SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Need better IOLine badly. Person was crap in key plays. Perhaps more playmakers, too. Can’t wait to see Hurd. We got robbed by that back injury.

Notice I didn’t mention the numerous holding calls overlooked by the refs...turns out the only way to beat our Dline is to hold them. The refs didn’t care. 

I can't remember a single game where no offensive holding penalties were called on the O lines of both teams. This was one of the factors that allowed Mahomes to make completions late in the game. Dont get me wrong, we blew it when we really had it in the bag. But the NFL wanted Mahomes to win this and get the MVP and the complete absence of holding calls on the O lines contributed to this. If you make no calls on either team it can easily look impartial. The NFL were banking on their boy coming through at some point and they must have been sweating bullets before the comeback because we had him completely confused till then. He's a terrific QB and Mahomes shirt was by far the biggest seller in the leagues merchandise and the NFL really wanted /needed this because he's the future face of the league and that means income for them. I've never believed in fixes before but to me this was glaringly obvious an advantage that was gifted and designed for him to succeed and to protect the possibility that we could make him look ordinary which we did for nearly the whole game. 

Congrats to the Chiefs but we gave this away right at the end. 

And yes I too can't wait to see Hurd play for us. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

I honestly don't mind that decision from Kyle. The idea was to guarantee we had two straight possessions. It wasn't the way I would have done it but I understand the reasoning. It's logical even if its not the best thing to do to improve our chances of winning. 

Again, we aren't talking about this if kittle doesn't get called for that ticky tacky opi. We ran the clock down and then took a shot. Great playcall there and Jimmy's best throw of the night. We would have scored there despite being conservative. 

The timeout we should have called was on 4th down when we lined up with 2s left on the playclock. Shouldn't have worried about stopping them and getting the ball back with 40s at best, should have played for the win in that spot. 

It shouldn't have come down to a single play in the first place. He had a minute and a half plus 3 timeouts. Even if that OPI isn't called now you only have 6 seconds when they could have had a minute plus to get into the endzone at the same spot. If the Chiefs got the ball back and scored, then you have an entire second half plus first possession to figure it out.

Shanahan was overthinking something very simple. You play to win the game period. You don't play scared, which is what Kyle did. He got way too caught up in his philosophy of trying to end the half with the football, and it killed him.

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

It shouldn't have come down to a single play in the first place. He had a minute and a half plus 3 timeouts. Even if that OPI isn't called now you only have 6 seconds when they could have had a minute plus to get into the endzone at the same spot. If the Chiefs got the ball back and scored, then you have an entire second half plus first possession to figure it out.

Shanahan was overthinking something very simple. You play to win the game period. You don't play scared, which is what Kyle did. He got way too caught up in his philosophy of trying to end the half with the football, and it killed him.

Oh I agree it was the wrong strategy. He did that in Baltimore and that certainly hurt us in that game too. 

I'm never the type to get conservative. I said I wanted to continue to put up points even if we had a lead. I said before the game we needed to go for it on 4th down even if we had a multiple score lead. 

The narrative was that Kyle doesn't trust Jimmy. That's certainly true considering he was more worried about not giving the ball back than scoring. You never see teams with elite qbs do that. With that being said, look at the packer game. Lafleur got aggressive at the end of the first half and Rodgers threw a pick. We then scored and that basically ended the game. So it can backfire. 

Jimmy has had some really bad turnovers this year. That's definitely something he needs to fix. Can't be doing that as frequently as he did. 

I'm just saying it did have some sound reasoning behind it. It obviously didn't work out but it should have. We got robbed in that spot. Not as bad as the Ahmad Bradshaw fumble in 2011 nfccg but it's comparable to me. 

The beauty of football is that one play is enough sometimes. That one play could have been the difference in this game considering the outcome imo 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Yep that 1st half give up end up costing us a possession later in the gm we needed. Can not play scared no matter who is on the other side of the ball. Those 4th qtr drives were bad...but the drive right before the half was his worse by far.

• Like 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/status/1224140020371480576 

What a horrible call considering how much they were letting things go. They didn't throw hardly any flags. Emmanuel Sanders was held later with the corner wrapping his hand around him when the ball was in the air, no call. 

This was typical hand fighting and Sorenson knew he was beat and grabbed kittle first. Kittle then extends his arm after that in response. 

Not the only reason we lost, but certainly played a big role 

• Like 2

A decision to not call holding on either offensive line obviously benefits the team with the worst Defensive line. The best way to beat a really good D-line is to hold. And those refs didn't do a thing about it. Blatantly obvious to anyone who pays attention.

Yes, I am bitter.

Yes, I realize that is not a good thing. Just have to work my way through it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I'm with clarkfn... not really sure how people are saying we choked. To me that means you are saying that the moment was too big for them. It wasn't. The chiefs got hot late and won the game end of story imo.

Pretty much. It's just a game of semantics.

Can go the immature lash-out avenue of saying "choke job!" because it makes some feel better?

or just simply state that our team didn't perform up to what we know they are capable.

To me, they just were not as sharp as we have seen them on offense. On defense, tip cap to the evasiveness of Mahomes, and that receiver speed really gave players some trouble. 

I don't think our window will be closing quickly. We have a strong team coming back, and can find a way to keep a FA or two. Not going to stress over such things; they feel distant now. Again, great season.. extra gravy (SB win) added or not. Shake it off and see what's next. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Shanny feels a bit like Andy Reid though. Good coach always coming up short, taking him forever to actually win that SB.

I think it's premature to start doing that to Shanahan. The 49ers played 54 minutes of winning football and lost it in the last 6 minutes. That's a huge issue with the coaching staff for sure. But this is his first Super Bowl as a HC, so not sure how you can say he feels like Reid.

• Like 1

Man, I start training for a new job and I barely slept.

j will say, I feel a lot better about everything going forward compared to Harbaugh and other teams that have lost. But so many teams have faded into obscurity after losing the SB. I don’t think we’ll be one d tbem, but that’s really up to the coaches and players and how they respond. This chiefs team was/could be all-time great and Reid is a HOfer coach. 
Edit: this feels closer to the broncos losing to the hawks than like the Bears or Panthers losing and never getting back to that level. The most important aspects of why we won this year aren’t going to be leaving anytime soon.

I just hate feeling like we lost a game and didn’t put our best foot forward. It was within reach.

Edited by John232
  • Like 1