Time To Heal (Or How I Learned to Stop Crying and Look Forward to the 2020 Season and Love the Future)

MacReady

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Because they were old and not playing well. If those guys contributed in 2018, they wouldn't have been let go.

This may be true although CM was getting a bit long in the tooth....so how eager GB was to keep him.....cant say.

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

Last year's FA class was possible BECAUSE of the crappy drafts. We came to a year where we literally had no one to resign from the draft class 4 years prior.

It somewhat evens out.

Saying we had literally no one to resign from previous draft classes is a damning indictment of Ted.  It really doesn't even out because these lousy drafts deprived us of DEPTH.  Last year's FA group is great but we still had nobody behind them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Now that Pettine is coming back, got anymore ideas on how to stop crying, heal, and learn to love the 2020 season?

Have to say, part of me is glad he's coming back (1) to keep familiarity in the system (not trying to win a SB with a brand new DC/system) and more importantly, (2) this to me sends a clear message that LaFleur/Gute think the problem is still more "talent" and less about coaching. Translation, I'm expecting Gute to be as aggressive as financially possible again this off-season to address the roster. 

LaFleur basically admitted today that talent wise the gap with SF is big (whether he's right or just trying to cover himself/other coaches, who knows), but he was clear (unlike Rodgers) that the talent gap is pretty large right now. For next year at least, Pettine's job is safe because I think the "not enough talent at key positions" argument won.  

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Have to say, part of me is glad he's coming back (1) to keep familiarity in the system (not trying to win a SB with a brand new DC/system) and more importantly, (2) this to me sends a clear message that LaFleur/Gute think the problem is still more "talent" and less about coaching. Translation, I'm expecting Gute to be as aggressive as financially possible again this off-season to address the roster. 

LaFleur basically admitted today that talent wise the gap with SF is big (whether he's right or just trying to cover himself/other coaches, who knows), but he was clear (unlike Rodgers) that the talent gap is pretty large right now. For next year at least, Pettine's job is safe because I think the "not enough talent at key positions" argument won.  

LaFleur also said today he needed time to evaluate and assess everything.  Apparently 4 hours was enough, LOL.

Another point of perspective about Pettine: his system/defense worked against division teams, which probably carried some weight. 

In 2019: 

Bears - 3 points; 13 points

Vikings - 16 points; 10 points

Lions - 22 points; 20 points

Hell, the team that did the best was Detroit, but in both games our defense was really strong in the 2nd half. 

Quite honestly, the Niners may be our kryptonite, every team has one. The great Packers teams of the mid 90s could never beat Dallas. We finally got to the Super Bowl in '96 and '97 not by beating Dallas, but because they were no longer in the discussion. The best way for the Packers to overcome the Niners in 2020 may be just hoping we don't play them in January...

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pugger said:

Saying we had literally no one to resign from previous draft classes is a damning indictment of Ted. 

Having a referendum on Ted Thompson is kind of pointless.  In his day, he was among the best GMs and the best drafters in the league.  Age and health issues took that away from him, like it's gonna take everything away from everybody else.

42 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Another point of perspective about Pettine: his system/defense worked against division teams, which probably carried some weight. 

In 2019: 

Bears - 3 points; 13 points

Vikings - 16 points; 10 points

Lions - 22 points; 20 points

Hell, the team that did the best was Detroit, but in both games our defense was really strong in the 2nd half. 

Quite honestly, the Niners may be our kryptonite, every team has one. The great Packers teams of the mid 90s could never beat Dallas. We finally got to the Super Bowl in '96 and '97 not by beating Dallas, but because they were no longer in the discussion. The best way for the Packers to overcome the Niners in 2020 may be just hoping we don't play them in January...

This.  The 49ers are the worst possible match up for the Packers.  For whatever reason, their personnel vs Packer personnel is a miss match of their best and our worst.  The NFC West was decent this year vs SF and going to get better. Heck, Seattle was 6" away from being the #2 seed and SF the #5.  Best way to beat them is to not meet them.

This year's reaction to the season's end is no different than the other years when the Packer's got close, but ultimately defeated before the Super Bowl.  It's a fair assessment to say that San Francisco (or Atlanta, or Seattle, or Andy Reid's Philadelphia teams, or the Greatest Show on Turf Rams, or even the early 90's Cowboys) were better than the Packers that particular year.  I don't think the smart reaction is to: 

A) Copy what that team is because their circumstances in building that team were different

B) Try to build your team to specifically stop that team

Historically, these teams that have ended the Packer's season had a run of 4 very good years at most.  Atlanta was in the Superbowl three years ago and have been sub .500 the last two years. I think is a foolish to be focused on any outside team as the standard to replicate.  The focus needs to be on becoming the standard rather than matching it.  As many have pointed out DL and WR could use a shot of talent.  I'm excited to see the second year of the LaFleur era.

Good Defense?  I'll give you the 2d Vikings game and 1st half against Seattle.

The rest, in my opinion wasn't good but opportunistic. 

1st Bears game, both offenses stunk.  They were starting to move the ball.  We intercepted them in the endzone.  1st Vikings game was the same.  I'm joyfully happy about those.

Carr fumbled through the endzone near end of first half when trying to score to try.  We weren't stopping the Raiders.  But for some reason, Rodgers played more in the system and we scored twice to open up a 21 point lead. 

How about the 2d - 3d string and rookie QBs:  Broncos, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Chiefs, Lions.  More than 25% of the schedule.

I hope everyone who is optimistic is right.  We got awfully lucky not being injured, playing opponents not best team, and getting tons of bounces.

I think blaming personnel and ignoring the coaching deficiencies on defense will not lead to a happy next season 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coachbuns said:

This.  The 49ers are the worst possible match up for the Packers.  For whatever reason, their personnel vs Packer personnel is a miss match of their best and our worst.  The NFC West was decent this year vs SF and going to get better. Heck, Seattle was 6" away from being the #2 seed and SF the #5.  Best way to beat them is to not meet them.

Our DL/LB group is easily the weakest part of the team.  Clark is elite and Martinez is an above average starter, but the rest of those groups weren't even decent to average.  Lowry is better than the rest and has his match-ups he'll win hard, but those 31" arms really hurt him against bigger, longer OL and the 49ers OL is as long as they come.  Past him, Lancaster is the kind of guy you hope doesn't see the field and Adams still doesn't know what the hell he's doing.  At LB, Goodson can fill with some violence but he doesn't move very well and his instincts are nowhere near good enough for that player.  Everything behind him was trash this year.  I need to see Burks with an actual TC and some reps, but you certainly can't pencil him in to even be a rotational guy at this point.  Top to bottom this group is just a giant, glowing weak spot in the defense, and the 49ers are built specifically to attack those groups.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Our DL/LB group is easily the weakest part of the team.  Clark is elite and Martinez is an above average starter, but the rest of those groups weren't even decent to average.  Lowry is better than the rest and has his match-ups he'll win hard, but those 31" arms really hurt him against bigger, longer OL and the 49ers OL is as long as they come.  Past him, Lancaster is the kind of guy you hope doesn't see the field and Adams still doesn't know what the hell he's doing.  At LB, Goodson can fill with some violence but he doesn't move very well and his instincts are nowhere near good enough for that player.  Everything behind him was trash this year.  I need to see Burks with an actual TC and some reps, but you certainly can't pencil him in to even be a rotational guy at this point.  Top to bottom this group is just a giant, glowing weak spot in the defense, and the 49ers are built specifically to attack those groups.

Absolutely correct thought process!