Super Bowl LIV - San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win the Super Bowl?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• 49ers
    • Chiefs

19 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The absolute cowardice to not call a timeout and try to move the ball for points before the first half is the lasting memory of Kyle Shanahan.

It's a Doug Marrone level fear of opponent / no trust in your team and there is no possible excuse.

I was somewhat shocked when the 49ers were still huddling with just over 2 minutes left.

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Was it Sherman that got burned on the big Tyreek 3rd down play? I thought it was Jimmie Ward. 

Nah...I think that was Ward or Moore....Sherman always lines up on the other side iirc...the only big play on which Sherman got burned was the Watkins catch

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I feel for Shanahan a little today. He will rightfully get roasted for the clock management at the end of the 1st half, and there's no hiding from the fact that he now has to own essentially 2 of the 3 worst 4th quarter collapses in Super Bowl history. 

He should have run the ball more in the 4th quarter, but even on that front, we're having a different conversation if Jimmy G has the presence of mind to spot a wide open Kittle on 3rd down, or he doesn't overthrow Sanders for a potential game winning TD. The playcalling worked in those situations but the execution didn't, although that then gets back to why Shanahan leaned on a QB who maybe couldn't be fully trusted to execute in the 4th quarter over his godly running game. 

Just goes to show how much of our narratives end up living and dying on small details. 

THIS.

I get that Shanahan didn't give his team a chance at the end of the first half. But he still managed to get his team in position to win once they lost the lead, and his QB folded under pressure. You simply don't miss that throw to Sanders if you are an NFL QB (among other things). People love finding narratives. The way I see it, Jimmy G was more the reason this team lost than Shanahan was. 

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Shanny has been the play caller for the 2 biggest super bowl collapses in history. Both times were because he got pass happy in the 4th quarter.

Feel like he’s going to get the Andy Reid stigma.

Weird, I brought up his last super bowl choke and was mocked and laughed at for it on here. I was told Andy Reid could never win a super bowl because he never won with McNabb. I was told Shanahan was going to coach circles around Reid.

Edited by Kirill

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The problem is, if he had called runs on 2nd and 3rd down and only picked up 3 total yards and had to punt, people would be saying that he got too conservative.

It is never a good idea to make decisions based upon public opinion. Bill Parcels used to say that coaches who listened to the people in the stands belonged in the stands themselves.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The end of the first half was atrocious and gutless though. That is what he should be criticized heavily for. 

Isn't that the series when Kittle got flagged for OPI?

2 minutes ago, TVScout said:

It is never a good idea to make decisions based upon public opinion. Bill Parcels used to say that coaches who listened to the people in the stands belonged in the stands themselves.

That call was pretty egregious. 

3 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Yep but even if the call wasn't made they probably still settle for a FG where if they called a TO after the defensive stop they'd be looking to score a TD. 

• Like 1

Another thing about Sherman. He has the worst agent in sports (himself)

He averaged around the 18th to 20th highest paid CB over this deal. (it could go down to 25th or worse net year depending on new deals)

The top rated 2019 CB according to PFF made Aaron Colvin money in 2018-2019 xD

in early January on Twitter, this dope thought he was getting vengeance for his contract because the 49ers made the playoffs.

He saved himself a max of just under 1 million for taking a deal that was 10-12 million undervalued.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That call was pretty egregious. 

WaPo:

"Former NFL referee Terry McAulay, now a rules analyst for NBC, wrote on Twitter that Kittle’s push “was significantly less force” than a shove by Minnesota Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph that went uncalled — and unchanged by instant replay — on his game-winning catch against the New Orleans Saints during this season’s NFC playoffs."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/03/controversial-penalty-49ers-george-kittle-provided-fitting-end-nfl-season/

3 minutes ago, TVScout said:

WaPo:

"Former NFL referee Terry McAulay, now a rules analyst for NBC, wrote on Twitter that Kittle’s push “was significantly less force” than a shove by Minnesota Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph that went uncalled — and unchanged by instant replay — on his game-winning catch against the New Orleans Saints during this season’s NFC playoffs."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/03/controversial-penalty-49ers-george-kittle-provided-fitting-end-nfl-season/

STRAWMAN ALERT

The guy covering Rudolph was holding him the whole way so it was considered 2 players engaged in hand fighting.

These plays are nothing alike.

Also, Kittle extends his arm against the CB not once but twice on the route.

200.gif

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1