Super Bowl LIV - San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win the Super Bowl?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• 49ers
    • Chiefs

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed, if it happened twice it’s probably not coincidence. Under 200 yards both games and 1 INT. Both picks were pressure and threw into a right quarter zone. We’ll find out Sunday if a 4-3 Cover 3 Scheme with pressure is his kryptonite. Can guarantee 49ers DC watched every KC Offensive Snap vs Chargers 5+ times. 

In that 2nd game Chiefs started taking advantage of the Cover 3. Throw in a lot of underneath concepts with deep routes for confusion. 

so I hope they stick to their guns and don’t confuse Pat. Should be an easy victory if that’s the case.

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed, if it happened twice it’s probably not coincidence. Under 200 yards both games and 1 INT. Both picks were pressure and threw into a right quarter zone. We’ll find out Sunday if a 4-3 Cover 3 Scheme with pressure is his kryptonite. Can guarantee 49ers DC watched every KC Offensive Snap vs Chargers 5+ times. 

So explain the two games where he was incredibly productive against the same Chargers defense in 2018. Did he know how to beat Cover 3 in his second game as a pro, but then forget?

You're either saying it's an anomaly that he had no issues against Cover 3 schemes against 2018, or you're saying it's an anomaly that he had two so-so games against Cover 3 schemes in 2019. Because he had no issues passing against the Chargers twice in 2018, the Seahawks in 2018, and the 49ers in 2018.

It's lazy analysis and people hoping that there's a kryptonite.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

In that 2nd game Chiefs started taking advantage of the Cover 3. Throw in a lot of underneath concepts with deep routes for confusion. 

so I hope they stick to their guns and don’t confuse Pat. Should be an easy victory if that’s the case.

I’m sure the Niners are gonna give him like 15+ different Cover 3 looks with a different zone in place all the time to mix things up and try to force him to make a mistake. 

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

So explain the two games where he was incredibly productive against the same Chargers defense in 2018. Did he know how to beat Cover 3 in his second game as a pro, but then forget?

You're either saying it's an anomaly that he had no issues against Cover 3 schemes against 2018, or you're saying it's an anomaly that he had two so-so games against Cover 3 schemes in 2019. Because he had no issues passing against the Chargers twice in 2018, the Seahawks in 2018, and the 49ers in 2018.

It's lazy analysis and people hoping that there's a kryptonite.

See above. No one just sits in a Base Cover 3 all day. You are going to mix that Cover 3 up throughout the game with different zones. Maybe one play you have a upper quarters zone and also a shallow one? Maybe one play they have like 5 hook zones and no quarters zones and one deep zone. 

There is no such thing as just sitting in a base zone all day. He’s gonna get a bunch of Cover 3 concepts with modified zones every play, also gonna get Cover2, and some Man. 

The Chargers didn’t just stay in a Cover 3 Base all day. They mixed it up and baited Mahomes. Before the INT, that quarters zone was playing much more shallow. 

This is not as black and white as you make it sound. Football is a chess match on defense. Especially zone coverage. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

I’m sure the Niners are gonna give him like 15+ different Cover 3 looks with a different zone in place all the time to mix things up and try to force him to make a mistake. 

See above. No one just sits in a Base Cover 3 all day. You are going to mix that Cover 3 up throughout the game with different zones. Maybe one play you have a upper quarters zone and also a shallow one? Maybe one play they have like 5 hook zones and no quarters zones and one deep zone. 

There is no such thing as just sitting in a base zone all day. He’s gonna get a bunch of Cover 3 concepts with modified zones every play, also gonna get Cover2, and some Man. 

The Chargers didn’t just stay in a Cover 3 Base all day. They mixed it up and baited Mahomes. Before the INT, that quarters zone was playing much more shallow. 

The Chargers didn't bait him into anything. Either he and Hill miscommunicated, or he straight up threw an uncatchable ball. It isn't like he didn't see a zone defender. He threw a ball that no Chief could catch.

I know they're going to mix it up. Never said they wouldn't. But you're the one making the horrendous claim that a 4-3 Cover 3 scheme might be his kryptonite. He has beaten that scheme multiple times already in his young career.  Yes, there will be other concepts and variations. As there were against LAC this year. As there were against LAC, SEA, and SF last year.

You don't become an elite QB by having a scheme that you can't beat. If the 49ers D bests us, it will not be because Pat's kryptonite is a 4-3 Cover 3 defense. It will be because their defense is really good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

The Chargers didn't bait him into anything. Either he and Hill miscommunicated, or he straight up threw an uncatchable ball. It isn't like he didn't see a zone defender. He threw a ball that no Chief could catch.

I know they're going to mix it up. Never said they wouldn't. But you're the one making the horrendous claim that a 4-3 Cover 3 scheme might be his kryptonite. He has beaten that scheme multiple times already in his young career.  Yes, there will be other concepts and variations. As there were against LAC this year. As there were against LAC, SEA, and SF last year.

You don't become an elite QB by having a scheme that you can't beat. If the 49ers D bests us, it will not be because Pat's kryptonite is a 4-3 Cover 3 defense. It will be because their defense is really good.

I don’t think you understand defenses. Cover 3 isn’t a single play with a single look. It can have almost a 100 different looks. Something as simple as your quarters route covers 3 yards lower. Both Chargers game, their Cover 3 was constantly mixed up, different zones, and the zone placement constantly mixed up to keep Mahomes guessing. This is a fact...

Kryptonite is a strong word. I’m not saying Mahomes would be bad against this scheme every time. He’s a fantastic QB. I’m saying Cover 3 with a multitude of mix ups and creative looks, with pressure, with a fantastic DLine, is the way to beat Mahomes. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t think you understand defenses. Cover 3 isn’t a single play with a single look. It can have almost a 100 different looks. Something as simple as your quarters route covers 3 yards lower. Both Chargers game, their Cover 3 was constantly mixed up, different zones, and the zone placement constantly mixed up to keep Mahomes guessing. This is a fact...

Kryptonite is a strong word. I’m not saying Mahomes would be bad against this scheme every time. He’s a fantastic QB. I’m saying Cover 3 with a multitude of mix ups and creative looks, with pressure, with a fantastic DLine, is the way to beat Mahomes. 

And you're a fool for it.

Cover 3 works against Mahomes Strengths, it’s an all out attempt to take away the deep ball, Mahomes bread and butter. The short passing game will be crucial.

not going to be an easy game. Any team that can rush consistently with just the front four is formidable. But Mahomes is magic, and he’ll be prepared.

Now we are on to the 'confuse the greatest QB in the history of the sport through 35 starts' angle.

I guess he has only thrown 18 picks vs 87 TDs in those 35 starts because he's so easily confused by a defense trying to stop him by changing coverages.

In those 35 starts the Chiefs have scored less than 23 points once.

I guess that's because no one else was smart enough to mix coverages.

You guys are way way over simplifying it. 

I’m saying the best way to beat Mahomes and slow that offense down as a whole is a 4-3 Cover 3 Scheme with 20+ different looks and constantly changing the zones up in the Cover 3, WITH pressure, and WITH a great defensive line. Not guaranteed to stop them and no where near as easy as it sounds. The Niners DL and Chargers DL are both fantastic. 

Stop over simplifying it to fit narratives. “Yeah confuse Mahomes is the key!!!!”, how ridiculous. Never said that, at least not in the simple way you are implying. Defense is a chess game, what I said is nothing short of that. Keep mixing up the Cover 3 looks on almost every play, and add some Cover 2’s and Man every once in a while, and keep adding pressure but pick your poison. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1