SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

6 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

I can't wait till he gets pancaked like a ***** Sunday

Hes a good player. I wouldn't use that word to describe him at all. Was happy when he was traded out of seattle. He is better than clowney imo

Let the guy talk. It means nothing. 

So we've played a different variety of gameplans this year that have won us games. Running it down their throats with strong defense, defense isn't playing A game and we have to pass on em. Anyway, who is a guy who will be the star in this game for us on offense? Will it be Manny, Deebo or Bourne showing out? I'm thinking on offense a guy who hasn't done much the past few games will show out. I think we try and setup the run thru creative pass plays to start out because they'll expect us to come out running.

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

We will see. I hate everything about this matchup. 

I feel just the opposite. Two strongest units are their offense and our defense. I firmly believe a great defense and in particular great pass rush neutralizes these fast moving beat you deep offenses. I know they’re great underneath, but our LB cores speed neutralizes that too. 

On offense, Shanny will get us low 30s against this defense. And the ground game will keep the d line fresh. KC will get some points, but I just don’t see a loss in the cards with how we match up. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I feel just the opposite. Two strongest units are their offense and our defense. I firmly believe a great defense and in particular great pass rush neutralizes these fast moving beat you deep offenses. I know they’re great underneath, but our LB cores speed neutralizes that too. 

On offense, Shanny will get us low 30s against this defense. And the ground game will keep the d line fresh. KC will get some points, but I just don’t see a loss in the cards with how we match up. 

I agree, a lot of people think we're outmatched because of the Cheifs offense. While I agree their offense is tough but I feel that our defense will make them work for yards. They have a weak run game so it could get bad for them if they keep throwing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Their defense is being very underrated. It's pretty good.

Top 4 in completion percentage and yards per attempt against play action, which is our bread and butter. 

Mahomes is a career 75% passer against zone defense. We are mostly in zone. 

We need our pass rush to get home often. Mahomes is pressured the 4th least in the NFL, I believe, and when pressured, he gets sacked at the second lowest rate. 

For all the talk about how bad they are against the run, they've been pretty good the second half of the season. Almost all of the damage came in the first half. After the first Derrick Henry game, they've only given up 100 yards rushing in a game only 3 times in 8 games, and only the Raiders game was actually a good showing by the run game. 

The only thing that has slowed down Mahomes in two years so far is injury, to be honest, and I believe he's perfectly healthy right now. 

It's just a lot to not like (and that's just the first little bit)

The really nice thing is that these do historically favor elite defenses over elite offenses, but I think we will have to score a lot. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Their defense is being very underrated. It's pretty good.

Top 4 in completion percentage and yards per attempt against play action, which is our bread and butter. 

Mahomes is a career 75% passer against zone defense. We are mostly in zone. 

We need our pass rush to get home often. Mahomes is pressured the 4th least in the NFL, I believe, and when pressured, he gets sacked at the second lowest rate. 

For all the talk about how bad they are against the run, they've been pretty good the second half of the season. Almost all of the damage came in the first half. After the first Derrick Henry game, they've only given up 100 yards rushing in a game only 3 times in 8 games, and only the Raiders game was actually a good showing by the run game. 

The only thing that has slowed down Mahomes in two years so far is injury, to be honest, and I believe he's perfectly healthy right now. 

It's just a lot to not like (and that's just the first little bit)

The really nice thing is that these do historically favor elite defenses over elite offenses, but I think we will have to score a lot. 

These are all fair points. Their defense has been better, especially in against the run. 

Everyone looks at us as a running team because Garoppolo threw 8 damn passes in the nfccg and we were 2nd in the league in rushing. We are so much more than that on offense. 

I really feel like the way to attack them is down the field. We have come out and thrown the ball early in the game (first drive mainly) the last 3 weeks. I think they are going to be so fixated on the run early in the game that we will have an opportunity to jump them on the first drive. Houston did it, they came out and ran a fake bubble screen, the defense all tried to jump it and then Watson threw a 50 yard touchdown pass. I heard a stat that KC ranks 28th or something in passes given up over 40 yards. We will have opportunities down the field if we want them. Juan Thornhill was having a great rookie season and Sorenson has a different skill set. 

Everyone is so fixated on our defense vs their offense and our rush offense vs their rush defense that I think they are forgetting about how good Sanders, Samuel, and kittle are as a trio. Our passing game was damn good this year after we got Sanders. Garoppolo has seemed to be sharpest when he is needed most. I keep laughing at the commentary that he can't do it in the big moment. The dude has been absolute money for us in the big moment. 

There have been certain games this year where Kyle came out firing. I think he knows that you will have to score a lot of points to beat mahomes and that KC is never out of a game, so he is going to need to be a appropriately aggressive early on. 

I see a lot of people say the way to win is to run the ball and control the clock and shorten the game. I don't think that's true. While I do want to limit the defenses snaps to keep everyone fresh, my gameplan would be to come out throwing in the first half, get the defense on their heels, then do ball control in the second half. Dink and dunk and convert third downs and control the clock in the second half after we have a little bit of a lead. Mix up speeds on them. I don't think this should be our strategy early on though. That would be a big mistake. We need to unload the clip on them and continue to pile on points. Its not just that they score a lot, it's how fast they score. Shortening the game won't really do that much reletive to other high scoring offenses. They don't need the ball for much time to score a lot of points. Keeping mahomes on the sideline isn't slowing him down, but it does keep our defense fresh 

This game will most likely be determined by turnovers. Who can steal the extra possession in the second half? 

I am not worried about the zone vs man conversation. We run a lot of zone, and they do well against zone. No doubt. Let's not forget that we gave up basically the fewest deep passes this year. We hardly ever got beat deep, granted we haven't played anyone like KC yet, because there is no other team in the NFL like them, which is what makes this such a fun matchup for all NFL fans. (and why the damn tickets to the game are so expensive!). 

We actually started playing a lot more man in the second half of the year. I think we will have some tricks with our coverages that they won't see coming. Andy likes to do overload combos against zones and then have a guy break off into an area that the defender was forced to vacate because of another route runner. I think we will be ready for this and will do a better job passing off WRs than other teams. This is where the extra week helps us. Our secondary is damn good at this sort of thing 

I have confidence in our defensive line to pressure mahomes more than anyone else has gotten to him in his career. I think that's going to be a big part of slowing them down, making him throw sooner than he would want. Even if we don't get sacks, preventing him from having the time to attempt a 40 yard pass is a win. Make him rush up the middle instead of to the outside. Force him to step up into the lbs and let's hit him from behind/the side as he tried to run up the middle. Hopefully that leads to a fumble. All of our DL hustles hard. Thomas could actually have a really nice impact on this game tbh. 

We are a team built on speed. The ironic part is that our corners are the slowest position group on defense relative to their league average for the position. (meaning our lbs are faster than the leagues average lbs etc) they are a super fast offense. I think that means we actually match up better than most teams. Still a tough challenge obviously, but we are more equipped than basically any team out there to beat them. 

GO NINERS 

• Like 2