SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

John and Kyle had a final session with the media earlier. Here is Kyles extended response regarding the decision not to call a timeout before halftime.

Absolutely not. I think that is one of the reasons we were up ten points going into the fourth quarter. I was as confident in that situation as anything we’ve done all year. I mean that strongly. That’s something you work on for two weeks when studying that team in that situation. You’re not going to give the ball back to them no matter what in that situation. The way he did that 3rd & 15 at the end of the game is how he does the two-minute drive. I felt extremely good with how we went. Not using a timeout, there was a no-brainer. If we would have got an explosive run on that first one, then it would have been a whole different deal. But we got a 2.5-yard run.

The whole goal was to not let them [Chiefs] call a timeout there. So you hurry to the line, act like you’re going, but you don’t. So you can ensure that Mahomes won’t have an opportunity. Then we run the ball and make them use one of their timeouts. Now it’s third down, and at least we’ve made them use one of their timeouts, and we’ve taken enough time off the clock that now if we don’t get this, it’ll be harder [for the Chiefs to score.] We end up having an opportunity to score if we don’t have an offensive PI.

If you actually hear his voice saying this he's pretty adamant in his tone. I'm pretty disappointed in this line of thinking like I stated earlier. As fan, it's pretty disturbing to hear. If you want to read the rest of what they both had to season regarding the season, and plans for the future you can read snippets here:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/2/6/21126671/49ers-shanahan-i-thought-we-had-the-best-team-in-the-nfl-this-year

If you want to watch the entire 23 minute presser, it's here on YouTube. Even with the salt in my heart, this was a therapeutic watch, and reminder why I'm glad these guys are running the show. Shanahan has a great mic drop moment at 20:12 to end it all. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdHRn1idAgc&list=WL&index=68&t=0s

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, N4L said:

Lol not even remotely a failed season. 

failed season would have been 6-8 wins. we were friggen 13-3 then won two playoff games by a combined 34 points. this season was a big success and hopefully was a springboard to a tremendous 5 year run 

This 49ers team has too much character to deserve crumpling over after one SB berth and I would love to see them come back with a chip on their shoulder in the near future. As sad as it is it's why I had more faith in the Chiefs winning this even though I was rooting for you guys. They had a variety of factors behind them that made them look like they were hungrier for the W coming in: Reid's post-season history is a big one but the few moments of adversity that young team has had to face at critical moments over the last two years feels like it gave them a real desire to win it all while their window is still open.

2012 was an eternity ago and I don't think this current 49ers lineup had to confront the reality that what they've got could all blow away in an instant before sunday. It sucks that it had to happen at this point in the season but barring horrible mismanagement I really do believe they've got that spark in them that they can take a crushing loss like this and grow from it moving forward.

Edited by LeonKennedy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I was gonna do the same thing, but it was just too pathetic in my mind lol. I think I have every 49ers NFL Yearbook from 1981 to 1998 except the 1982 and 1997 season. I'll probably revisit the gems in a few months.

My favs are 88, 98, 92, and of course 95. I'm going to binge them this weekend. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

York is in the same boat then. *shrug*

Until he hired Shanny and Lynch. 

But my comment about Harbaugh really doesn't have anything to do with York. It's about Harbaugh getting to a new franchise/program, building it into something meaningful, then getting ran out of town or willingly leave when things get tough.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 1:54 PM, 757-NINER said:

We well over-acheived our pre-season expectations. BUT you can't let a insanely magical season end with you blowing a SB win. As a fan, I don't feel like we accomplished anything other than letting the rest of the league know we're back to being a contender. That's it.

As dominant as we were in the regular season and playoffs, a SB would have put that bow on a spectacular run. Now we're just another team who had a great regular season, only to go on and not win the Lombardi. There's tons of those kind of teams littered through NFL history. Nobody will remember this past season as it ages. Just like no one brings up the Pats going undefeated in the regular season back in 2007. Why?? Because they didn't close the deal.

It is extremely difficult to reach a SB. Once you get there, YOU MUST captialize on the opportunity. We didn't so I don't see the season as a success, considering the position we were in. Of course you could say our future looks bright and we should be one of the better teams in the league the next couple. But that doesn't guarantee another SB birth.  If you compare it to where we were this time last year, yea this season was a big turnaround. But calling it a success after losing a SB...I just can't.

But people do bring up that Patriots season. You just did. People talk about it all the time. They may not fawn over it because it didn't end glamorously, but it was still incredible. Next year when this team is in the playoffs again they will bring up this season. It will be the talk of the town, again it wont be about how great it was, but about how great they were and how they didn't finish it.