Want To Win A Super Bowl? Don't Pay Your QB.

MacReady

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 10:04 PM, jrry32 said:

2 out of 32 teams in a given year make the Super Bowl. The odds are stacked against any single team making it. If you have the capacity to make the playoffs every year because of your QB, you're in a better position than most w/r/t your odds. So yes, it is very much about making the playoffs. 

this is what the owners know. Probably a lot more profitable to make the playoffs for a decade than it is to have a volatile organization that swings from sucking to elite every 5 years or so. But if you're looking to maximize championships, I agree with @Outpost31 that there is validity in the thought experiment of recycling QBs like this. Someday (likely soon) this will happen. I could see it with the Browns and their "analytics" team - or with GB (no rich owner) if a progressive team president is elected.

It's going to be an impossible sell to an owner unless they're filthy stupid rich and want to try a fun experiment and NFL football money is peanuts to them. I want to see it happen though.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:44 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think the bigger take here is that once you have a QB on a rookie contract who is capable of winning a Superbowl, you MUST hit that window, otherwise chances aren't good that once you hit that 2nd contract with that QB you'll be able to make it to the Superbowl.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Texans, Ravens and Chiefs once those 3 QB's hit that 2nd contract and see how good those teams become. 

Then if a team has any chance of winning another Super Bowl thay have to draft well in most of the vital spots and spend there free agency money wisely.  The Packturds use that and have been competitive despite paying a hefty QB salary.  What held them back was not using free agents more.

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I want to see it happen though.

Its really tough from the entertainment POV. The networks all use the " Leading Man" strategy when pimping the game.
Mahomes vs Jackson !!! Rodgers vs Wilson !!!

If you go to the interchangeable QB theory, the cash cow that funds this league is going to have to change too
"Who is the next Brady/Manning" rivalry is one of the threads here and that speaks to how the game is marketed - via the stud QBs

That's why so many push back on this moneyball concept for QBs; its not how the league is set up or how it is marketed.
Doesn't mean it can't work, it just means its a really steep uphill climb - and if you come up short... the leash gets real short, real fast with the fan base

Damn, I didnt even know you made this @Outpost31. I wont hijack, but I will link my counter argument. As I said, the majority of QBs in conference champion games or superbowls have been QBs on 2nd contracts. Now obviously Manning, Brady and Big Ben make up a stupid amount of those on the AFC side. But on the NFC side its still a majority. 

Also food for thought. You said you dont like back loading a contract when a QB has declined/old. But doesnt that kinda make sense? Have the lower cap hit when your QB is at a peak? That way you can put the best team around him when he is at his best; then you can tank at the end of his contract and draft his replacement. 

10 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think Patrick Mahomes is going to take less money.  It's just a feeling I have.

I agree. It's the one thing that ensured Tom Brady was always able to field a great team - he took less so the team can get more. 

Mahomes no doubt understands that, and will look to follow suit, IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree. It's the one thing that ensured Tom Brady was always able to field a great team - he took less so the team can get more. 

'sides. He's got that State Farm money.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Brady was pretty highly paid until about 5 years ago. People forget that in 2010 Brady got the biggest contract in the NFL. 

And the Pats kinda cheated by giving him huge money in an uncapped year (something the Cowboys and Redskins got penalties for).

https://overthecap.com/player/tom-brady/1250/

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:
36 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think Patrick Mahomes is going to take less money.  It's just a feeling I have.

Did Mahomes marry a Super Model making upwards of 3x his NFL Salary per year I'm not aware of? That is WHY he was able to and willing to  "take less"not some BS notion Brady did it for the "Good of the Team".

Tom was a NFL Anomaly,  a Unicorn by which no other QB should ever be measured upon Especially in combination with being a Husband. Where maximizing your NFL contracts to ensure your families future, was never , ever, ever needed!

Now do I believe the Chiefs would be and Mahomes might be willing to set the Market now at 38M, knowing that number will change and be ecliped easily in the 2 yrs to come with the new CBA, absolutely. That will be the only type of discount given!!

It's not the PYA you need to worry about with the next Mahomes contract it's the Guaranteed portion ala Cousins (x2) potentially occurring or being the main haggling point in negotiations. 

A 6 yr 230M, 160M Garanteed type number that should be alarming! With many Injury clauses being negotiated to protect the Franchise.

If Chiefs Fans are hoping for a Brady like approach,  pray🙏🙏 Pat starts dating and Marries

Kendall Jenner is the world's highest-paid model, according to Forbes magazine. The 23-year-old star of Keeping Up With The Kardashians made 22.5 million US dollars in the 12 months to June, Forbes said. Her wealth is said to have been generated from contracts with Estee Lauder, Adidas and Calvin Klein, among others.Dec 14, 2018

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:
32 minutes ago, ET80 said:
43 minutes ago, showtime said:

Did Mahomes marry a Super Model making upwards of 3x his NFL Salary per year I'm not aware of? That is WHY he was able to and willing to  "take less"not some BS notion Brady did it for the "Good of the Team".

Not yet, but the day is still young.

I think it's more the end result over the "why" or "how" he did it. Mahomes comes from a professional athlete family, so there's a general understanding of how the more the team has to spend, the better the team is. 

If money is the only concern, Mahomes will book $200+ mm with very little effort on his end. But, I don't think money is the only concern.

55 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Tom was a NFL Anomaly,  a Unicorn by which no other QB should ever be measured upon Especially in combination with being a Husband. Where maximizing your NFL contracts to ensure your families future, was never , ever, ever needed!

Now do I believe the Chiefs would be and Mahomes might be willing to set the Market now at 38M, knowing that number will change and be ecliped easily in the 2 yrs to come with the new CBA, absolutely. That will be the only type of discount given!!

It's not the PYA you need to worry about with the next Mahomes contract it's the Guaranteed portion ala Cousins (x2) potentially occurring or being the main haggling point in negotiations. 

A 6 yr 230M, 160M Garanteed type number that should be alarming! With many Injury clauses being negotiated to protect the Franchise.

If Chiefs Fans are hoping for a Brady like approach,  pray🙏🙏 Pat starts dating and Marries

NAbbsy is right. Brady was regularly one of the top paid QBs early. Including, as I said, the biggest contract in the NFL in 2010.

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If he's not already, Mahomes is going to probably be the face of the NFL too - changing of the guard and all that. He should nail a lot of endorsements. I could see him taking a little less too. I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

The NFL is trying. The problem is he is not Cam/Brady attractive, has a weird voice and puts ketchup on his steak. The first 2 are forgivable, but the 3rd makes him less marketable. 

Paraphrasing Dave Chapelle: “At a certain point you’ve got 30 million dollars in the bank and you’re sitting next to the guy with 100 million in the bank and you’re both sitting in the same restaurant and eating the same $500 steak dinner. You have to ask yourself do you really need more money?”

I think for someone like Mahomes who is competitive first (and likely to receive utter truckloads of endorsements and the like) it’s entirely possible that he takes a 20-30% cut to benefit the team and create a legacy.

Its all speculation and probably a little bit of my own anticipation/hope projected into it a little bit but if that happened it absolutely would not surprise me.

Edited by lolsurebro
  • Like 1