Super Bowl LIV - San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win the Super Bowl?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• 49ers
    • Chiefs

Any commercials stick out to you guys? That google one still does for me. That’s probably going to be in my top 5 of favorite of super bowl ads, with #1 being the Chrysler 200 commercial being my all time favorite.

I love the commercials that I can personally connect with (and I know that’s their purpose).

Edited by candyman93

1 hour ago, Drained said:

Keep hearing on twitter that the inaccurate throw at the end of the game by Jimmy G was his chance to make an Eli, the difference is, Eli would have made that throw, most definitely.

That throw might have booked his ticket out of SF. Which would be unfair, but sports are unfair.

2 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

That throw might have booked his ticket out of SF. Which would be unfair, but sports are unfair.

I definitely don't think so but it's going to be over his head for the rest of his career, there will be questions over if hes a franchise QB im sure

2 hours ago, Habbsawce said:

Not this year for sure. You don't change horses in the middle of your super bowl run without the right circumstances (namely having drafted someone). I suppose it wouldn't be impossible if cousins comes up again that Kyle goes that route, but Jimmy is in SF for the foreseeable future

22 hours ago, N4L said:

Kittle turned towards the outside which let sorensen gain a step. sorensen and kittle both reach out at the 40 yard line and hand fight. Kittle separates, sorensen goes to grab him, kittle extends his arm in a response. 

www.twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/status/1224140020371480576 

Part of the reason I am so ticked off about this call is that the refs kept their flags in their pocket for the entire night. Later in the game with 4m left in the third quarter there was a 2nd and 8. Garoppolo threw a pass to emanuel sanders on the left side. Sanders ran a corner post route and got blatantly interfered with. #35 literally wrapped his arm around him and didnt let sanders break to the inside. There was no S over the top and its very likely that he would have scored a TD if he caught the pass. Either way, it was much much much more egregious than the kittle OPI and yet there was no call. 

The non holding calls from KCs OL are much more eggregious than the non calls on SFs OL. Go rewatch that hill catch on the 3rd and 15. Bosa gets completely hooked by your T. One of many blatant holding calls in the game that wasnt called. When I have more time I am going to break down exactly how many times your OL held our DL and post the exact time of each. I am going to try and be as unbiased as possible, as I am being now. 

That person was wrong. We were using a silent count and our RG hit the C to tell him to snap the ball, then moves back to get set. Your DT tried to time it and jumped early. It was blatant and saying anything other than it was a missed call is extremely biased. 

Just to clarify this, the 49ers RG clearly moved first on that play, likely in response to Mathieu showing blitz. Feel free to rewatch the video as much as you’d like. It’s not really even close.

But don’t mind me. Please continue your breakdown of how there was an uncalled penalty on the Chiefs on every single play. 

23 hours ago, N4L said:

Kittle turned towards the outside which let sorensen gain a step. sorensen and kittle both reach out at the 40 yard line and hand fight. Kittle separates, sorensen goes to grab him, kittle extends his arm in a response. 

www.twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/status/1224140020371480576 

Part of the reason I am so ticked off about this call is that the refs kept their flags in their pocket for the entire night. Later in the game with 4m left in the third quarter there was a 2nd and 8. Garoppolo threw a pass to emanuel sanders on the left side. Sanders ran a corner post route and got blatantly interfered with. #35 literally wrapped his arm around him and didnt let sanders break to the inside. There was no S over the top and its very likely that he would have scored a TD if he caught the pass. Either way, it was much much much more egregious than the kittle OPI and yet there was no call. 

The non holding calls from KCs OL are much more eggregious than the non calls on SFs OL. Go rewatch that hill catch on the 3rd and 15. Bosa gets completely hooked by your T. One of many blatant holding calls in the game that wasnt called. When I have more time I am going to break down exactly how many times your OL held our DL and post the exact time of each. I am going to try and be as unbiased as possible, as I am being now. 

That person was wrong. We were using a silent count and our RG hit the C to tell him to snap the ball, then moves back to get set. Your DT tried to time it and jumped early. It was blatant and saying anything other than it was a missed call is extremely biased. 

I've since seen a lot of these plays from different angles on Twitter, as more people have posted clips and tore through the game's footage. The RG clearly jerked backwards before our DT jumped on the supposed offsides. Suggs spent like half the play pointing at the RG to try to draw attention to the false start, too.

And the 3rd and 15 play, the end zone angle makes it look more like Fisher was pushing Bosa using Bosa's momentum towards the OL's right. The sideline view makes it look like a hook, especially with Bosa's reaction, but the end zone view makes it clear Fisher is just driving him to the side. He doesn't grab, he doesn't drag him to the ground, he's using Bosa's own speed to shove him out of position. Normally when a linemen gets beat and they hook them with that one arm to stop their momentum, they're either pulling them back or dragging them to the ground. This is Fisher pushing him and driving him to the side. Not a hold, IMO.

• Like 3

Maybe if Kyle when up 20-10 with 10 minutes left in the 4th decided to run the ball 3 straight downs instead of throwing twice on 2nd/3rd and 5, we're not having this conversation. 

That 3 in out drive changed the entire complection of the game. That was the momentum switch. You can argue non calls, balls over thrown all you want but in the end that series of playcalling probably cost the 49ers the SB!

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Maybe if Kyle when up 20-10 with 10 minutes left in the 4th decided to run the ball 3 straight downs instead of throwing twice on 2nd/3rd and 5, we're not having this conversation. 

That 3 in out drive changed the entire complection of the game. That was the momentum switch. You can argue non calls, balls over thrown all you want but in the end that series of playcalling probably cost the 49ers the SB!

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Playcalling absolutely did not cost them the game. Playcalling was fine. The plays were open. Execution was the flaw. 

First, its important to note that you're getting your series' messed up. When they went three and out with the two passes on 2/3rd and 5, they were only up a field goal. The drive when they were up 20-10, they went run (6 yards), completed pass (first down for 12 yards), run (1 yard), pass on 2nd and 9 (fairly common situation), penalty to make it 3rd and 14, and of course you're passing it in those situations. 

Now, when they were up 3 and had the 2nd / 3rd and 5, had they run it two more times and gotten stuffed, everyone would be on him about getting too conservative. Secondarily, go back and watch the plays. They were there. Second down, Kittle was open, and Deebo in particular was wide open in the flat. Jimmy threw the ball to kittle, and it was batted at the line. This is actually a very well designed play and a very good call. The team on the field mucked it up. 

Here's the third and 5. Kittle again wide open. 

People can hammer Shanny about the end of half disaster, but not the playcalling. What he called was open. The team couldn't make it work. It's legitimately no different than if he had called two runs and they had gotten stuffed. 

Then, of course, you can go to the final drive and his play had Manny open and Jimmy simply missed it. Jimmy was awful in the 4th quarter, point blank, and when he wasn't, the Chiefs made plays (like Jones' batting down passes) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

And the 3rd and 15 play, the end zone angle makes it look more like Fisher was pushing Bosa using Bosa's momentum towards the OL's right. The sideline view makes it look like a hook, especially with Bosa's reaction, but the end zone view makes it clear Fisher is just driving him to the side. He doesn't grab, he doesn't drag him to the ground, he's using Bosa's own speed to shove him out of position. Normally when a linemen gets beat and they hook them with that one arm to stop their momentum, they're either pulling them back or dragging them to the ground. This is Fisher pushing him and driving him to the side. Not a hold, IMO.

Just because you edit the video to stop before the holding becomes egregious doesn't mean it didn't happen. Here's a longer video from the same angle. Also for @N4L

The refs chose to "let the players play" which I'm generally against if it means moving the goal posts of what is OK and not, especially when you then choose to nitpick with the Kittle OPI. But all in all, I'd say that refs definitely had an impact but didn't ultimately decide the outcome. What cost the 49ers the game was how the OL (especially interior) broke down in the 4th quarter. If you know that the refs are going be lenient, why don't you take advantage of it? One of Chris Jones batted passes was especially frustrating as 49ers had three blockers on him and still allowed him to get up and block what would have otherwise been a sure-fire first down to Kittle down the middle. 

Jimmy G missed some throws as well but wasn't given much time. I missed some creativity in the play-calling as well, Deebo was doing so much damage in the first but wasn't much of a factor in the 2nd. Then again, play-calling gets so much harder when you can't get into a rhytm and are struggling on every play. What it all comes down to is that it absolutely sucks losing but the Chiefs were a formidable opponent that will never be out of a game as long as they have Mahomes and all that speed on the field. Congrats to all you Chiefs fans. 

Jones_Swat.jpg

Edited by evilflamingo
  • Like 1