Super Bowl LIV - San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win the Super Bowl?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• 49ers
    • Chiefs

1 hour ago, dwaye50327 said:

I think that proves Shanahan doesn't trust Jimmy G to throw the ball, especially with under 2 minutes. But I guess he did trust him to throw it when they were up 10 with about 7:30 left in the game instead of running it. Makes no sense.

I feel for Shanahan a little today. He will rightfully get roasted for the clock management at the end of the 1st half, and there's no hiding from the fact that he now has to own essentially 2 of the 3 worst 4th quarter collapses in Super Bowl history. 

He should have run the ball more in the 4th quarter, but even on that front, we're having a different conversation if Jimmy G has the presence of mind to spot a wide open Kittle on 3rd down, or he doesn't overthrow Sanders for a potential game winning TD. The playcalling worked in those situations but the execution didn't, although that then gets back to why Shanahan leaned on a QB who maybe couldn't be fully trusted to execute in the 4th quarter over his godly running game. 

Just goes to show how much of our narratives end up living and dying on small details. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

nah.  The Chiefs were up 4 points with 1:20 to play and SF had all of their timeouts.  Going down there would have been foolish

Mahomes was missing easy throws even when he wasn't being pressured.  His accuracy, even on completed balls, just wasn't there.  

I think they had 2 TOs since that was a run on 2nd. I thought that if he slid down they'd have been able to end the game. 

Just finished watching the game. It was a pretty entertaining SB!

Congrats for the Chiefs and Andy Reid in particular, for getting that elusive ring! They have been at an high level for years, and it would be a shame if they got nothing for it (like the Chargers).

Hard game for the 49ers to swallow, at some point in the 2nd half it seemed set... and then.... they dropped the ball, or in this case, put it in Jimmy G's hands. 

That gameplan when ahead, a bit like it was to start the game, seemed to run away from what they did so well this season. They're a ball control offense, and Kyle just seems to got carried away with the gameplan and especially that Jimmy G is a playoff caliber QB. He isn't, and when they forced him to be one, it showed.

5 hours ago, sherm said:

And if he kept running the ball and we still lose...the hot take would be he didn't trust his QB. When we lose like we did it wasn't 1 play or side of the ball. Though Kyle being the HC he will have to carry this.

Also if Reid had lost the way it was headed...the hot take would be the same. He's not a big gm HC. It was already written for both teams...just needed to fill in the team name. Lol

It wasn't a 20/20 vision thing for me. When they were up 3 and ran it for 5 yards on 1st down, I was thinking, here we go. They'll run it twice to get 5 yards for the 1st down, burn clock, and orchestrate a long run-dominant drive to ice the game.

I do think that too much flak is being given to Shanahan. Having a 10-point lead on Mahomes is nothing and you have to credit the other team for a great comeback. They came up big when it mattered.

• Like 1

The thing about not running on 2nd and 5 is hilarious to me. The Chiefs stacked the box next play and Shanahan called a very good play. Kittle was WIDE open and had a chance to do some major damage after the catch but Jones just batted the ball down. Shanahan deserves some blame for a few things he did that game but not for that. Just couldn't get any first downs end of the game. Jimmy is usually money in situations like those and converts 3rd downs at a high clip but wasn't able to yesterday. Sucks, but it happens. 

• Like 2

The absolute cowardice to not call a timeout and try to move the ball for points before the first half is the lasting memory of Kyle Shanahan.

It's a Doug Marrone level fear of opponent / no trust in your team and there is no possible excuse.

This game will probably be remembered for a few things:

• Andy's win after 21 great years as a coach.
  • Mahomes first of likely several Super Bowls with those 3 comebacks down 24, 10, and 10.
  • Dame Williams run to seal the game in John Riggins style.
  • Jimmy G's terrible 4th quarter.
  • The Richard Sherman roast.
    • The Hill ankle breaker when the team was in Save Sherman Shell D
    • The face plant on the Williams TD
    • The scorched to cinders toasting of Sherm by Sammy Watkins
    • He wore Mamba to the game and he played like Darko

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This is depressing to read.

You're usually more upbeat than this.O.o

Well it was a joke. How about this:

The Dallas Texans, and lifelong Cowboys fan Mahomes, just won the superbowl. They just accidently did it for the wrong city. 

Damn, I still managed to make that negative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

I don't understand the 49s play calling. They were running the ball effectively but decided to throw. Around the 5:00 point they got a 5 yard gain on 1st down then threw 2 incs and had to punt. WTH?

This is the one (and only) criticism that can be leveled at the playcalling in the fourth quarter about "going away from the run". I'm not going to say that I hate calling a pass on second down there, but I think that there's an argument that can be made. The team was averaging 6 yards per carry. 

The problem is, if he had called runs on 2nd and 3rd down and only picked up 3 total yards and had to punt, people would be saying that he got too conservative. It's a little too much playing the results, so I'm not going to completely put him on blast for that one particular playcalling decision. 

The end of the first half was atrocious and gutless though. That is what he should be criticized heavily for. 

18 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The absolute cowardice to not call a timeout and try to move the ball for points before the first half is the lasting memory of Kyle Shanahan.

Agreed 100%, and this is actually a criticism I have levied at him throughout the year (The seattle finale was another instance where I heavily went after him for being gutless before the half). 

19 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Jimmy G's terrible 4th quarter.

Just brutal. 

19 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The Richard Sherman roast.

• The Hill ankle breaker when the team was in Save Sherman Shell D
  • The face plant on the Williams TD
  • The scorched to cinders toasting of Sherm by Sammy Watkins
  • He wore Mamba to the game and he played like Darko

Humorously, I thought he did a fine job on Kelce when he was locked up there. He did not have a great game when tasked with covering anyone else or several of the other plays.