SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, clarkfn2284 said:

And we truly dont know what kind of deals some of these guys may be willing to take to help the team. They know they have a good thing going here and may want to try and keep it together. It happens all the time. A guy like Sanders has made his share of money, maybe he takes a team friendly deal to make another run or two before he calls it. Same for a guy like Ward. He is nowhere near retirement, but he could take a team deal as well. We just dont know until they begin to negotiate. My guess is that Armstead and Sanders return. Ward goes. 

I don't assume or expect any player to take a lesser deal to help the team, nor would I advise them to. I agree with your guess though. AA / Manny come back, Ward is gone

4 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

The label exists because fans need a reason to explain failures. Anyone that has ever competed at a high school level or more knows this. People use the term choke because they dont understand how "it" happened and dont want to just chalk it up to getting beat by the opponent.

I mean Marlon Humprey is on the Ravens, and said they choked when the Titans beat them this year. I remember Chris Dishman said his team choked in 1993 when Houston lost to Buffalo. They are players. Many players use the term choke when it happens. 

You can still get beat, and not choke. 49ers got beat today, and did choke. 

Whatever. Doesn't matter. If you don't think they choked, that's fine. At the end of the day "You're either 1st or you're last" as Lombardi said. Time to start over. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

The label exists because fans need a reason to explain failures. Anyone that has ever competed at a high school level or more knows this. People use the term choke because they dont understand how "it" happened and dont want to just chalk it up to getting beat by the opponent.

There was absolutely some choking going on. An unforced bad pass to Manny that could have won the game is choking to me. That incompletion wasnt caused by the other team being better. It was incomplete because Jimmy didn't make the throw. I'll have to go back and check the long pass to hill, but if that is broken coverage, that's a choke job, etc. 

There was definitely a bit of both going on though

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

And we truly dont know what kind of deals some of these guys may be willing to take to help the team. They know they have a good thing going here and may want to try and keep it together. It happens all the time. A guy like Sanders has made his share of money, maybe he takes a team friendly deal to make another run or two before he calls it. Same for a guy like Ward. He is nowhere near retirement, but he could take a team deal as well. We just dont know until they begin to negotiate. My guess is that Armstead and Sanders return. Ward goes. 

Ward definitely should take the best deal he can get. He's injury prone and could be the only big deal he gets.

Sanders REALLY seems close to Samuel/Bourne, so I can see him taking a bit of a discount and re-signing. Armstead is going to want his money and rightfully so. Gotta tag him or get him to a long-term deal.

Buckner/Kittle will get their deals, maybe reconstruct Jimmy's deal and we should be fine for the time being.

Super crucial to hit on these upcoming draft picks. After 2012, that's where we got in trouble and hurt the team going forward. 

Does anyone know when the team plane is supposed to land? I want to go tell these guys to keep their heads up and that we are proud of them. 

The people hating on Twitter are all bandwagoners lol the real ones have been through a lot worse than a 15-4 season 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

There was absolutely some choking going on. An unforced bad pass to Manny that could have won the game is choking to me. That incompletion wasnt caused by the other team being better. It was incomplete because Jimmy didn't make the throw. I'll have to go back and check the long pass to hill, but if that is broken coverage, that's a choke job, etc. 

There was definitely a bit of both going on though

I wouldn't say the hill catch was broken coverage. That was a good play design and ward had to cover tyreek when tyreek had the whole field to work with 

If ward jumps to the outside, I'd bet tyreek goes over the middle are scores a TD lol 

Tough tough assignment. 

With that being said, we definitely choked. The offense was good for 3 quarters. The defense was great for 3.5 quarters. Both of them took a dump at the end. We could have survived one or the other letting up at the end but not both. 

So, it wasn't the offense or defense that let us down. It was a team effort through and through. We win as a team and we lose as a team 

They played hard and fought from the start until the very last second. I'm not gonna hate on then for that 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Does anyone know when the team plane is supposed to land? I want to go tell these guys to keep their heads up and that we are proud of them. 

The people hating on Twitter are all bandwagoners lol the real ones have been through a lot worse than a 15-4 season 

Early goldrush squad auditions N4L? :)

Nah I'm just kidding. I'm sure they'll appreciate the support. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Kyle may have blew his best chance at a ring. Everything fell right into place with the one seed and he blew it.

He will have much better teams in his next 30 years of coaching than this team. I'm extremely confident in that.

Can't ******* sleep. Its just past 3am on the east coast....still wide awake.

Might as well vent and go on my mini rant then....

I feel like this franchise is freakin cursed. I know that sounds crazy and irrational but I just don't have any explanation as to why this team seems to choke away SBs in the 21st century. Two SB losses in a row....after being 5-0. Its the Eddie D curse. We won't win another one until this franchise is put back in the hands of its rightful owner. I'm joking.....

but not really.

I knew we were going to lose when Shanny essential kneeled down for half-time with 1:30 left on the clock and three timeouts. I haven't been on any social media (never have) or YT so I don't know what has been said about how Shanny called this game. But that sequence basically told me how this game would ultimately end. 

You have Andy Reid and Mahomes on the other sideline and you're content on going into halftime tied is that correct?? It just gave me a bad vibe. He basically didn't trust Jimmy...and can't say I don't blame him. But you made it this far. I mean there is no game after this. You need to maximize EVERY opportunity. Reid did. He went for it on 4th downs and he coached like a guy trying to win instead of a guy trying not to lose like Shanny. Your defense just got a key third down stop and forced a punt. You have momentum...use it. If Jimmy throws a pick or whatever, you have a whole half to figure out how to 'hide' him in the passing game. ESPECIALLY since you knew you were getting the ball to start the half. The logic there made zero sense to me.

I dont know if it was past SB demons or what but I thought he was too conservative in certain moments. I would have liked to have seen us go for it on that 4th & 2 during the first drive after half-time. We settled for one too many FGs in or near the redzone imo. But overall I thought he called a solid game. Not his best game this season by far. But I kinda expected to see some different wrinkles and play designs we hadn't seen before. That wasn't the case.

Ultimately though, when this team has needed to be clutch throughout the season, whether it be offensively or defensively, they have for the most part. Tonight that narrative came crashing to a halt. Defense played a helluva game for 3.5 quarters. They made Mahomes look human for a majority of the game. But when it mattered most, they couldn't make the necessary plays to seal it. That 3rd & 15 pass to Hill was the turning point. Seemed to give their offense and whole team the jolt they needed and our guys seemed to back-peddled a bit and we seemed on our heels the rest of the quarter. The pass-rush had its moments but they didn't rush with enough discpline and they let Mahomes escpae and create outside the pocket....something I felt we absolutely could not let him do.

Offense just simply failed to execute in critical  moments as well. Jimmy's accuracy has irked me all year. It came into play tonight as well. Several passes where if he simply hits guys in stride, its a bigger gain and maybe even a score. The miss to Sanders on the final drive is a throw he has to make going forward if this franchise plans on getting back here under his watch. He missed a few reads and just seemed a little too antsy in the pocket. And once again, he took a sack that you absolutely can not take on the final drive. Throw it up somewhere, to somebody....maybe they make a play on the ball. But you can't take a sack on 4th down. I'm not totally down on Jimmy. He did pretty good in his first full season as a starter. But he will have to make big strides for this offense to take that next step.

Im pretty dejected right now. We had it there for the taking and we blew it. We let the Mahomes hyperbole extend even further. Right now I'm not sure if we ever get back. We had ALOT of things go right this year. Guys like Armstead and Ward having career years. A historical D-Line & defense that might not look the same nor play the same going forward. The ball bounced our way a ton this year. I just don't see the stars aligning like that for us in the future.

Its going to be THAT much harder to get back.

Just extremely disappointing and gut-wrentching....

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1