SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

His play calling was not the issue. Such a lazy narrative. We just didn't make plays. And guess what? It happens that way sometimes. 

Definitely should get criticized for how he handled the last drive before halftime and not using his timeouts. Could get criticized for not being more aggressive on 4th and short situations. 

Aside from that we just didn't execute on both sides of the ball. KC outplayed us down the stretch and deserved the win. First time all season our offense sputtered in the 4th quarter when we needed them to put some drives together. 

NOT the first time our defense failed us. But I'm thinking lack of DL depth hurt there. 

All in all, we had a great shot at winning and it was a memorable season. So glad we got to enjoy a NFL season for the first time since 2013. Hell of a group that brought it damn near every single week. 

Agree with this. I have no issues with the playcalling. On the one drive, if we had run the ball twice on second and five and gotten 3 yards and punted, people would have said he was too conservative. It's just playing the results. Nobody on the planet minds a second and 5 play, so the idea that he "abandoned the run" is just a bad narrative. It's a limited sample of plays and situation / flow has to be accounted for. 

I hate the constant field goals and lack of 4th down attempts. I hate the way he handled the end of half. That's it. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agree with this. I have no issues with the playcalling. On the one drive, if we had run the ball twice on second and five and gotten 3 yards and punted, people would have said he was too conservative. It's just playing the results. Nobody on the planet minds a second and 5 play, so the idea that he "abandoned the run" is just a bad narrative. It's a limited sample of plays and situation / flow has to be accounted for. 

I hate the constant field goals and lack of 4th down attempts. I hate the way he handled the end of half. That's it. 

Yeah, if Jones doesn't knock down that pass on 2nd and 5, kittle gets at least the first down and possibly more.

• Like 3

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah, if Jones doesn't knock down that pass on 2nd and 5, kittle gets at least the first down and possibly more.

Absolutely. And then there was the throw to Manny that was just missed. The plays were fine. They were open. The execution is what was lacking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Absolutely. And then there was the throw to Manny that was just missed. The plays were fine. They were open. The execution is what was lacking. 

Which right before our last drive, I had all the confident in the world that we were gonna get it done as we have all year long but we didn't. 

3 hours ago, N4L said:

FG vs TD is the conversation we should be having about the first drive of the third quarter, not the last drive of the second half. No one would have complained about kicking a FG there. But being up three (had the flag not been thrown) instead of being tied, forced kyle to kick the FG on the first drive of the third quarter. Kyle would have actually been able to choose to go for it, potentially getting up 10 instead of being up 3 at that point. That is huge. 

Even if we kick the FG there on the first drive of the third quarter, then we would have potentially been down 1 on the final drive and who knows how things would have been different. 

Why? We're talking about that specific drive before halftime, and how Kyle neglected to utilize time to it's max potential to try and score. Not any other drive. When time was running out on their possession. You keep getting stuck on the penalty on Kittle as if 49ers didn't have more time than they started with, without realizing there were more potential opportunities because they actually did have more time. PFF backs up with data why Kyle being conservative on that drive was ******* stupid:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-49ers-kyle-shanahan-was-too-conservative-and-he-paid-for-it

So you think Kyle was right to let the clock wind down 59 seconds after the Chiefs punted? Yes or no? I'm not talking about the Kittle OPI, I'm talking about before that right when the 49ers let 59 seconds tick off. Was that the right call yes or no?

Edited by PapaShogun

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Was that the right call yes or no?

No. 

There are other ways to run clock besides letting the other team punt. 

Kyle said he would do it again and I believe him because he did it earlier in the year against Baltimore and 3 points would have been the difference in that game as well. 

I hope Garoppolo takes some big steps forward in the off-season and that Kyle is comfortable being more aggressive in that exact situation again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

No. 

There are other ways to run clock besides letting the other team punt. 

Kyle said he would do it again and I believe him because he did it earlier in the year against Baltimore and 3 points would have been the difference in that game as well. 

I hope Garoppolo takes some big steps forward in the off-season and that Kyle is comfortable being more aggressive in that exact situation again. 

When people talk about the team not trusting Jimmy, and they point to how much we ran the ball against Minnesota and Green Bay, it's super easy to just counter that "the run game is working and we didn't need him", but it's how Kyle handles the ends of these halves that is the real ammunition when it comes viewing how much he trusts his quarterback .Frankly, given this game and the seattle game (another instance where I was hyper critical of Shanny's end of half decisions), it's very easy to point and say, "see, he clearly doesn't trust Jimmy". Its very frustrating because I honestly can't argue that given how Shanny has coached those. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

His play calling was not the issue. Such a lazy narrative. We just didn't make plays. And guess what? It happens that way sometimes. 

Definitely should get criticized for how he handled the last drive before halftime and not using his timeouts. Could get criticized for not being more aggressive on 4th and short situations. 

Aside from that we just didn't execute on both sides of the ball. KC outplayed us down the stretch and deserved the win. First time all season our offense sputtered in the 4th quarter when we needed them to put some drives together. 

NOT the first time our defense failed us. But I'm thinking lack of DL depth hurt there. 

All in all, we had a great shot at winning and it was a memorable season. So glad we got to enjoy a NFL season for the first time since 2013. Hell of a group that brought it damn near every single week. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I've watched the game twice now, and from the other side of the aisle, this is more or less my perspective on Shanhan's coaching job as well. The end of the first half was absolutely awful. Even if KC's timeout and Kittle had bailed it out, it was bad coaching.

But everything that pundits have criticized him for in the 4th quarter in terms of play choice is a mix of lazy analysis and people just wanting to point to the 28-3 game. And I've seen similar treatment all the time for Reid, and I think reputation wise, that's who Shanahan is getting turned into right now. Great coach, falters in crunch time with the clock and run/pass balance. But for years I've heard mixed criticisms of Reid going away from the run game too much but also Reid being too conservative? And it just leads to results based criticism where if he passes on 3rd and 1 and fails he's too pass happy, but if he runs on 2nd and 10 he needs to grow a pair. And they never look at execution or the play call, just the result and down and distance. Not every incomplete pass is a bad play call.

And I was initially happy to see San Fran passing on 2nd and 5. It was what KC wanted to force, frankly. But the play calls on the pass plays throughout the 4th were excellent. Kittle was wide open repeatedly. They finally got Kittle isolated in mismatches against Suggs or Wilson or Hitchens as we were loading up expecting run, and Kittle just blew by guys, but either Jimmy missed him or Jones deflected it. And neither of those are on the play caller. The shot to Sanders was very well-timed, just a miss. And we were doing well stopping the run game in the second half. Until that 17 yard run by Mostert where we were NOT defending the run at all, the RBs in the second half went like 7 carries for 19 yards, or something like that. We tightened up on the run, Kyle switched to pass plays, the execution just wasn't there.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Forge said:

When people talk about the team not trusting Jimmy, and they point to how much we ran the ball against Minnesota and Green Bay, it's super easy to just counter that "the run game is working and we didn't need him", but it's how Kyle handles the ends of these halves that is the real ammunition when it comes viewing how much he trusts his quarterback .Frankly, given this game and the seattle game (another instance where I was hyper critical of Shanny's end of half decisions), it's very easy to point and say, "see, he clearly doesn't trust Jimmy". Its very frustrating because I honestly can't argue that given how Shanny has coached those. 

This....this.....and SO much this. 

I had a watch party at my house which turned out to be a bad idea. The good was i had a lot of friends, but that was also the bad. I had to play host, make sure everyone had food/drinks and was entertained, etc. Unfortunately the whole night was a blur and i remember only bits and pieces. I re-watched some highlights on youtube and it hurts, i had to stop. 

I enjoy chatting with everyone on this forum win or lose (none of my IRL friends are niners fans). I like sharing regular season/post season wins with you guys and would absolutely love to share a super bowl win too.. I take solace in the fact that the 49ers are a well run organization and that increases our chances of making it back, but you never know. 

I'm just feeling really sad now. It'll take some time to get over.  I hope our team improves enough to win it in Feb 2021. Until then, its going to be a long year. 

• Like 1