SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

I think folks are just wasting their energy finding reasons why the Chiefs are a bad match up for us or vice versa. These are two really talented evenly matched teams. They have some advantages and so do we. The Chiefs have the most speed in the league but one of our strengths on defense is the overall speed/athleticism of the unit. Chiefs passing defense has been very solid all season long and their run defense has been better. Our offense isn't going to have an easy time dealing with them. Our interior OL is possibly a weakness and they have one of the best interior DL in Jones. Fisher is a solid LT, but Bosa is already one of the best edge rushers in the league. We allow the least amount of 20+ yard plays, while the Chiefs are one of the best in getting explosive plays through the air. Mahomes always has thrived against zone defenses but has had some uneven games against the Chargers this season....that run a similar defense to ours. Point is, you can work these arguments any way you want to strengthen your stance, but this is going to be a tight game. Everyone just needs to accept that. 

I think our front four will put plenty of pressure, BUT, our second unit DL will not and that's when Mahomes will be extremely dangerous. This is where Saleh will have to be creative in his substitution pattern and cannot just make wholesome unit changes. He needs to stagger the time between the top four. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

You hate everything about any 49ers matchup for the 49ers to be fair :)

Spirit of the comment is valid, but not factually true. I wasn't concerned about the Green Bay game at all, that's why I was pushing for that matchup over the possible Seattle rubber match. One was a good match up, the other was not. But generally speaking, I tend push too much on the other side. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fisher is a solid LT, but Bosa is already one of the best edge rushers in the league

I would love if we stacked Ford and Bosa on Fisher's side and just avoided Mitchell Schwartz with either of those two. I'd love to play AA most of the time against Schwartz.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would love if we stacked Ford and Bosa on Fisher's side and just avoided Mitchell Schwartz with either of those two. I'd love to play AA most of the time against Schwartz.

Schwartz is obviously really good but he's not like untouchable or anything. I like speed going against him as that opens up one of the interior DL getting their chances to do damage. Our front matches up well with their OL. I'm just worried about the second unit as they don't put any pressure at all. As I mentioned, Saleh has to be very good with his rotations and putting enough threats one the field at one time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Schwartz is obviously really good but he's not like untouchable or anything. I like speed going against him as that opens up one of the interior DL getting their chances to do damage. Our front matches up well with their OL. I'm just worried about the second unit as they don't put any pressure at all. As I mentioned, Saleh has to be very good with his rotations and putting enough threats one the field at one time. 

Yep, this is what I've been wondering about. How often are we going to rotate?

I watched some Seattle vs KC tape from last year. Seattle on one play lined up Wagner as an edge rusher. Clark crashed in and Wagner rushed to the outside. The pocket was pretty much dead in an instance. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's a really good tackle. I don't know why you would willingly match up your best pass rushers against him though, even if he can get beat. You're still less likely to beat him than you are Fisher, and AA is the worst pass rusher of the three. So I'd try and maximize my reps there. Put Bosa and Ford in the best position to succeed. 

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I wonder if he realizes that we play in the same division as Seattle, and we've actually seen a defensive end very similar to Clark for the last 4 years at least twice a season? In fact, that similar player was also named Frank Clark....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's a really good tackle. I don't know why you would willingly match up your best pass rushers against him though, even if he can get beat. You're still less likely to beat him than you are Fisher, and AA is the worst pass rusher of the three. So I'd try and maximize my reps there. Put Bosa and Ford in the best position to succeed. 

Because you aren't taking into consideration what Ford's rushes forces QBs to do. Sure you can mix it up and put him on the inside, but that doesn't help any of the other rushers out. That's just him either beating the guard or not. If he doesn't, then nothing happens. If Ford is on the outside, he forces the QB to step up in the pocket one way or another. That gives the interior DL a chance to get their hands on Mahomes and keep him in the pocket. You put Armstead at Schwartz's side all game, then Mahomes will be able to more times than none just roll out to that side and get to the edge and make something happen down the field. But I'm not opposed to putting Ford next to Bosa at times, especially close to the RZ. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure you can mix it up and put him on the inside, but that doesn't help any of the other rushers out

Well, I wouldn't put Ford on the inside. That would be Bosa like 99% of the time. I'm only stunting Ford on the interior.