SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Shanny feels a bit like Andy Reid though. Good coach always coming up short, taking him forever to actually win that SB.

This is the narrative that will start to pop up, and honestly already has - that he is the new Andy Reid. 

Two trips to the super bowl, and they have not been kind to Shanny with regards to his appearance against national media, etc. 

I will say, even after a night's rest....that decision at the end of the first half is still one of the most gutless and worst philosophical decisions I have seen from a coach in a long time in the big game. I legitimately can excuse Shanny's 3rd and 1 decision at 28-3 more than I can that one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gopackgo247 said:

actually its a pretty big deal to choke away a 10 pt lead in the 4th qtr of a SB but whatever helps you sleep!

You know what's worse? Getting owned by the same team TWICE in the same SEASON. 

And your D would have been passed all over all day by the Mahomes and the Chiefs. 

1 hour ago, gopackgo247 said:

actually its a pretty big deal to choke away a 10 pt lead in the 4th qtr of a SB but whatever helps you sleep!

Yes and no. It sucks losing a 10 point lead, but it's not that like that is an insurmountable deficit, especially against an offense as lethal as the Chiefs. The worst part is just not executing offensively to extend drives at the end. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I will say, even after a night's rest....that decision at the end of the first half is still one of the most gutless and worst philosophical decisions I have seen from a coach in a long time in the big game. I legitimately can excuse Shanny's 3rd and 1 decision at 28-3 more than I can that one. 

I agree. In the moment I was SCREAMING at my TV....I literally couldn't believe my eyes. IT'S THE FREAKING SB! He's done that before this season....played it conservative going into the half when Jimmy wasn't necessarily looking sharp. BUT again, its the Super Bowl. You only get one crack at this. And it wasn't as if Jimmy played particularly bad in the first half. It was just emphatically a prime example of loser's mentality.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes and no. It sucks losing a 10 point lead, but it's not that like that is an insurmountable deficit, especially against an offense as lethal as the Chiefs. The worst part is just not executing offensively to extend drives at the end. 

The drive before halftime is a big what if.. What if we run the hb angle with wilson first? then Kittle doesn't get called for OPI and we get seven there? 

Also what if we start off our first drive with seven and not three..

I hate this feeling. This is way worse than 2012.

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The drive before halftime is a big what if.. What if we run the hb angle with wilson first? then Kittle doesn't get called for OPI and we get seven there? 

Also what if we start off our first drive with seven and not three..

I hate this feeling. This is way worse than 2012.

Completely agree. Out of footballs or I would have given you one for this. 

I'm trying to decide what is worse, Shanahan's gutless mentality before halftime(s) or Harbaugh's middle man system of not getting the play call in before the play clock expires. Both of these coaches have had some common sense bull**** they're content on not fixing for no reason, and it's killed the 49ers in two Super Bowls. 

Edited by PapaShogun

11 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

95% of the time, the player follows the money. Anyone with a brain would. You never know when your career is suddenly over. Team discounts are rare. 

Not as rare as people think especially for guys who were 1st round picks that already have seen a decent chunk. Armstead and Ward both were first round picks who received a nice chunk of guaranteed money and base salary over their first deals. This team has something special inside the locker room and this is from the players not us as fans. We will find out how important it is to be on a winner as opposed to just taking the check. Guys who like the culture and see winning in the windshield may be willing to work a deal that is backloaded or team friendly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I mean Marlon Humprey is on the Ravens, and said they choked when the Titans beat them this year. I remember Chris Dishman said his team choked in 1993 when Houston lost to Buffalo. They are players. Many players use the term choke when it happens. 

You can still get beat, and not choke. 49ers got beat today, and did choke. 

Whatever. Doesn't matter. If you don't think they choked, that's fine. At the end of the day "You're either 1st or you're last" as Lombardi said. Time to start over. 

The minute Marlon said this Deion came out and said he can't say those things. Especially when HE was the one looking at the back of the guys numbers. He has to walk into that locker room. Just can't do those things.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

There was absolutely some choking going on. An unforced bad pass to Manny that could have won the game is choking to me. That incompletion wasnt caused by the other team being better. It was incomplete because Jimmy didn't make the throw. I'll have to go back and check the long pass to hill, but if that is broken coverage, that's a choke job, etc. 

There was definitely a bit of both going on though

You cannot take a single play in an instance and say it is a choke job. They held the offense down for 53 minutes and in 7 the most explosive and streaky offense got hot and made 3 plays. The coverage failure was on Moseley, he had the deep third and he missed his assignment. Guys miss assignments and throws and drop passes in every game. Sometimes it impacts the result and others it does not. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ward definitely should take the best deal he can get. He's injury prone and could be the only big deal he gets.

Sanders REALLY seems close to Samuel/Bourne, so I can see him taking a bit of a discount and re-signing. Armstead is going to want his money and rightfully so. Gotta tag him or get him to a long-term deal.

Buckner/Kittle will get their deals, maybe reconstruct Jimmy's deal and we should be fine for the time being.

Super crucial to hit on these upcoming draft picks. After 2012, that's where we got in trouble and hurt the team going forward. 

Agree, need to land some guys for depth/replacement moving forward.

2 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

You cannot take a single play in an instance and say it is a choke job. They held the offense down for 53 minutes and in 7 the most explosive and streaky offense got hot and made 3 plays. The coverage failure was on Moseley, he had the deep third and he missed his assignment. Guys miss assignments and throws and drop passes in every game. Sometimes it impacts the result and others it does not. 

That was a single example. I can name more.