2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

36 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Saying Henry can’t dominate or rush over 1500 yards next season is laughable. You do realize he missed a game, Lewan missed 4 games, Saffold had to get acclimated, Davis was a rookie & Art was a 1st time play caller, & Henry still faced a 10-12 box 👌🏽I think it’s possible Henry can again lead the league in rushing 

OK.  You can think that, but it's wishful thinking.  Running backs do not repeat those kinds of seasons, especially after an almost 400 carries season.  It just doesn't happen.

Even across positions, assuming someone's best season ever (in a contract year) is a good gauge for how they'll do going forward usually blows up in your face.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

OK.  You can think that, but it's wishful thinking.  Running backs do not repeat those kinds of seasons, especially after an almost 400 carries season.  It just doesn't happen.

Even across positions, assuming someone's best season ever (in a contract year) is a good gauge for how they'll do going forward usually blows up in your face.

Okay tell that to Adrian Peterson, LT, Clinton Emmitt Smith, Zeke led the league in rushing how many times 🤔. Again you’re basing this off what. Don’t get me wrong but records were made to be broken history was made to be changed you saying Henry can’t do it because of history, you might as well say the titans won’t win the Super Bowl because history shown we never gotten over the hump 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay tell that to Adrian Peterson, LT, Clinton Emmitt Smith, Zeke led the league in rushing how many times 🤔. Again you’re basing this off what. Don’t get me wrong but records were made to be broken history was made to be changed you saying Henry can’t do it because of history, you might as well say the titans won’t win the Super Bowl because history shown we never gotten over the hump 🤷🏽‍♂️

On that note. Pretty sure Chiefs fans felt they'd never get to or win a super bowl based ok history. 

History and numbers are good indicators but should not the be sole reason one makes a decision. 

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

On that note. Pretty sure Chiefs fans felt they'd never get to or win a super bowl based ok history. 

Bad comparison is bad.  At least try to counter with something valid.

If yall want to bet that he'll buck the trend, fine.  He deserves to be the highest paid RB in the league then.

Yes, there are examples of it working, but 90% of the time, it doesn't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

75 % of Tannehill throws cane off play action & the titans pretty much took the ball out of Tannehill hands. Tannehill is good there’s no doubt about it but let’s call it what he is an that’s a high efficient game manager.

He threw for 2.2 TDs and 260 yds per game in the regular season.

He was far from a game manager and that is a misconception based off of two playoff games. He's not a top tier QB, and he likely won't reproduce last season, but saying he was a game manager last season is downright false.

Game managers exist on teams where defenses are holding teams to 15 points or under and your team wins scoring 17. We averaged 30 PPG in the regular season and had one of the more explosive passing offenses in the NFL.

32 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson...

3 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

You plug & play any RB but will they dominate like Henry is the question. Ain’t a lot of backs has size, speed & tackle breaking ability as Henry, that’s a skill that don’t grow on trees. He led the league in yards after contact, he demands you stack the box with 10-12 guys that’s the thing, & that’s why Tannehill was so dangerous off play action. Again, 75% of Ryan Tannehill throws come off play action & art isn’t that good in the passing game, therefore he hides Tannehill by putting more of the load of the offense on Henry plate 

You're hyperbole and just plain false statistics aren't helping your argument.

Also, statistics have proven that having a star RB isn't necessary to have an effective play-action passing game, so your argument is based on nothing other than your unbacked assumption.

Edited by TitanSS

30 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Bad comparison is bad.  At least try to counter with something valid.

If yall want to bet that he'll buck the trend, fine.  He deserves to be the highest paid RB in the league then.

Yes, there are examples of it working, but 90% of the time, it doesn't.

Is what is. 

Pick any scenario you want. There is a story of history being defeated. 

6 seed going to AFC championship. Whatever. Odds are what they are...and sometimes they are defeated. 

51 minutes ago, Daniel said:

400 carries? He had 303 carries, 321 total touches. 

I keep seeing Derrick Henry compared to this historic RBs like Adrian Peterson, who is probably the best RB to ever play the game. I don't think he's accomplished near enough to put him on that level. A more realistic comparison in both size/athleticism and in terms of production is Brandon Jacobs and it's probably going to piss a lot of you all off to demonstrate this, but...

Brandon Jacobs - 6'4" 267 lbs - 4.56 official 40 yard dash at NFL Combine

Career Years 3 & 4 Combined:
    24 games, 421 carries, 17.5 carries/gm, 2098 yards, 5.0 YPC, 87.4 yds/gm, 19 TDs

Derrick Henry - 6'3" 247 lbs - 4.54 40 official 40 yard dash at NFL Combine

Career Years 3 & 4 Combined:
    31 games, 518 carries, 16.7 carries/gm, 2599 yards, 5.0 YPC, 83.8 yds/gm, 28 TDs

The difference being Henry's two massive playoff games which helped make him "unreplaceable" in the eyes of the fans and Jacobs being injured more often.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Is what is. 

What it is is a false equivalence that has nothing to do with the subject being discussed.  If yall's whole argument is that it doesn't blow up in your face 100 percent of the time, then I'm not going to argue with you.  Some people win big plugging money into slot machines, but that doesn't make them a good investment.  Just assuming that things will work out in your favor when most evidence points the other direction is a terrible way to run a franchise, or really to make any decision of any kind.  If that's what yall want, that's fine, you're entitled to that opinion.

1 hour ago, lovetitans said:

400 carries? He had 303 carries, 321 total touches. 

I believe you're just looking at the regular season stats there.

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

He threw for 2.2 TDs and 260 yds per game in the regular season.

He was far from a game manager and that is a misconception based off of two playoff games. He's not a top tier QB, and he likely won't reproduce last season, but saying he was a game manager last season is downright false.

Game managers exist on teams where defenses are holding teams to 15 points or under and your team wins scoring 17. We averaged 30 PPG in the regular season and had one of the more explosive passing offenses in the NFL.

No that’s not a game manager is a QB who takes what the defense gives him don’t force the issue, & doesn’t attempt a lot of passes. He’s a game manager stop it bro, I said he’s a high efficient 1. Oh & it has nothing to do with the playoff games it has everything to do with facts. Fact #1 this offense is a run 1st offense how we play football we run the ball to setup the pass not the pass to setup the run. I get it we finally have a QB that looked great but what you think Alex Smith was 🤔

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

What it is is a false equivalence that has nothing to do with the subject being discussed.  If yall's whole argument is that it doesn't blow up in your face 100 percent of the time, then I'm not going to argue with you.  Some people win big plugging money into slot machines, but that doesn't make them a good investment.  Just assuming that things will work out in your favor when most evidence points the other direction is a terrible way to run a franchise, or really to make any decision of any kind.  If that's what yall want, that's fine, you're entitled to that opinion.

I believe you're just looking at the regular season stats there.

I was taking a light approach with it, but here it is......

If your ONLY reason for not doing anything is because history tells you that it isn't the right thing, I believe you are wrong. What part of that isn't clear?

History showed at a QB from an Air Raid approach speficically from Texas Tech was doomed to be a failure. Should we go down the list?
1. Kliff Kingsbury
2. BJ Symons
3. Billy Joe Tolliver
4. Ron Reeves
5. Don Williams
6. Floyd Dellinger
7. Bob Witucki
8. Joe Barnes
9. Tommy Duniven
10. Patrick Mahomes

HISTORY.... NUMBERS... ODDS.....ANYALYTICS said that not one...NOT A SINGLE ONE....NOT ONE QB from Texas Tech would manage to be worth a flip when they get to the NFL. 

However, that one little odd ball named Patrick had something that made him different. Something that said the odds do not matter. 
So this has EVERYTHING to do with the idea that HISTORY should NO be the determining factor when you make any decision. If you are a successful franchise you look at it individually and make an informed well thought out decision. 

I don't care if 10000 RBs flame out on their 2nd contract, if I see a player that I have determined to be worth the investment you make the dang investment. 

So yeah, you can go with the odds and not resign Henry and likely be right, because of the odds. It doesn't however make it an automatic right decision. It also doesn't make it automatically the wrong decision to sign him either. I'd hope that Robinson and crew are making a well thought out decision when they make it. I would think it would be stupid to think they are saying...well Devonta Freeman sucked after he got paid so lets not even talk to Henry.  Man. Gurley and those bad knees sho is scary!  We bet not re-sign Henry!!

I said again, odds aren't 100% or else everyone would get it right.  Outliers exist. 

So .....yeah. it is what is

• Like 2