Time To Heal (Or How I Learned to Stop Crying and Look Forward to the 2020 Season and Love the Future)

MacReady

As far as seasons that don't end the way you want them to (which is like every season, and 31 teams per season)- this was a pretty good season.  They got one game from the superbowl, they won the division, they swept the division, they won 13 games in the regular season,  they rebuilt the locker room culture and personality of the team, and they did all this with a rookie head coach.

Plus, they're not going on Hard Knocks. You miss the playoffs for the third year in a row as the Green Bay Packers and 100% they're putting you on Hard Knocks.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I am not too worried about next season. This team easily overachieved this year. If they can improve the ILB position and the WR position, we are going to be significantly better next year. My only real concern is Rodgers taking a step back.

Injury is my main worry. Team was remarkably healthy this year, and we know that's unusual with this team. Can't help but think it'll be back to PackIRs next season

5 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I am not too worried about next season. This team easily overachieved this year. If they can improve the ILB position and the WR position, we are going to be significantly better next year. My only real concern is Rodgers taking a step back.

Want Rodgers to play like he's 26 again?

Let's get some Tyreek Hills, Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce clones...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

Injury is my main worry. Team was remarkably healthy this year, and we know that's unusual with this team. Can't help but think it'll be back to PackIRs next season

2009 team has so many guys injured and overcame. That team packed a defense. As he stated, improve the ILB and WR position, but also need another IDL who is a stud against the run. 

• Like 1

Just now, FAH1223 said:

Want Rodgers to play like he's 26 again?

Let's get some Tyreek Hills, Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce clones...

It's just that easy guys! Get 3 of the top 25 pass catchers in the NFL. 

I get you guys, but how the hell are we supposed to do that? You can hope you have the draft of a lifetime but they still take time and AR gets older every year too

In the prior offseason, I had observed that the first year with Pettine's defense was played primarily with Capers' guys, and the first offseason thereafter was arranged around aggressively filling the holes on defense and getting the kinds of guys Pettine wanted to play with. I suspect the plan on offense was much the same for this year- play with McCarthy's guys, see who works and who doesn't,  identify the holes, then fill them.

I think you're going to hear a lot in the offseason about "last year we had the training wheels on the offense, we won games, but we left a lot of plays on the field" with the implication that things are going to get better next year.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

36 minutes ago, Norm said:

It's just that easy guys! Get 3 of the top 25 pass catchers in the NFL. 

I get you guys, but how the hell are we supposed to do that? You can hope you have the draft of a lifetime but they still take time and AR gets older every year too

Honestly we really only need 1  more WR difference maker. Sprinkle in a decent TE that can stretch the seam better than Graham at a lower price and we should be gucci. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

44 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

As far as seasons that don't end the way you want them to (which is like every season, and 31 teams per season)- this was a pretty good season.  They got one game from the superbowl, they won the division, they swept the division, they won 13 games in the regular season,  they rebuilt the locker room culture and personality of the team, and they did all this with a rookie head coach.

Plus, they're not going on Hard Knocks. You miss the playoffs for the third year in a row as the Green Bay Packers and 100% they're putting you on Hard Knocks.

It is how you lose, Clark was the only DL that didn't get pushed around today like a freshmen high school player. The overall play felt like the Packers were not a playoff team.

46 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

Rodgers isn't retiring.  I don't think there is anyone in the league that wants a super bowl more than he wants his second.  

Listening to Rodgers' presser just now, yeah, there's no way he's retiring. Says the "window is open" and LaFleur made football fun again. 

• Like 1

IDL needs to be fortified.  Need a big run stuffing DT to put in on early downs.  Need 2 players there.  Also Martinez is likely gone.  Need 2 ILB's as well.   That will fix the D.  On offense a couple of WR's possibly a TE to replace Graham if he is not retained.  He'll have to take a major pay cut if he wants to stick around.  Not that far away.  We should have signed a big 340 lb monster to shore up the run.  One thing that was missing this year and it cost us today.