Super Bowl LIV - San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win the Super Bowl?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• 49ers
    • Chiefs

43 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Thats why if I was a 49ers fan I would have been losing my mind at Shanahan running 1:20 off the clock to go into halftime instead of trying to get some points on the board. You gotta get as many points as you can against Mahomes, and the Chiefs defense is notoriously better in the 2nd half, so strike before they can make adjustments.

I think that proves Shanahan doesn't trust Jimmy G to throw the ball, especially with under 2 minutes. But I guess he did trust him to throw it when they were up 10 with about 7:30 left in the game instead of running it. Makes no sense.

Just now, dwaye50327 said:

I think that proves Shanahan doesn't trust Jimmy G to throw the ball, especially with under 2 minutes. But I guess he did trust him to throw it when they were up 10 with about 7:30 left in the game instead of running it. Makes no sense.

Yeah I think that interception was fresh on his mind and he was scared of Mahomes getting the ball back.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Maybe from this people will learn to quit the overemphasis on season long metrics. Chiefs had the best defense in the final 8 weeks of the season and had the better defense tonight.

Hard to compare apples to oranges when the Chiefs had to stop Jimmy G and the Niners had to stop Mahomes. As you said, this was the worst game of Mahomes career, and the pass rush getting to him all night was a major reason for that. For most of the game the 49ers clearly had the better defense. Nobody says the Patriots had a better defense than the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX because the latter couldn’t stop Brady

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

That seems to just be his offensive philosophy no matter who the trigger man is. As a head coach, he wants to end each half with the ball if possible. At least if the 49ers are getting the ball in the second half. He is too scared to give the ball back to the other team. I don't like that line of thinking, because in my opinion it's signaling to your team you don't have faith in them, and you're essentially playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. Shanahan did the same thing in the Ravens game a couple of months ago. 49ers actually got in field goal range if I remember, but barely. They didn't have enough time to continue to drive down the field, and Gould missed a long field goal to end the half. 

Final thoughts before I peace out: 

FISSION MAILED. But the 49ers will still be ticking for a couple more years barring significant injury to key players. The NFL is so funny. The 49ers could have a more dominant team next season, and lose in the first round of the playoffs, or have a worse team and win it all. The NFC West will be competitive with the cornerstone QBs, and the Saints and Packers are on the docket along with the AFC/NFC East. I think Jimmy will have a better year, but I really hope they focus on getting a vertical threat to help him. For defense, tag Armstead, let Ward go if you have to and draft a 1st round safety like McKinney (unless you trust Moore to take over) or corner since Sherman is getting up there in age. Maybe OT if Staley retires unless they like Brunskill to take over. I'm anxious to see what Jalen Hurd and Tim Harris can do. Trent Taylor might come back so that can help, but like I said I still want someone with some speed to take the top off since Goodwin is dead man walking. Also, I hope Kyle changes his thinking in terms of always wanting to end the first half with the ball. It bit him in the Ravens game, and it bit him here. Every situation/opponent is different, and he shouldn't have a rock solid philosophy like that. You gotta play to win the game instead of playing not to lose it. 

I'm already starting to get over it. It will just suck hearing all of the "I told you so" takes all offseason. Regardless, 49ers should still be in the mix for a little while. 

pWUzlFl.gif

• Like 2

I thought going in the Chiefs were about 10 points better, though I had predicted more like a 37-27 score.  The 49ers have a very good defense, but not a great defense.

-- QB bias again in MVP voting.  Damien Williams should have gotten it, as Mahomes played rather poorly for more than 3 quarters.  No different than SB51 where James White was the actual MVP

-- Kansas City had the better QB and the better Head Coach; there shouldn't be much argument about that.  For all of the criticism Reid gets for clock management it was Shanahan who screwed it up.  Jimmy G looked quite bad whenever he was pressured

-- I was quite happy seeing Richard Sherman get burnt over the top to set up the go-ahead TD.  The guy has always been quite overrated and gotten away with too much DPI

So happy for Reid and KC fans.

Mahomes will get whatever he wants - I honestly don' think $45 million is out of the question - and he's clearly worth even more than that.

Dude had zero protection all game - replace him with literally any other QB and the Niners win that game by double digits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

So happy for Reid and KC fans.

Mahomes will get whatever he wants - I honestly don' think $45 million is out of the question - and he's clearly worth even more than that.

Dude had zero protection all game - replace him with literally any other QB and the Niners win that game by double digits.

Thats why I'm saying in the Chiefs forum draft literally all OL with our draft picks. Give that man a clean pocket next SB and he's hanging 50 on the scoreboard.

1 minute ago, TDTimes said:

I thought going in the Chiefs were about 10 points better, though I had predicted more like a 37-27 score.  The 49ers have a very good defense, but not a great defense.

-- QB bias again in MVP voting.  Damien Williams should have gotten it, as Mahomes played rather poorly for more than 3 quarters.  No different than SB51 where James White was the actual MVP

-- Kansas City had the better QB and the better Head Coach; there shouldn't be much argument about that.  For all of the criticism Reid gets for clock management it was Shanahan who screwed it up.  Jimmy G looked quite bad whenever he was pressured

-- I was quite happy seeing Richard Sherman get burnt over the top to set up the go-ahead TD.  The guy has always been quite overrated and gotten away with too much DPI

Disagree on the MVP voting. You're taking what Mahomes did for granted.

He played poorly for three quarters but was under constant pressure. Even in the 4th quarter he was continually under pressure and made huge throws a hair before getting hit.

Williams stat line was incredibly bloated by a meaningless TD - if he goes down after picking up the first down, they most likely run the clock out without the Niners getting the ball back and win 24-20.

19 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Final thoughts before I peace out: 

FISSION MAILED. But the 49ers will still be ticking for a couple more years barring significant injury to key players. The NFL is so funny. The 49ers could have a more dominant team next season, and lose in the first round of the playoffs, or have a worse team and win it all. The NFC West will be competitive with the cornerstone QBs, and the Saints and Packers are on the docket along with the AFC/NFC East. I think Jimmy will have a better year, but I really hope they focus on getting a vertical threat to help him. For defense, tag Armstead, let Ward go if you have to and draft a 1st round safety like McKinney (unless you trust Moore to take over) or corner since Sherman is getting up there in age. Maybe OT if Staley retires unless they like Brunskill to take over. I'm anxious to see what Jalen Hurd and Tim Harris can do. Trent Taylor might come back so that can help, but like I said I still want someone with some speed to take the top off since Goodwin is dead man walking. Also, I hope Kyle changes his thinking in terms of always wanting to end the first half with the ball. It bit him in the Ravens game, and it bit him here. Every situation/opponent is different, and he shouldn't have a rock solid philosophy like that. You gotta play to win the game instead of playing not to lose it. 

I'm already starting to get over it. It will just suck hearing all of the "I told you so" takes all offseason. Regardless, 49ers should still be in the mix for a little while. 

pWUzlFl.gif

Strange feeling for me. Not going to lie - I was heavily rooting against the Niners because I despise them, but I like you as a poster.

Can't imagine what being a Niners fan must feel like - going from picking 2nd overall to being up 10 points with 10 minutes to go and having the ball, and then losing. Obviously the Niners were (WAY) ahead of schedule - but the harsh reality of the NFL, as I learned first hand this year, is that even making the Super Bowl is so difficult to do. People told me last year after the Super Bowl that it was easy money to pick against the Rams, and I laughed - and then we got to the middle of the season and I wasn't laughing anymore. 

Having said that, I don't see the Niners disappearing - but damn this division is going to be tough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Disagree on the MVP voting. You're taking what Mahomes did for granted.

He played poorly for three quarters but was under constant pressure. Even in the 4th quarter he was continually under pressure and made huge throws a hair before getting hit.

Williams stat line was incredibly bloated by a meaningless TD - if he goes down after picking up the first down, they most likely run the clock out without the Niners getting the ball back and win 24-20.

nah.  The Chiefs were up 4 points with 1:20 to play and SF had all of their timeouts.  Going down there would have been foolish

Mahomes was missing easy throws even when he wasn't being pressured.  His accuracy, even on completed balls, just wasn't there.  

2 hours ago, Kirill said:

Maybe from this people will learn to quit the overemphasis on season long metrics. Chiefs had the best defense in the final 8 weeks of the season and had the better defense tonight.

I'd look at both teams final 8 opponents before committing to that statement if I were you. 

Even last night, the 49ers defense looked better to me. They just had the task of going up against a juggernaut of an offense while the Chiefs D didn't have to. 

• Like 1