SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

In no way am I trying to rub the salt in the wounds, just thought I'd mention what I saw...you guys should have had this one. Forced Mahomes in to 2 interceptions, Shanahan playing it way too conservative to end the first half with 3 timeouts in his pocket, Shanahan going run-pass-pass leading to a three and out after a 5 yard gain on first down when KC cut the lead to 3, and Garoppolo's deep miss to Sanders. Wanted y'all to win it too..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I knew we were going to lose when Shanny essential kneeled down for half-time with 1:30 left on the clock and three timeouts. I haven't been on any social media (never have) or YT so I don't know what has been said about how Shanny called this game. But that sequence basically told me how this game would ultimately end. 

I was nearly apoplectic. Left a very sour taste in my mouth and bad feeling about the rest of the game, but I was super vocal about my dislike for this move lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Ultimately though, when this team has needed to be clutch throughout the season, whether it be offensively or defensively, they have for the most part

I would disagree with this defensively. This defense has failed more than succeeded in trying to stop teams at the end. I listed them earlier in thread, and y2 and I had a conversation about it on one of the pods 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Can't ever have enough good corners so not mad if we go in that direction in round one. But honestly just have to see how we approach free agency.

Jimmy will need to make strides and get better. He was good but there's another step he can take and we need him to take that step. Year two after the ACL surgery is when a player really gets back to form.

Saleh and Shanny need to learn why they can't quite close the deal.

Super excited to see Bosa fully unleashed next year and become a perennial DPOY candidate.

Just have to hope we get another crack at this and stay healthy. 

Oh well, was a fun season and enjoyed it very much so. Just really disappointed right now. Not even angry, just disappointed. 

2012 I was devastated but don't have that feeling this time around. 

This team is built to contend for the next 4 to 5 years and were only going to het better

46 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Can't ******* sleep. Its just past 3am on the east coast....still wide awake.

Might as well vent and go on my mini rant then....

I feel like this franchise is freakin cursed. I know that sounds crazy and irrational but I just don't have any explanation as to why this team seems to choke away SBs in the 21st century. Two SB losses in a row....after being 5-0. Its the Eddie D curse. We won't win another one until this franchise is put back in the hands of its rightful owner. I'm joking.....

but not really.

I knew we were going to lose when Shanny essential kneeled down for half-time with 1:30 left on the clock and three timeouts. I haven't been on any social media (never have) or YT so I don't know what has been said about how Shanny called this game. But that sequence basically told me how this game would ultimately end. 

You have Andy Reid and Mahomes on the other sideline and you're content on going into halftime tied is that correct?? It just gave me a bad vibe. He basically didn't trust Jimmy...and can't say I don't blame him. But you made it this far. I mean there is no game after this. You need to maximize EVERY opportunity. Reid did. He went for it on 4th downs and he coached like a guy trying to win instead of a guy trying not to lose like Shanny. Your defense just got a key third down stop and forced a punt. You have momentum...use it. If Jimmy throws a pick or whatever, you have a whole half to figure out how to 'hide' him in the passing game. ESPECIALLY since you knew you were getting the ball to start the half. The logic there made zero sense to me.

I dont know if it was past SB demons or what but I thought he was too conservative in certain moments. I would have liked to have seen us go for it on that 4th & 2 during the first drive after half-time. We settled for one too many FGs in or near the redzone imo. But overall I thought he called a solid game. Not his best game this season by far. But I kinda expected to see some different wrinkles and play designs we hadn't seen before. That wasn't the case.

Ultimately though, when this team has needed to be clutch throughout the season, whether it be offensively or defensively, they have for the most part. Tonight that narrative came crashing to a halt. Defense played a helluva game for 3.5 quarters. They made Mahomes look human for a majority of the game. But when it mattered most, they couldn't make the necessary plays to seal it. That 3rd & 15 pass to Hill was the turning point. Seemed to give their offense and whole team the jolt they needed and our guys seemed to back-peddled a bit and we seemed on our heels the rest of the quarter. The pass-rush had its moments but they didn't rush with enough discpline and they let Mahomes escpae and create outside the pocket....something I felt we absolutely could not let him do.

Offense just simply failed to execute in critical  moments as well. Jimmy's accuracy has irked me all year. It came into play tonight as well. Several passes where if he simply hits guys in stride, its a bigger gain and maybe even a score. The miss to Sanders on the final drive is a throw he has to make going forward if this franchise plans on getting back here under his watch. He missed a few reads and just seemed a little too antsy in the pocket. And once again, he took a sack that you absolutely can not take on the final drive. Throw it up somewhere, to somebody....maybe they make a play on the ball. But you can't take a sack on 4th down. I'm not totally down on Jimmy. He did pretty good in his first full season as a starter. But he will have to make big strides for this offense to take that next step.

Im pretty dejected right now. We had it there for the taking and we blew it. We let the Mahomes hyperbole extend even further. Right now I'm not sure if we ever get back. We had ALOT of things go right this year. Guys like Armstead and Ward having career years. A historical D-Line & defense that might not look the same nor play the same going forward. The ball bounced our way a ton this year. I just don't see the stars aligning like that for us in the future.

Its going to be THAT much harder to get back.

Just extremely disappointing and gut-wrentching....

It's going to be hard to get back because simply put, it is very hard to make the SB…..Unless you are the Patriots of course.

But I don't buy we got all the bounces going our way. We earned the #1 seed and were clearly the best team in the NFC when healthy. We dealt with injury after injury and the team was still getting it done. Usually you can predict regression by the amount of close games a team wins, but I believe if you flip the one score games, this team still wins 12 games. 

Sure it had some players having career years, but that happens every season with every team. We have some needs to address but the team will be just fine. Our division though is extremely tough and it can cost us a top 2 seed and from there it becomes extremely difficult to win the conference. But we can worry about that next season.

• Like 1

It amazes me how much momentum plays a part in the outcome of NFL games.

For me the game turned on the fact we didn't score after Warner's int.

The one that went through Kwons hands and of course the 3rd and 15 pushed all the momentum their way.

Feel bad for Staley, 0-2 in the big one.

Hopefully we can get him the ring he deserves next year.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Can't ******* sleep. Its just past 3am on the east coast....still wide awake.

Might as well vent and go on my mini rant then....

I feel like this franchise is freakin cursed. I know that sounds crazy and irrational but I just don't have any explanation as to why this team seems to choke away SBs in the 21st century. Two SB losses in a row....after being 5-0. Its the Eddie D curse. We won't win another one until this franchise is put back in the hands of its rightful owner. I'm joking.....

but not really.

You have Andy Reid and Mahomes on the other sideline and you're content on going into halftime tied is that correct?? It just gave me a bad vibe. He basically didn't trust Jimmy...and can't say I don't blame him. But you made it this far. I mean there is no game after this. You need to maximize EVERY opportunity. Reid did. He went for it on 4th downs and he coached like a guy trying to win instead of a guy trying not to lose like Shanny. Your defense just got a key third down stop and forced a punt. You have momentum...use it. If Jimmy throws a pick or whatever, you have a whole half to figure out how to 'hide' him in the passing game. ESPECIALLY since you knew you were getting the ball to start the half. The logic there made zero sense to me.

I dont know if it was past SB demons or what but I thought he was too conservative in certain moments. I would have liked to have seen us go for it on that 4th & 2 during the first drive after half-time. We settled for one too many FGs in or near the redzone imo. But overall I thought he called a solid game. Not his best game this season by far. But I kinda expected to see some different wrinkles and play designs we hadn't seen before. That wasn't the case.

Ultimately though, when this team has needed to be clutch throughout the season, whether it be offensively or defensively, they have for the most part. Tonight that narrative came crashing to a halt. Defense played a helluva game for 3.5 quarters. They made Mahomes look human for a majority of the game. But when it mattered most, they couldn't make the necessary plays to seal it. That 3rd & 15 pass to Hill was the turning point. Seemed to give their offense and whole team the jolt they needed and our guys seemed to back-peddled a bit and we seemed on our heels the rest of the quarter. The pass-rush had its moments but they didn't rush with enough discpline and they let Mahomes escpae and create outside the pocket....something I felt we absolutely could not let him do.

Offense just simply failed to execute in critical  moments as well. Jimmy's accuracy has irked me all year. It came into play tonight as well. Several passes where if he simply hits guys in stride, its a bigger gain and maybe even a score. The miss to Sanders on the final drive is a throw he has to make going forward if this franchise plans on getting back here under his watch. He missed a few reads and just seemed a little too antsy in the pocket. And once again, he took a sack that you absolutely can not take on the final drive. Throw it up somewhere, to somebody....maybe they make a play on the ball. But you can't take a sack on 4th down. I'm not totally down on Jimmy. He did pretty good in his first full season as a starter. But he will have to make big strides for this offense to take that next step.

Im pretty dejected right now. We had it there for the taking and we blew it. We let the Mahomes hyperbole extend even further. Right now I'm not sure if we ever get back. We had ALOT of things go right this year. Guys like Armstead and Ward having career years. A historical D-Line & defense that might not look the same nor play the same going forward. The ball bounced our way a ton this year. I just don't see the stars aligning like that for us in the future.

Its going to be THAT much harder to get back.

Just extremely disappointing and gut-wrentching....

At least you don't sound as ticked as you did 7 years ago. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

In no way am I trying to rub the salt in the wounds, just thought I'd mention what I saw...you guys should have had this one. Forced Mahomes in to 2 interceptions, Shanahan playing it way too conservative to end the first half with 3 timeouts in his pocket, Shanahan going run-pass-pass leading to a three and out after a 5 yard gain on first down when KC cut the lead to 3, and Garoppolo's deep miss to Sanders. Wanted y'all to win it too..

Yup. We had the game. Gave it right back with 8 minutes to go. Boys weren't hungry enough.

Edited by PapaShogun

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

No doubt. Squandered this one. Let it slip right through our fingers. Tough loss for sure 

I will say that this team has shown resiliency at every turn. We overcame a lot of obstacles through this year and I don't think we are the type of team to point fingers or assign blame 

We win as a team, and lose as a team. Really great group of guys in this locker room 

I kept telling Rams fans last off-season that the Superbowl hangover is real. They didn't want to believe it.

The main problem with the kyle Superbowl collapse narrative is that the only way to erase it is to win a Superbowl, which is part skill, part good fortune

36 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

This team is built to contend for the next 4 to 5 years and were only going to het better

Contend certainly. Probably not another SB trip though. Injuries, FA losses, tough division, meh QB play, and just bad luck make it hard to get to a Super Bowl again, let alone win it. Don't see it personally. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Maybe? Injuries, FA losses, tough division, and just bad luck make it hard to get to a Super Bowl again, let alone win it. Don't see it personally. 

We have the coaching staff to draft and develop talent, which is the #2 way to sustain success outside of having a god-tier qb. 

We are pretty young. Most starters are 25/26. 

We have a winning culture again as well, which goes a long way

• Like 1

Even if the 49ers make it back somehow you're now playing against the opponent and Kyle's common sense retarded-ness. He seemed to brush off a lot criticism he got in 2016 and just move forward without actually learning anything. At least that is what I got from his pressers. And it got him again.

Edited by PapaShogun

@757-NINER keep that chin up big guy. Tough loss for sure but it was one helluva ride this year. This team isn't done. This is year 1 of a 10+ year run with Kyle as our HC. I think we showed we will be competitive if nothing else for a long time. I'm happy to be out of the cellar. I know why that's not enough for most niners fans who lived through the glory years, but we've been absolute crap my entire life basically 

Jimmy needs to get better. His pocket presence needs to improve. Probably wasn't something he was able to work on much during the off-season considering the knee injury. His accuracy is definitely frustrating. Sometimes it's pinpoint and other times it's off. His quick release is great, but it seems like his mechanics are inconsistent which means so is his ball placement. Sometimes it looks like his arm is limited and other time it looks like it's above average. These are physical mistakes that can be cleaned up with the proper reps imo. He got better as the year went on and we needed him more. 

I said before the game that we needed to be aggressive and go for it on 4th on their side of the field. Was one of the main reasons I thought we would score 30. I certainly understand why we decided to take the lead there. Needed to get points after a really nice drive. 

If that kittle opi isn't called, then I don't think anyone would be complaining about how we handled the 2nd quarter. Kyle guaranteed that KC wouldn't get the ball back and then dialed up a great play. Jimmy threw a dime to our best player. We had the ball in the rz with 6s left. That's enough time to take one shot to the endzone and kick a FG. If we do that we are up 13 instead of 10 and then we would be down 1 instead of 4 at the end. I'd bet the playcalling on that second to last drive would have been different if we only needed to get into FG range instead of scoring a TD. That's a big difference but I don't think it would have changed anything in the second half until that second to last drive (usually changing something early changes all outcomes after that, but because it was at the end of the half I can say it wouldn't change much, other than maybe we do go for it on that 4th down if we are already winning?) 

Shame that goddamn neutral zone infraction wasn't called on that 3rd and 9 when Jimmy got hit out of bounds. Clear as day. Jimmy clearly saw it and thought he was gonna have another play, which is why he decided to go out of bounds rather than throw it to someone to try and convert. I guess you can say you can't rely on the refs, but that was super super obvious and I can't believe it wasn't called. 

WERE THESE REALLY THE BEST REFS THE NFL HAD TO OFFER? same staff that missed the dpi last year in the nfccg. Like, seriously. That's the best you got?? 

Edited by N4L

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Lmao Lynch calling for a timeout in the press box gonna get replayed over and over.

I honestly don't mind that decision from Kyle. The idea was to guarantee we had two straight possessions. It wasn't the way I would have done it but I understand the reasoning. It's logical even if its not the best thing to do to improve our chances of winning. 

Again, we aren't talking about this if kittle doesn't get called for that ticky tacky opi. We ran the clock down and then took a shot. Great playcall there and Jimmy's best throw of the night. We would have scored there despite being conservative. 

The timeout we should have called was on 4th down when we lined up with 2s left on the playclock. Shouldn't have worried about stopping them and getting the ball back with 40s at best, should have played for the win in that spot.