2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

21 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

This is guy related...
So I reached out to "The Guy" Said word for word... "Tannehill switching agents, any idea what that means?" 
Response:  "Pay Day."

No offense to the guy or anything, but that's not exactly a scoop.  :D

He didn't like his old agent?  He wants to get the band back together and thought it would be more doable if he and Henry shared the same agent?

Slightly off topic, I can't imagine what it's like to have a client hit it big and then drop you right before you get a cut of $50M. :S

Edited by titanrick

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

No offense to the guy or anything, but that's not exactly a scoop.  :D

He didn't like his old agent?  He wants to get the band back together and thought it would be more doable if he and Henry shared the same agent?

Slightly off topic, I can't imagine what it's like to have a client hit it big and then drop you right before you get a cut of $50M. :S

Oh yeah. Not a scoop. Lol 

My thoughts is didn't like the numbers thrown around?

This is the most crucial offseason this franchise has had in at least a decade imo. Decisions made will be franchise altering and I think either this team is right in the thick of things next year or we will be wishing we were 9-7 again. I honestly am not envious of the decision makers who have to sort through all of this.

Even the world's biggest optimist never saw a season like that for Tannehill. I am sure when we traded for him the hope was he could game manage with Henry running to keep us on the right path. However, he made some huge throws and really gelled in this offense so now there is the Tannehill conundrum this offseason.

The question is am I comfortable with giving Ryan Tannehill 30 million a year cap hit wise to be our QB for the next five years or so? If I am being honest...... no. As much as I loved how exciting our offense was, outside of the New Orleans game this team lived and died by Derrick Henry and the offensive line run blocking. Derrick Henry was the reason we won two playoff games. When he couldn't get going against KC look what happened.

Seeing some of the other QBs with huge cap hits in the NFL honestly it is scary to see how much average QBs get paid. Tannehill was exceptional this year but he is not a top five QB in this league and most certainly should not be paid like one. Bottom top 10 to top 15 maybe.

Working against Tannehill too is the fact that this is the best market with the most capable starting level QBs we have seen in a long time assuming lots make it to free agency and I think many will.

If Tannehill is going to cost $30 million per year against the cap then I am sorry give me Brady, Rivers, Bridgewater, Winston or even take a shot on a guy like Alex Smith (assuming he is able to play) or even Taysom Hill. Personally I would try and get Newton but he may cost a ton. Yes I am aware with Brady and Rivers the offense would need to change a bit to make up for the less mobility. Winston is a turnover machine but he has a huge arm and can easily do the play action beat you deep throws with Henry running a lot. Alex Smith if recovered is capable and was mobile hopefully he still would be but who knows this is a wild card. I think both Bridgewater and Hill can be quality starters mind you they are more unknown especially Hill. Newton IMO would be a great fit for this offense and would be elite for us if somehow we could get him.

That all being said, I am sorry but to me I would be scared as hell to commit long term to Tannehill with such a huge cap hit when he had a great half of a season and Henry was the main reason he was effective more often than not.

I really don't know what is going to happen this offseason which is both exciting and nerve wracking. If we re-sign Tannehill I would be fine with it I like Tannehill but if we give him a huge contract for many years I am definitely going to be concerned.

Henry to me is a must re-sign as the price for RBs is not expensive and you cannot overstate what he means to this team. Again the work load on RBs is concerning but I don't see how the Titans could justify letting Henry their leader, most productive offensive player and most marketable player leave.

Edited by Titan89
  • Like 1

Tennessee Titans

Everyone was enamored with the 6-foot-3, 250-pound tank Derrick Henry, carrying the ball for the Titans and “leading” them to the playoffs. He, however, didn’t lead Tennessee to the AFC Championship game as everyone thinks. Henry may have won the rushing title, but he tied for just seventh in PFF rushing grade. According to OverTheCap, Henry is projected to receive a four-year, $44 million contract with $25 million guaranteed in free agency this March.

That contract would place Henry among the five highest paid running backs in football. Tennessee sits with an estimated $50.7 million in cap space this offseason and still has to pay starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill an estimated $25 million. PFF Data Scientist Kevin Cole broke down Henry’s expected WAR and career player comparisons using a variety of factors and found Marshawn Lynch to be the upside and Carlos Hyde or C.J. Anderson as the downside. His receiving is nothing to pay for, either — Henry saw only 28 targets this year and dropped three while producing just one yard per route run, which ranks 37th of 48 qualifying running backs. Tennessee: don’t follow the same path the Rams, Cardinals and Cowboys took.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rams-cardinals-showed-why-teams-should-never-invest-running-backs

While not pertaining to Henry specifically, there's also this takeaway from the article and how easy it is to find RBs:

• Like 1

I’ll be glad when Henry is resigned and this thread turns to something else. Then again, it’ll be judged every time he has a bad game much like the whole Mariota debacle on if he was a franchise QB. You’re not replacing our best offensive player with ease like some of you think. I don’t need advanced bs stats to tell me he’s the one who was the biggest reason this team made the playoffs and made a run. Obviously other guys stepped up and Tannehill was big as well but much like I said before this season began, Henry is the key and will be until further notice. Just seems all of Titania can’t agree on everything which is good I guess but the dead horse has definitely run its coarse.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

21 hours ago, titans0021 said:

If we’re going to transition tag one of our big two free agents, it would have to be Henry.

Agreed. All it takes is one team that decides they want a QB and all the sudden you're in a bidding war over a position that will absolutely kill your season if you lose.

After the season he just had, I have a hard time believing there is no team that will offer him a contract better than 1 year $24m deal. Jimmy G got a bigger contract off fewer games.

• Like 1