Super Bowl LIV: 49ers vs Chiefs

onejayhawk

Snap counts. Mahomes and the OL played the whole game. Kelce was out only 4 plays. Hill and Watson were out ten plays each and Williams eleven. Everything else is under 50%. If anyone else thought the 49er defense looked gassed, here is why. We played 79 plays to their 58. We also outrushed them if you take out the 15 yards of losses kneeling at the end of the game.

On D, four DB played the whole game, except three plays total. Sorensen played 100% of the defensive snaps and 79% of the ST snaps. If you total the secondary players, its 4 X 58 = 232, plus 51 more. We were showing eight in the box from a nickel set. 

snap-counts-super-bowl-54.png?w=380&h=90

J

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 6:15 PM, onejayhawk said:

And I disagree. The OL needs new blood, but no one place in particular. C is just getting up to competent. Reiter is young and athletic and he had a fine playoff/SB stretch, so this one least of all. OG has had a series of injuries. OT has age issues on the horizon. A high value prime pick is a good idea. It is not a need or a high priority.

J

Lol

I hadn't realized it because Bosa only had 1 sack, but he (Bosa) owned Fisher in the SB. Buckner for SF did pretty good too against Wisniewski. I noticed through the game that Mahomes was taking deeper drops than normal. Look at that 4th.qtr. pass to Hill for 40+yds. Only Mahomes strong arm could get it there. Mahomes was hurried and hasseled for 3 1/2 qtrs.

It won't get any easier next year even with improvement from Reiter/C. I'm now looking to add C, OG and OT in my OTC drafts.

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Bosa did not own Fisher. I'd give him a win on the day, but Bosa had to earn it.

There was a whole lot of Fisher 1 on 1 against one of the best power rushers in the league, but he only gave up one sack. That's called earning your pay.

J

That one sack doesn't tell the story of the game. Fisher got owned. Bosa was in the backfield the entire game.

• Like 1

No, one sack is not the whole story. Another part of the story is that we controlled the ball very well, ran effectively, and were fresher in the 4th quarter when Mahomes was throwing deep. The Wasp pattern is four full seconds.

The 49ers pass rush was every bit as good as advertised. The only one on the OL that was not a little over-matched was Schwartz. A little over-matched is different from owned. They all did OK. Fisher did OK. 

J

After further review, there's a couple reasons, SF DIDN'T have more sacks. Mahomes is an extraordinary athlete who barely escaped a few pass rushes. For example one play shows Mahomes scrambling to his right with Bosa in hot pursuit. Fisher had just lost his jock strap. Bosa dived at Mahomes feet and got a hand on one calf while hitting the ground. Mahomes completes the short pass to Williams for a 1st.dn..

Second, Mahomes began dropping back deeper than normal. This gave him more time but required him to throw the ball further. Mahomes has got the arm to do this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I hadn't realized it because Bosa only had 1 sack, but he (Bosa) owned Fisher in the SB. Buckner for SF did pretty good too against Wisniewski. I noticed through the game that Mahomes was taking deeper drops than normal. Look at that 4th.qtr. pass to Hill for 40+yds. Only Mahomes strong arm could get it there. Mahomes was hurried and hasseled for 3 1/2 qtrs.

It won't get any easier next year even with improvement from Reiter/C. I'm now looking to add C, OG and OT in my OTC drafts.

Truth!

• Like 1