him and there are several good options in free agency if needed. I don't believe Ryan Tannehill is all of a sudden an elite QB.

I don't want to pay Derrick Henry top RB  for a half of season of work. A stellar half mind you but RBs breakdown also there are some quality free agent RBs too. To me a guy like Melvin Gordon can do some damage and would be my target if the Titans don't want to spend big on Henry.

I don't want to pay Conklin 15 million per season as we already have a ton of money in the left side of the line and Kelly to me is fine to take his spot for way less.

I don't want to pay Ryan big money to play corner when Jackson will need some serious cash soon and we already got a high paid secondary with Byard, Vacarro and Butler (who I fully believe we are keeping around this year).

This is the off season the Titans front office has in front of them. Those are the four premier free agents we have and legitimately there are strong reasons to not commit big money to each of them. However, the Titans absolutely cannot afford to lose all four and I think need to keep around at least two.

Logic would say those two will be Tannehill and Henry and I would be happy to have them back and would not fault the front office at all. However, I would be on edge a bit waiting for Tannehill to regress or waiting for Henry to hit the RB wall.

If it's me you re-sign Tannehill, you tag Henry and try to re-sign Conklin. If not Kelly is fine there worst case. I think Ryan is good as gone as can't justify that kind of spending in the secondary with Adoree Jackson needing more money soon.

I would take the money and find me an elite pass rusher or trade for one. This is an absolute must if the Titans want to get over the hump. Give me a premier pass rusher over any RB, right tackle or corner.

Edited by Titan89

2 hours ago, Titan89 said:

Frankly this is how I look at it:

I don't want to pay Ryan Tannehill top level QB money for half a season of work. A stellar half mind you but it wasn't all him and there are several good options in free agency if needed. I don't believe Ryan Tannehill is all of a sudden an elite QB.

I don't want to pay Derrick Henry top RB  for a half of season of work. A stellar half mind you but RBs breakdown also there are some quality free agent RBs too. To me a guy like Melvin Gordon can do some damage and would be my target if the Titans don't want to spend big on Henry.

I don't want to pay Conklin 15 million per season as we already have a ton of money in the left side of the line and Kelly to me is fine to take his spot for way less.

I don't want to pay Ryan big money to play corner when Jackson will need some serious cash soon and we already got a high paid secondary with Byard, Vacarro and Butler (who I fully believe we are keeping around this year).

This is the off season the Titans front office has in front of them. Those are the four premier free agents we have and legitimately there are strong reasons to not commit big money to each of them. However, the Titans absolutely cannot afford to lose all four and I think need to keep around at least two.

Logic would say those two will be Tannehill and Henry and I would be happy to have them back and would not fault the front office at all. However, I would be on edge a bit waiting for Tannehill to regress or waiting for Henry to hit the RB wall.

If it's me you re-sign Tannehill, you tag Henry and try to re-sign Conklin. If not Kelly is fine there worst case. I think Ryan is good as gone as can't justify that kind of spending in the secondary with Adoree Jackson needing more money soon.

I would take the money and find me an elite pass rusher or trade for one. This is an absolute must if the Titans want to get over the hump. Give me a premier pass rusher over any RB, right tackle or corner.

Henry dominated a whole season not half a season & dominated half of last season after the titans made the commitment to give him the damn ball & make him the focal point of the offense. He rushed for 800 yards in 1 month & the rest been history since last year, but you rather pay Melvin Gordon top dollar, when he held out because he wanted to be paid 15 mill a year turning down a 11 mill a year deal from the Chargers, oh & he’s never played a full 16 game season but perhaps 1 if that 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️