2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

2 hours ago, lovetitans said:

So your logic is Seattle can get creative and afford him even though they're closer to the cap. But the Titans would be in cap hell if we signed him? That makes zero sense.

Apologies I miss read and though it was you who said that. 

If we want Clowney we can get him. 

But getting creative doesn't just pertain to the specific contract, it's what you can do with other contracts. We've already made our moves... Removing the contracts of Walker, awake, Lewis, Succop, and Casey. We have the Jones and Butler contracts that we can also look at for relief... Whether it be trade, cut, or restructure. But not much else. 

I don't know Seattle's situation well, but by glancing at their page, they have a few players that can provide relief. I also see their dead money (under 1M, bottom 5) and that tells me they really haven't done much to this point as far as cuts and trades. By comparison, we're top 10 with 11M in dead money.

We've used our wiggle room, they haven't. 

Just wanted to point that out. 

If we hadn't signed Beasley I'd say we're all in on Clowney... But I just don't see it. I'd watch the DL and slot market for value guys. 

• Like 3

So word is that the Seahawks, Jets, and Titans are the 3 finalists for Clowney.  I still don't see it, but maybe.

A couple of other things to consider, in regards to the cap.

The Jets are sitting at about 37M, but also have 62 players under contract.  Seahawks have 64... we only have 53.  I can tell you that about the bottom 10 also don't have a shot at a roster spot... and while rookie and other minimum salaries cancel those out.. veterans have higher minimum contracts... so getting vet depth is more expensive... we may have a lot of rookies make the roster.

Also, more specific to the latest rumors on Clowney... the shorter the contract is, the harder it is get creative.  Simple math... there's just less years to push money into.  There's no getting creative on 1 year contracts, cap wise... and 2 year contracts offer some flexibility, but not much.   

The more I think about it, the more I think Clowney is a no. I think they’re going to use the extra cap to fill out the roster with middling to lower tier guys. I’m not exactly happy making a huge hole trading Casey but I could definitely see them not replacing him with a big name FA.  Still have needs for QB2, RB2, blocking TE(maybe bring back Pruitt), interior DL, edge, CB, OT, and possibly kicker.

I could see a some signings like Kevin Johnson, resigning Correa, and maybe Wisniewski as value guys. Correa will cost a little more due to position but he came on strong at the end of the season. Derek Wolfe is another player I could see them going after.

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

So word is that the Seahawks, Jets, and Titans are the 3 finalists for Clowney.  I still don't see it, but maybe.

A couple of other things to consider, in regards to the cap.

The Jets are sitting at about 37M, but also have 62 players under contract.  Seahawks have 64... we only have 53.  I can tell you that about the bottom 10 also don't have a shot at a roster spot... and while rookie and other minimum salaries cancel those out.. veterans have higher minimum contracts... so getting vet depth is more expensive... we may have a lot of rookies make the roster.

Also, more specific to the latest rumors on Clowney... the shorter the contract is, the harder it is get creative.  Simple math... there's just less years to push money into.  There's no getting creative on 1 year contracts, cap wise... and 2 year contracts offer some flexibility, but not much.   

I don’t see it either I agree with what titansfan4life is saying. Where are you seeing the top 3 finalist at?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoToneBlue said:

If there is no big signing or trade on the way, the Casey trade is very confusing.

Obviously it's cap related.  There's no doubt about that.  And while we need to fill out some depth spots, we had some other options.  Ie, we could have added an extra year to Beasley's contract to move some money to next year's cap... still giving him what we gave him this year; we could have lowered RT's number a bit this year, pushing a couple million back, etc...  

It's just confusing with the message put out there that we're going all in for a SB this year... and yet we cut a still productive player who happens to be one of our captains, longest tenured, and fan/lockerroom favorite.