Time To Heal (Or How I Learned to Stop Crying and Look Forward to the 2020 Season and Love the Future)

MacReady

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

All we can hope is that LaFleur takes the steps to see that it doesn't happen a again.  Hopefully it's a big learning experience for him.  Got to figure Pettine is on shaky ground.  The way that Shanahan attacked Pettine's defense you'd think it was almost personal.  After seeing a video the other day of that sideline incident between Pettine and Shanahan when they worked together, I think it was.  Shanahan wanted to humiliate Pettine, and I think he accomplished it.

That video was of Pettine deferring to Shanahan..

12 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, I've agreed all along that we need help on the DL, another upper tier player to play along side Clark. I was pounding the table for it at the trade deadline but Gute didn't make a move. That being said, you could cherry pick and show me a 100 of these and my response would be the same. I don't want 50 anywhere near this starting lineup come TC 2020. He's a great guy, great "Packer" and I hope he does well in Miami or Cincinnati next year. 

I'm pleased with the FA players Gute brought in on defense but the issues with this defense started several years ago.  How many defensive draft picks since 2012 are still on this team?  We've swung and missed on far too many picks and when you are mostly draft and develop and the players you are picking don't turn out that is a real killer.  This spring will be Gute's third draft so correcting this is still a work in progress.  Thankfully Gute isn't afraid to dabble in FA to supplement the draft to improve the roster.

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

I'm pleased with the FA players Gute brought in on defense but the issues with this defense started several years ago.  How many defensive draft picks since 2012 are still on this team?  We've swung and missed on far too many picks and when you are mostly draft and develop and the players you are picking don't turn out that is a real killer.  This spring will be Gute's third draft so correcting this is still a work in progress.  Thankfully Gute isn't afraid to dabble in FA to supplement the draft to improve the roster.

Last year's FA class was possible BECAUSE of the crappy drafts. We came to a year where we literally had no one to resign from the draft class 4 years prior.

It somewhat evens out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Last year's FA class was possible BECAUSE of the crappy drafts. We came to a year where we literally had no one to resign from the draft class 4 years prior.

It somewhat evens out.

Big dollar price to pay along with absolutely no depth was the result.  Gute hit it out of the park on defense with his free agents ... Turner is ok but jury still out.  A team needs to hit on it's draft as those players cost a heck of a lot less than the millions spent trying to replace those draft misses.  Don't think it evens out anywhere near equal.   One thing for sure, Packers now have a GM that isn't afraid to use every method available to improve this team.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spilltray said:

It does though. If that had been our internal draft class resigned, the cost would have been very similar. Having money in FA is a result of not having guys worth resigning to 2nd contracts. It's a pretty direct correlation most of the time.

Sure there's a direct correlation.  However, this year Gute hit on those free agent picks.  How often does a player get overpaid going to a different team and flop?  When resigning  your own, they know your system, etc.  There's a reason most teams let a player go and it just isn't always because they can't afford them.  Buyer beware.  It's a crap shoot for sure though ... draft picks can bust too but that dollar cost for them is much much less.

7 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Sure there's a direct correlation.  However, this year Gute hit on those free agent picks.  How often does a player get overpaid going to a different team and flop?  When resigning  your own, they know your system, etc.  There's a reason most teams let a player go and it just isn't always because they can't afford them.  Buyer beware.  It's a crap shoot for sure though ... draft picks can bust too but that dollar cost for them is much much less.

The fact that FA signings hit or miss is a completely different point than the relation between missing on a draft class and having money for a FA class 4 years later. It also doesn't change the fact that the depth evens out because you either resigned your own class or got FA. It's not really that much of a crap shoot though. There are people who do a pretty good job sifting the good signings from the bad ones. It's easier than projecting draft picks IMO.

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The fact that FA signings hit or miss is a completely different point than the relation between missing on a draft class and having money for a FA class 4 years later. It also doesn't change the fact that the depth evens out because you either resigned your own class or got FA. It's not really that much of a crap shoot though. There are people who do a pretty good job sifting the good signings from the bad ones. It's easier than projecting draft picks IMO.

Guess it just depends how a team wants to spend its money.   49ers did it mainly through the draft and trades although it took them 7 years of sucking to get there.   Spending $$ on free agency when it works like this year's Packers is wonderful.   I hope the Packers utilize both the draft and free agency again this year ... don't care where the dollars are spent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

The fact that FA signings hit or miss is a completely different point than the relation between missing on a draft class and having money for a FA class 4 years later.

GB also let some players (and cost) go which had nothing to do with their draft status. (Read: Matthews, Cobb....etc).

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

GB also let some players (and cost) go which had nothing to do with their draft status. (Read: Matthews, Cobb....etc).

Well, they didn't cut either of the two guys you mentioned.  They left when their contracts were up.  It isn't like letting them leave "cost" GB any money.

Unlike a bad FA signing when you eat dead cap.

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yes it was vets not retained. That helped too, but the majority of it was having no players for 2nd contracts rather than expiring older contracts.

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

Yes it was vets not retained. That helped too, but the majority of it was having no players for 2nd contracts rather than expiring older contracts.

Alright, could be. I was just supplementing your comment. I didnt research the numbers.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Well, they didn't cut either of the two guys you mentioned.  They left when their contracts were up.  It isn't like letting them leave "cost" GB any money.

Unlike a bad FA signing when you eat dead cap.

? I didnt say they cut the players cited. They let them go as opposed to trying to resign them so the cost came off the books and was available for the FA market.