SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

I wonder how long it will be before the media start bringing up the 28-3 lead the falcons blew in the Super Bowl a few years ago. This drives me nuts how they make like it was Shannys fault. The Atlanta defense gave up all the points - last time I checked Matt Ryan and Co don't play defense. It amazes me that Dan Quinn got hardly any of the **** that Shanny has had about this. 

Edited by uk9erfan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Back to the Sherman/Revis banter, it is actually baffling how people think we are just in zone all game. Like often times, our corners are on a complete island. We will run some sort of zone on one side and then man coverage on the other with a single high safety. This is why when you see deep shots, often times no safety is in sight. So while technically we can be in zone coverage, doesn't mean one of our corners isn't in man coverage. 

People are dumb  and only know box score stats. 

2 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

I wonder how long it will be before the media start bringing up the 28-3 lead the falcons blew in the Super Bowl a few years ago. This drives me nuts how they make like it was Shannys fault. The Atlanta defense gave up all the points - last time I checked Matt Ryan and Co don't play defense. It amazes me that Dan Quinn got hardly any of the **** that Shanny has had about this. 

It's already happened. And rightfully so, I suppose. Though it drives me up the wall that people / media for some reason continue to put that square at the feet of Shanny as though the Falcons defense didn't give up 31 straight points or the players didn't make some really bad decisions (such as the holding penalty, sack, etc). He deserves his share of the blame, but it takes an entire team to self destruct in that manner. 

Even though the team has only played each other 13 times, the history here this match-up  is fascinating. Montana, Bono, Grbac, Smith. Outside of the 2014 win, I remember mostly dominate Chief wins. 1997, 2006, 2010, and even the Jimmy ACL game comes to mind. 

From what I have seen, there seems to be an overwhelming narrative that KC is just going to win. I'm not sure I can believe that. When they took on the Ravens years ago, I fel the Ravens would win. They were hot and Harbs never had my confidence. Now, I feel different, I believe the 49ers are better with all around talent and of course their D gives you confidence. Maybe my feeling will change leading up to the SB but this has been such a magic season (8-0 start, come from behind wins, Saints, Seattle) that it just can't end in a SB loss. 

I love Reid, but I think Shanahan can go toe to toe with him. 

And yes I'm still bitter over the 94 Montana vs Young game LOL. 

Edited by 49ers2015

1 hour ago, 49ers2015 said:

Even though the team has only played each other 13 times, the history here this match-up  is fascinating. Montana, Bono, Grbac, Smith. Outside of the 2014 win, I remember mostly dominate Chief wins. 1997, 2006, 2010, and even the Jimmy ACL game come to mind. 

From what I have seen, there seems to be an overwhelming narrative that KC is just going to win. I'm not sure I can believe that. When they took on the Ravens years ago, I fel the Ravens would win. They were hot and Harbs never had my confidence. Now, I feel different, I believe the 49ers are better with all around talent and of course their D gives you confidence. Maybe my feeling will change leading up to the SB but this has been such a magic season (8-0 start, come from behind wins, Saints, Seattle) that it just can't end in a SB loss. 

I love Reid, but I think Shanahan can go toe to toe with him. 

And yes I'm still bitter over the 94 Montana vs Young game LOL. 

Reminds me of the 1984 Super Bowl pregame chatter about Dan Marino as some insurmountable force. Then he was humbled in the actual game. I know Mahomes had his monster numbers the previous year, but he still had a great season. A lot of talk the next two weeks will revolve around the narrative of "how will the 49ers slow down Mahomes?" "Or how can Jimmy G keep up with Mahomes?" Top defenses are always the afterthought against a top quarterback in the public eye. They never seem to get the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

It's the 100th anniversary of the NFL. They should allow it. Even though they're hideous lol.

Those are my all time faves plus we had an amazing season wearing those in 94. The NFL should let this happen since it's their 100th anniversary.

Also, why aren't we the home team in the SB? Shouldn't we be wearing red?

Edited by Incarcerated_Scarface
Added more

15 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Those are my all time faves plus we had an amazing season wearing those in 94. The NFL should let this happen since it's their 100th anniversary.

Every odd year the NFC is the away team. It just alternates like that.

19 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Home / away alternates every year. Not based on record or anything. Last year, the Rams were the home team and wore their throw back darks. 

The home team can choose to wear their away jerseys for the game as well. I believe that is their choice. The pats did that two years ago.

Ftr, the team wearing white have won something stupid like 13 of the last 15 super bowls

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Losing Saleh/McDaniels duo next year is going to be rough.

At least we will have 1 year to plan for it. Kyle can hire some kind of understudy this off-season (for defense) and let everyone know what the plan is. Just tell Saleh and McDaniels, please train these people to replace you and don't take a lot of other staff members. I will call other teams and tell them our arrangement so they know what kind of professionals you are and that they would be dumb not to hire you. 

Would help rehiring coaches too bc Kyle could say "I called other teams and told them to promote my staff" and that would get everyone to shut up about him not letting guys interview lol I don't blame him 1 bit, we were 10-22 with a lot of unfinished business, but guys are going to leave, it's going to happen a lot over the next few years tbh

Unfortunate that Joe woods is leaving. He would have been a shoe-in for DC next year. I know dameco Ryans could get a shot, but who knows if he's ready. I think we need to find some young ivy leaguers and train them idk. Find someone in their 30s because why not 

Has anyone seen the art of coaching on HBO with saban and belichick? Everyone needs to watch it. Very enlightening

Small tidbit - they talk about how their staffs always get raided and how the guys who leave always try and poach their other staff members. They talk about how they never did that back in the day to their predecessors (saban left Cleveland when he was bills DC and didn't take a single coach) and how much that pisses them off lol 

• Like 1