2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I agree but kareem Hunt failed to the 3rd round because of character issues. The saints could afford to let Ingram walk they had a RB waiting in the wing, & a Franchise QB we don’t have neither. The chargers didn’t need Gordon he stayed hurt to begin with & his dumb agent turned down 11 mill a year 😩, & they also had Rivers again a Franchise QB Lamar Miller never been nothing special, Jordan Howard is done, has no breakaway speed nor makes people miss, he’s basically Lendale white. David Johnson I like he was a tweeter coming out of college played both RB & WR. Kenyon drake hasn’t proven anything. I like Marlon Mack. now the question is who can carry our offense & be the focal point because this offense starts with the run 

The offense doesn't start with the run or the pass. The intention is to use both effectively and marry them together to be less predictable. The team is far from the "run-run-pass-punt" running team that we've seen before. Smith loved throwing on first and second down, as he should, as passing is the most effective way to move the ball and it is much easier to throw on first and second down than it is on third down. 

8 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

The offense doesn't start with the run or the pass. The intention is to use both effectively and marry them together to be less predictable. The team is far from the "run-run-pass-punt" running team that we've seen before. Smith loved throwing on first and second down, as he should, as passing is the most effective way to move the ball and it is much easier to throw on first and second down than it is on third down. 

That’s your way of justifying the offense doesn’t start with the run but we’re a run 1st team gotcha 👌🏽

Dang this Henry thing is old and not looking forward to whatever decision is made because people gonna say we either paid too much or were stupid for letting him go. lol

The deal is this....If you aren't going to resign the RB then you have to invest in a high draft pick for a special talent. 
And that has to be your way to operate.

Draft them high, get 4-5 years out of them then replace them with another high pick. To avoid paying.
But you are "paying" with a premium draft pick. 

Because the drafting a 5th round RB isn't a smart way to build a team. 
If we want to run the offense that we run, where running game is gonna be demanding then we need a guy that can handle to load.  And if we playing odds game, then higher drafted RBs have better odds to be able to handle that load and be productive. 

Chris Carson, Aaron Jones, Marlon Mack, Phillip Lindsey are guys that finished top 20 in rushing and were drafted outside the top 3 rounds. 

4 out of 20 isn't a great hit rate. But maybe it's enough to give some hope. 

I personally would rather use those early picks on an Edge, CB and QB/WR/RT( if Conklin walks).

If Henry leaves, I like Akers or Swift. Then Taylor also, but not sure he adds much in the passing game. 

I think those are the only guys that can give us something similar to Henry as far as carrying the load. 

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Dang this Henry thing is old and not looking forward to whatever decision is made because people gonna say we either paid too much or were stupid for letting him go. lol

You're not wrong.

Unfortunately, those are probably our two options, and we're all arguing over which is less bad.  I'd prefer if they could bring both him and Tannehill back short term, in which case I'd be comfortable paying both of them a large amount of money, and while that's likely to work for Tannehill, I doubt Henry would agree to that without a lot of pushback.

I'd be pretty comfortable giving Henry a big payday if there was a low enough amount guaranteed that they could get out of it in a year.  I want him back, and I want them to make it work, but I don't see it happening in a way I think is good for the team long term.

Rock and a hard place for our front office. I don't envy them. Basically have to decide which good-but-not-great player you want to overpay for at the risk of pissing off the other. I love em both, but neither of these dudes is gonna single-handedly win us a super bowl. 

Edited by ShupacTakur
  • Like 1

It wouldn't be popular with a large portion of the fanbase, but letting Henry walk and investing whatever money he was gonna eat up into further beefing up the defense is not a bad idea. It's reasonable to expect Tannehill to take a step back next season, but he'll still be a decent player, and I still think you can win big with him + an elite defense (similar vein of the 49ers). You'd have to find a formidable tailback in either the draft or FA that won't break the bank, but doing that + adding a couple more pieces to an already-talented defense is probably the most feasible pursuit available for the immediate future.

And that's coming from a huge Derrick Henry fan. JMO   

15 hours ago, ShupacTakur said:

It wouldn't be popular with a large portion of the fanbase, but letting Henry walk and investing whatever money he was gonna eat up into further beefing up the defense is not a bad idea. It's reasonable to expect Tannehill to take a step back next season, but he'll still be a decent player, and I still think you can win big with him + an elite defense (similar vein of the 49ers). You'd have to find a formidable tailback in either the draft or FA that won't break the bank, but doing that + adding a couple more pieces to an already-talented defense is probably the most feasible pursuit available for the immediate future.

And that's coming from a huge Derrick Henry fan. JMO   

Logically based on history of big contracts running backs there is a lot of merit in investing the money elsewhere and getting a replacement RB. If Henry goes, I think we draft a RB in the first round as we have a late 1st rounder anyways. One that can play three downs. That or we sign someone like Lamar Miller, Peyton Barber or Jordan Howard to pair with Dion Lewis. There are several quality RB options though if Henry moves on I think we go RB by committee. I think if Henry goes we will actually keep Dion Lewis. If Henry resigns, Lewis is gone.

I would personally like Melvin Gordon a lot in Tennessee because he is a three down back but don't see him being much cheaper if at all than Henry.

All that being said, 99 percent certain Derrick Henry is back with the Titans.

Edited by Titan89

Help me understand this please. Why is it the majority of the forum has a issue with Henry not being a 3 down back. News flash, if Henry was a 3 down back TN still wouldn’t use him to his potential. We could have Marshall Faulk, LT, Bell who ever you can think of as great receiving back & our offense will still fail him. Look at facts people,every skill position player in our offense, isn’t being used to maximize their full potential. Even before Humphries got hurt we did not use him in the passing game how TB used him. Look how the pats used Dion Lewis & tell me have we come close to getting any kind of production, NE got out of him as being a offensive weapon. Our Stud WR AJ brown had a 1000 yards avg 20 yards a catch an avg only 5 targets a game. Jonnu,what can I say the potential is there ,but we go games without getting him involved.
All I’m saying is look deep into the situation, & let’s not assume because someone isn’t a 3 down back they may not be worth the price they’re asking for. It’s about 1 thing does a person fit our scheme & can they thrive in our offense. We’re just a smash mouth run 1st team that take shots off play action here & there 

Edited by TitanRedd

I think something that's going to help out this offseason and maybe something we are overlooking is we don't have many free agents to resign next offseason. Adoree and Jonu smith are really the only two we need to worry about. I think that helps us a little this year. It could give us the flexibility to sign players this year but structure the contract in a way that shifts cap hit to next year.

I was thinking up a response to continue the RB discussion, but when my post about the recognized best RBs in the nfl is rebutted with the likes of Pollard, Eckeler, CJ Anderson, etc, there's really no reason to. It's obvious there's 2 very distinct trains of thought here... And its gotten ridiculous. 

So anyways, I've been thinking about the CB situation, and while I dont want us to go out there and sign any of these recently cut or rumored to be cut guys (unless any can be had at a huge discount)... It's left me thinking if Ryan's value will be somewhat depressed as a result. While Norman and Buoye aren't what they once were, they will still get attention in the FA market. Hargreaves is also a former 1st rounder, who even though has been cut twice in a few months, played in 15 games last year, after ending on the IR the previous 2 seasons. There's also been talks about Rhodes and Jenkins being cut this offseason as well. That's in addition to a FA market that includes Harris, Talib, Apple, Wayne's, Alexander, etc. 

With so many names available, Ryan may be able to be brought back at a discount. Maybe not enough for us to bring him back, but it does open that possibility a little. 

Hargreaves also becomes an option on a 1 year price it type deal. We can't deny the Houston connection with their DB coach last year now in TN. It's something to think about for sure, but it wouldn't keep me from drafting another cb with the first few picks this draft. 

10 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I was thinking up a response to continue the RB discussion, but when my post about the recognized best RBs in the nfl is rebutted with the likes of Pollard, Eckeler, CJ Anderson, etc, there's really no reason to. It's obvious there's 2 very distinct trains of thought here... And its gotten ridiculous. 

So anyways, I've been thinking about the CB situation, and while I dont want us to go out there and sign any of these recently cut or rumored to be cut guys (unless any can be had at a huge discount)... It's left me thinking if Ryan's value will be somewhat depressed as a result. While Norman and Buoye aren't what they once were, they will still get attention in the FA market. Hargreaves is also a former 1st rounder, who even though has been cut twice in a few months, played in 15 games last year, after ending on the IR the previous 2 seasons. There's also been talks about Rhodes and Jenkins being cut this offseason as well. That's in addition to a FA market that includes Harris, Talib, Apple, Wayne's, Alexander, etc. 

With so many names available, Ryan may be able to be brought back at a discount. Maybe not enough for us to bring him back, but it does open that possibility a little. 

Hargreaves also becomes an option on a 1 year price it type deal. We can't deny the Houston connection with their DB coach last year now in TN. It's something to think about for sure, but it wouldn't keep me from drafting another cb with the first few picks this draft. 

No thank you on Hargreaves, if you looked at NE last yr when they beat KC & how SF almost knocked em off in the playoffs, we need corners that can play bump & run, with speed. A guy I would love us to look at is Byron Jones, he’s long tall & physical. Not only that but he can play corner & safety equally well you can use him as a chess piece playing against KC have him shadow Kelce. 

8 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

No thank you on Hargreaves, if you looked at NE last yr when they beat KC & how SF almost knocked em off in the playoffs, we need corners that can play bump & run, with speed. A guy I would love us to look at is Byron Jones, he’s long tall & physical. Not only that but he can play corner & safety equally well you can use him as a chess piece playing against KC have him shadow Kelce. 

Thing is of we're not bringing Ryan back because of the contract, we're not bringing anyone in on a similar or more expensive contract. We'll be looking at bargains. 

And what we want from a player doesnt matter... It's what the staff is looking for to fit their scheme. I'm not sure any of us know what to exactly expect this coming year... But if it's similar to what Pees called, we won't be seeing much bump and run... More bend don't break zone crap. 

• Like 1