SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The game can be more low scoring than folks think just because how good both defenses are. Yes, that includes the Chiefs defense. They have solid corners and have a very good playmaker in the the Honey Badger. Where we can beat them is against their LBs. This is a game where I wish Jimmy is willing to check it down to his backs. Because they will have chances to beat the LB in coverage and take it for big gains. Jimmy though is allergic to checking it down and doesn't even look at the backs 90% of the times lol.

Meh, we've played better defenses who were more sound and had better overall talent and still had our way with them. Not to totally discredit the Chief's D because they have played better in the post-season. But nothing about them other than Mathieu and Chris Jones has me too concerned. 

Not too concerned about us scoring on them. I think we'll put up points. More concerned about containing their offense and us not giving them extra possessions with turnovers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, we've played better defenses who were more sound and had better overall talent and still had our way with them. Not to totally discredit the Chief's D because they have played better in the post-season. But nothing about them other than Mathieu and Chris Jones has me too concerned. 

Not too concerned about us scoring on them. I think we'll put up points. More concerned about containing their offense and us not giving them extra possessions with turnovers.

Well, I'm predicting we put up 30 against them. I'm telling you why it can be a lower scoring game than most think. Again, both corners allowed less than 50% completion rate which is very solid. Honey Badger is playing good ball and so was Thornhill before he got hurt. And Fuller has always been a good player even though he was banged up this season. You could say that have some flaws which I agree, but I think you are underrating them a bit. Let's also not forget that we played the Cardinals twice this season and Suggs was part of a defense that held our run game in check both meetings. Now, the caveat is we were dealing with injuries to the OL/TE/FB during that time, but Suggs can still play the run well. I also expect the Chiefs to blitz a lot taking away the play action. So the game can very well come down to our WRs vs their corners. 

10 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Marcell Harris needs to be in a battle for his job against a late round box safety at the very least.

I'm fine with that, though he played better towards the end of the season. But he is nowhere near Tartt in terms of IQ. Now, to be fair to him, he's hardly played any football the last what three or four years? Can only learn with experience. LIS yesterday, Ward is able to make plays off his athleticism and Tartt is able to prevent plays due to his IQ. Has a very good feel to the game. This defense is all about instincts and playing disciplined. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm fine with that, though he played better towards the end of the season. But he is nowhere near Tartt in terms of IQ. Now, to be fair to him, he's hardly played any football the last what three or four years? Can only learn with experience. LIS yesterday, Ward is able to make plays off his athleticism and Tartt is able to prevent plays due to his IQ. Has a very good feel to the game. This defense is all about instincts and playing disciplined. 

I get being rusty off the bench. But we’ve seen so many dudes play well in the same situation this year - most analogously Emanuel Moseley, but also our bench offensive linemen and guys like Ronald Blair on rotation. I don’t mind players being worse than the player they are replacing due to injury - that’s only to be expected. I mind them being so bad that they break the unit they are a part of. The Dontae Johnsons and Zane Beadleses and so forth. At that point - I have strong reservations about you being worth a roster spot. Marcell Harris was that bad in coverage when he was replacing Tartt this year. 

2 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

How much input do you guys think Mikes giving his son, Considering he’s won 1 and is the advisor

Have you seen the interview with Kyle's parents that they did on NBC before the nfccg? 

Mike watches every practice. He said Kyle doesn't ask him a ton of questions anymore but that when Kyle does, Mike likes to be ready to answer them accurately 

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

I do really fear Chris Jones and Matthieu (especially Chris Jones, we don’t handle 3 techs well

If person is getting straight manhandled, at what point do we switch to brunskill? 

Jones is definitely someone I fear when we drop back to pass. Jimmy doesn't handle pressure up the middle very well. 

57 minutes ago, N4L said:
3 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

How much input do you guys think Mikes giving his son, Considering he’s won 1 and is the advisor

Have you seen the interview with Kyle's parents that they did on NBC before the nfccg? 

Mike watches every practice. He said Kyle doesn't ask him a ton of questions anymore but that when Kyle does, Mike likes to be ready to answer them accurately 

3 hours ago, JIllg said:

I do really fear Chris Jones and Matthieu (especially Chris Jones, we don’t handle 3 techs well

If person is getting straight manhandled, at what point do we switch to brunskill? 

My guess is that we wouldn't, but if we did, it's probably far too late. Person likely isn't on any sort of short leash. They'd bracket Jones with Garland before pulling person in my opinion

• Like 1

We have a terrible record on giving up touchdowns on kickoff returns in Super Bowls. 3 given up in our last four I believe. Now I know this is superstitious twaddle because these events were decades ago (other than against the Ravens). But their special teams return guys are more dangerous than ours. So I actually fear us giving up a TD on a kickoff return. But I still think we will win if we stay turnover free or win the turnover battle. And as someone suggested it might not be a high scoring affair. Especially if we contain their offense and sustain our own long drives on offense. Takes a lot of time off the clock. Mahomes is the poster boy for the NFL's love affair with TDs. But Jimmy's a better looking guy and he's a gamer 😍 (my man crush on him is finally out of its closet, now how do I let the wife know?)