Time To Heal (Or How I Learned to Stop Crying and Look Forward to the 2020 Season and Love the Future)

MacReady

4 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Who said Martinez was the reason we lost to SF other than you making up that argument?

The discussion you entered into was about the Packers speed deficiencies.

I merely pointed out the indisputable fact that Blake is slower than all of the 49ers LBs and considerably slower than other top ILBs.

And it is not exactly a revelation that Martinez is not a top athlete. From his 2016 scouting combine report:

WEAKNESSES

Slow twitch with borderline play speed. Below average lateral quickness

If we're not losing games because of it, why complain about it? Martinez isn't the problem.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

If we're not losing games because of it, why complain about it? Martinez isn't the problem.

No on ever said Martinez is THE problem but he is part of the problem. He fully earned that poor 58.7 PFF score this season.

Martinez is also a FA and is seeking upwards of $10M a year, so while you attempt to shut down discussion about him, I'll be right here.

Why don't you tell us how much $ the Pack should pay Blake Martinez going forward.

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

No on ever said Martinez is THE problem but he is part of the problem. He fully earned that poor 58.7 PFF score this season.

Martinez is also a FA and is seeking upwards of $10M a year, so while you attempt to shut down discussion about him, I'll be right here.

Why don't you tell us how much $ the Pack should pay Blake Martinez going forward.

Martinez isn't a below average ILB. That's a ludicrous statement and truly emphasizes how PFF fails to appreciate and understand concepts of a defense. 

Martinez allowed 570 yards receiving on the year per PFR. That's 35 yards per game. If you can't live with 35 yards per game from your ILB, you have a broken defense. 

The Packers shouldn't pay Martinez anything more than 7.5 million per, that's not because Martinez is a bad Linebacker, that's because ILB isn't a high leverage position.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Just turned the page guys we didn't deserve to be in the SB this year. Jimmy G threw the ball 8 times the whole game. 8 TIMES. We deserve to be home watching. 

Yes, there is no sin in admitting you got beat by the superior team.  Now we have to look in the mirror and try to improve so we are competitive with teams like that going forward.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Just tweaking Billy for his Brobdingnagian post.

It’s possible he may want to protect his intellectual property after all that effort.

Yeah, kind of a feature of my job. Sometimes I'm ran off my feet busy for 10 straight hours while struggling to even find time to eat a sandwich while I'm going. Other times, I'm so bored that I accidentally wind up writing the Great American Football Novel. O.o

Just now, Pugger said:

Yes, there is no sin in admitting you got beat by the superior team.  Now we have to look in the mirror and try to improve so we are competitive with teams like that going forward.

Pettine better look long and hard at his scheme .. it was a huge and embarrassing failure in a big time game.  LaFleur needs to take more control of this team in year two.  It's his show .. and he needs to take charge and if that includes moving on from Pettine than make it so.  No more kowtowing to Aaron Rodgers.  Aaron is no longer the MVP caliber QB we watched make magic for many years.  He can still be a damn good qb, but he must stay within the parameters of the scheme more than he did this year.  Time to start hitting those first reads more often .. the wheels are just not there to keep doing the sandlot thing any longer.  Time to heal ;)  HA!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Pettine better look long and hard at his scheme .. it was a huge and embarrassing failure in a big time game.  LaFleur needs to take more control of this team in year two.  It's his show .. and he needs to take charge and if that includes moving on from Pettine than make it so.  No more kowtowing to Aaron Rodgers.  Aaron is no longer the MVP caliber QB we watched make magic for many years.  He can still be a damn good qb, but he must stay within the parameters of the scheme more than he did this year.  Time to start hitting those first reads more often .. the wheels are just not there to keep doing the sandlot thing any longer.  Time to heal ;)  HA!

This defense was built to stop a pass happy league . After 2016 they drafted to beat the Falcons. King was drafted for Julio Jones. This scheme wasn't designed to stop power running attack, it was designed to stop the KC's, Rams, Saints, Falcons etc. They never saw this coming. The Packers always envisioned playing ahead and teams passing to catch them. The 9ers are a different animal, they can beat you both ways. Pettine has to build a scheme to stop both.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Pettine has to build a scheme to stop both.

This is true but I'm less concerned with scheme as personnel. Our DL was known to be "light" and it got badly abused.

How the ILBs figured in to the SF debacle......to be assessed and fixed.....but with a couple good DL acquisitions....I think we'll be fine along the DL and the overall performance of the front seven should improve.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I mean, I've agreed all along that we need help on the DL, another upper tier player to play along side Clark. I was pounding the table for it at the trade deadline but Gute didn't make a move. That being said, you could cherry pick and show me a 100 of these and my response would be the same. I don't want 50 anywhere near this starting lineup come TC 2020. He's a great guy, great "Packer" and I hope he does well in Miami or Cincinnati next year. 

46 minutes ago, St Vince said:

This defense was built to stop a pass happy league . After 2016 they drafted to beat the Falcons. King was drafted for Julio Jones. This scheme wasn't designed to stop power running attack, it was designed to stop the KC's, Rams, Saints, Falcons etc. They never saw this coming. The Packers always envisioned playing ahead and teams passing to catch them. The 9ers are a different animal, they can beat you both ways. Pettine has to build a scheme to stop both.

I disagree with the second half of this. We had gaping holes at CB for three years and lacked the speed to keep up with receivers. That was because we didn't have a front-7 that could rush the passer and we solved that issue in part by signing the Smiths and then drafting Gary to eventually replace one of them. The problem is that we ignored the DL and ILB in the process thinking and hoping that Adams and Lowry would turn the corner after showing a few good plays here and there. They're JAG's and this rotational DL isn't going to work anymore. We need to heavily invest in the middle of the defense which has been routinely gashed for years now. I'll give you that it's a pass happy league, but you can't totally ignore your run defense, which is what we've done and a big part of that is Capers and now Pettine.

• Like 2

Even before @AlexGreen#20 posted the still shots of the Niners OL wrecking our first two levels, you cold see in real time that their Oline had no problems tying up our d-lineman while also easily getting a player or two up to our next level.  It appears as though our guys just couldn't shed their blocks and put themselves in the gaps they needed to be in to make a play.  I can hardly get myself to put a lot of blame on Martinez, short of shedding blocks faster, which is a criticism for damn near everyone on defense.  The defensive backs were particularly terrible in run game also.  I'm more concerned with technique and scheme than I am about Martinez or lack of speed on our team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

The problem is that we ignored the DL and ILB in the process thinking and hoping that Adams and Lowry would turn the corner after showing a few good plays here and there. They're JAG's and this rotational DL isn't going to work anymore. 

This. So much this.

Whether Pettine stays or gets fired, the talent up the middle of the D must be upgraded.

Lowry was not good this season while Adams has been lousy (or hurt) throughout his 3 seasons in Green Bay and could hardly get on the field this year. (Hard to blame a JAG like Lancaster for being asked to be anything other than a JAG but he got way too many snaps in 2019).

Behind this trio of nobodies are another easily replaced JAG in Goodson and Martinez.

Get to work Gute.

Edited by TheOnlyThing
  • Like 1