Jump to content
DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIV - San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

Who will win the Super Bowl?  

205 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

    • 49ers
      98
    • Chiefs
      107


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Honestly it wasn’t even the wrong ball,  it was just a bad ball.   You can’t overthrow that,  Sanders had a TD on that 

He was working the rookie with deep help and ran by both, but Sanders just doesn't have the jets to run under it. With Hill, Watson, Hardman, even Robinson that's a completion. 

To be fair to JG, this is out at the end of his usable arm, so you should not expect a lot of accuracy. He's not a Stafford, Manning or Mahomes to put that long a ball in a bucket. 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, onejayhawk said:

He was working the rookie with deep help and ran by both, but Sanders just doesn't have the jets to run under it. With Hill, Watson, Hardman, even Robinson that's a completion. 

To be fair to JG, this is out at the end of his usable arm, so you should not expect a lot of accuracy. He's not a Stafford, Manning or Mahomes to put that long a ball in a bucket. 

J

Agreed,  just saying it wasn’t a bad read.   Just a bad throw.  Sanders won the route and had the TD,  JG just threw a bad ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Agreed,  just saying it wasn’t a bad read.   Just a bad throw.  Sanders won the route and had the TD,  JG just threw a bad ball

As do most QBs that deep. Mahomes is a mutant. Jimmy G is merely human.

J

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

He was working the rookie with deep help and ran by both, but Sanders just doesn't have the jets to run under it. With Hill, Watson, Hardman, even Robinson that's a completion. 

To be fair to JG, this is out at the end of his usable arm, so you should not expect a lot of accuracy. He's not a Stafford, Manning or Mahomes to put that long a ball in a bucket. 

J

Which is why he should have thrown the ball to Bourne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Which is why he should have thrown the ball to Bourne.

Perhaps, but coverage on Bourne was decent and the route took him toward more coverage. Remember that Jimmy G was almost picked the play before. Sanders is genuinely open for the score, but it's 55 yards in the air. 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Perhaps, but coverage on Bourne was decent and the route took him toward more coverage. Remember that Jimmy G was almost picked the play before. Sanders is genuinely open for the score, but it's 55 yards in the air. 

J

At the 8:50 mark on the vid Bourne was absolutely wide open 10 yards downfield. 

Otherwise JG should have slightly underthrown the ball to draw the PI. Terry Glenn was a master at stopping just before the ball arrived. I am surprised that trick is not used more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TVScout said:

At the 8:50 mark on the vid Bourne was absolutely wide open 10 yards downfield. 

Otherwise JG should have slightly underthrown the ball to draw the PI. Terry Glenn was a master at stopping just before the ball arrived. I am surprised that trick is not used more often.

That play was ran in practice 11 times and 10/11 Jimmy completed the pass to Sanders. 

Just a bad throw in the worst moment. Too much adrenaline I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, N4L said:

That play was ran in practice 11 times and 10/11 Jimmy completed the pass to Sanders. 

Just a bad throw in the worst moment. Too much adrenaline I guess. 

The play had Sanders as the first read. Chris Simms claims Fenton blew his assignment, who happened to be Bourne. The throw was not that bad. He put it out there to let his WR go make a play. In the 1st quarter it might have worked, but Sanders' legs were tired and he's not young any more. Even Mahomes was only 6 out of 15 at this distance. The one Mahomes just completed, he had a lake to throw it into and Hill could adjust. Garoppolo had to drop the ball in a bucket.

The actual bad play was after the 2nd and five play-pass to Kittle. That was the 49er's comfort zone, it was open for a first down, but Chris Jones batted it down. On 3rd and five, Jimmy G threw a dreadful pass that was almost intercepted. Neimann jumped up and down prior to the snap, to show a body in a coverage spot, then blitzed. The play design was for Kittle in that zone, so the defense suckered Jimmy G a bit that time. They got him off his first read, then they jumped the route he chose and almost picked it off. 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, N4L said:

That play was ran in practice 11 times and 10/11 Jimmy completed the pass to Sanders. 

Just a bad throw in the worst moment. Too much adrenaline I guess. 

Always harder in the moment. Especially a moment as big as the superbowl. Mahomes missed plenty of passes he wouldn't normally miss too, honestly. Should be expected, with their youth plus the stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The play had Sanders as the first read. Chris Simms claims Fenton blew his assignment, who happened to be Bourne. The throw was not that bad. He put it out there to let his WR go make a play. In the 1st quarter it might have worked, but Sanders' legs were tired and he's not young any more. Even Mahomes was only 6 out of 15 at this distance. The one Mahomes just completed, he had a lake to throw it into and Hill could adjust. Garoppolo had to drop the ball in a bucket.

The actual bad play was after the 2nd and five play-pass to Kittle. That was the 49er's comfort zone, it was open for a first down, but Chris Jones batted it down. On 3rd and five, Jimmy G threw a dreadful pass that was almost intercepted. Neimann jumped up and down prior to the snap, to show a body in a coverage spot, then blitzed. The play design was for Kittle in that zone, so the defense suckered Jimmy G a bit that time. They got him off his first read, then they jumped the route he chose and almost picked it off. 

J

It was almost picked because Bourne ran an incorrect route on the play also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a good game between two excellent teams.  It's a shame that either one of them had to lose, but that's just the way it works.  The 49ers have a great future and don't have anything to be embarrassed about.  They got farther than 30 other NFL teams and should be back in the running again soon.  Congratulations to the Chiefs on winning their first one in 50 years.  It has to feel good for Chiefs fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It was a good game between two excellent teams.  It's a shame that either one of them had to lose, but that's just the way it works.  The 49ers have a great future and don't have anything to be embarrassed about.  They got farther than 30 other NFL teams and should be back in the running again soon.  Congratulations to the Chiefs on winning their first one in 50 years.  It has to feel good for Chiefs fans.

I still think the 49ers staying power has been grossly overstated on here. Richard Sherman, Joe Staley, Emmanuel Sanders and a handful of other huge contributors aren't getting any younger and might not be back. Jimmy G is decent but he's not "that guy." George Kittle is about to get a MASSIVE payday. Dee Ford sucks and no, they can't cut bait with him this offseason for free. He's got 7M in dead money.

It's a long hard road back to the super bowl. Will be interesting to see what they do this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I've learned is that the offseason sucks even if you're SB champs.  It turns out all these years of disappointment and heartache playoff losses were not the cause of my sorrow, it was the knowledge that I won't get to watch my team play again for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kirill said:

I still think the 49ers staying power has been grossly overstated on here. Richard Sherman, Joe Staley, Emmanuel Sanders and a handful of other huge contributors aren't getting any younger and might not be back. Jimmy G is decent but he's not "that guy." George Kittle is about to get a MASSIVE payday. Dee Ford sucks and no, they can't cut bait with him this offseason for free. He's got 7M in dead money.

It's a long hard road back to the super bowl. Will be interesting to see what they do this offseason.

For the next season at least they should be fine. Sherman is under contract for one more year, and Staley is under contract for two, not to mention the fact that he likely wants a ring before he retires and doesn’t want that to be his last game. Sanders definitely is a tossup as to whether or not he stays, although if he does it’s likely on a smaller contract. The rest of the core, however, is quite young, and the only major pieces in free agency besides Sanders are Armstead and Ward, as well as a few depth players. 

However, you’re certainly right about it being hard to go back to the SB in the first place, even if you can keep your team intact, and the same applies to the Chiefs. 

Edited by jonnguy2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Piquel said:

Something I've learned is that the offseason sucks even if you're SB champs.  It turns out all these years of disappointment and heartache playoff losses were not the cause of my sorrow, it was the knowledge that I won't get to watch my team play again for a long time.

Yes but I bet this is the best offseason of not watching Chiefs football you've ever had!🍺

Anytime you feel down in the dumps, press DVR, pop in the SB54 DVD to get your Chiefs fix. That's what I did in the 2018 offseason.🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×