Time To Heal (Or How I Learned to Stop Crying and Look Forward to the 2020 Season and Love the Future)

MacReady

43 minutes ago, persiandud said:

We went to the NFCCG with a rookie head coach! Do we have flaws? For sure, but we're right there guys. It won't be easy, this conference is really tough but I trust Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur to get us here again

No doubt .. exceeded expectations by a mile.  Gute is going to have to hit free agency hard or we could be a big regression candidate.  We had the healthiest season I can ever remember, and a repeat of that is anything but a given.  Things kind of just happened to break our way this season .. hope it can happen again.  I think of the Bears 2019 season .. hope we don't wind up in a similar spot in 2020.

11 hours ago, Scoremore said:

IDL needs to be fortified.  Need a big run stuffing DT to put in on early downs.  Need 2 players there.  Also Martinez is likely gone.  Need 2 ILB's as well.   That will fix the D.  On offense a couple of WR's possibly a TE to replace Graham if he is not retained.  He'll have to take a major pay cut if he wants to stick around.  Not that far away.  We should have signed a big 340 lb monster to shore up the run.  One thing that was missing this year and it cost us today.  

Gilbertburger.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like people are going to be unhappy this offseason because the kind of FA DT that the Packers would be smartest to sign is a Ryan Pickett type- steady but not the biggest name on a "free agents" list.

If they can plug the holes - if they're "players" and not just bodies - fine with me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

No doubt .. exceeded expectations by a mile.  Gute is going to have to hit free agency hard or we could be a big regression candidate.  We had the healthiest season I can ever remember, and a repeat of that is anything but a given.  Things kind of just happened to break our way this season .. hope it can happen again.  I think of the Bears 2019 season .. hope we don't wind up in a similar spot in 2020.

Honestly, LaFleur might be 2020's Matt Nagy suffering a sophomore slump 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Nagy is an arrogant turd. I have 0 worries about this. Completely different personalities.

I bet LaFleur's attention will be entirely focused on how to beat the 49'ers.  He's got to be extremely embarrassed by the performance of his team against them .. not once, but twice. 

1 minute ago, Norse65 said:

Based on Martinez reaction it’s hard not to wonder if they’ve told his agent to test the market.  The Packers need to get a handle on his value to the rest of the league before making an offer.  If they would even be considering his return .

If his market is lukewarm they will probably bring him back.  He's a good player .. but probably has topped out already.  We need another good player next to him with some serious coverage ability. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If his market is lukewarm they will probably bring him back.  He's a good player .. but probably has topped out already.  We need another good player next to him with some serious coverage ability. 

Next to him?  He’s almost always the only ILB on the field.  We either go with him or we go with someone else lose.  

5 minutes ago, Norse65 said:

Based on Martinez reaction it’s hard not to wonder if they’ve told his agent to test the market.  The Packers need to get a handle on his value to the rest of the league before making an offer.  If they would even be considering his return .

He's #2 in total tackles. He's gonna get play from some other teams. He might not be Mr. Dynamic "Sideline 2 Sideline" Guy - but in a different system? Somebody's gonna value those tackles plus since 2017 (when he played in 13 games) - he's been on the field for 48 straight games. 

Top tackler who's never injured (or misses games?). 

51 minutes ago, persiandud said:

Honestly, LaFleur might be 2020's Matt Nagy suffering a sophomore slump 

I don't see it that way.  I saw a conservative offense under MLF.  Nagy was pretty wide open and his QB couldn't handle it.

I hope they get some new, better WR's for next year and evolve this thing.  

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Next to him?  He’s almost always the only ILB on the field.  We either go with him or we go with someone else lose.  

We play two linebackers on occasion and would probably do it more frequent if Pettine trusted Burks.  Burks is bad though .. so Pettine rolls with one guy. I don't think it's by choice.