Would the Saints have given the 9ers a better run for their money than GB did?

mdonnelly21

Saints/49ers  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Saints would have given the 9ers a better run for their money? 

8 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

No, Drew Brees always chokes in the playoffs

he did win a SB, so not always. I don't pin losses on the QB entirely.  Too many other factors that go into this. The  reality is, to win the SB in this ear, many factors have to fall into place and to blame/credit a QB is a bit too much.  Defence, weather, opponent matchups and coaching all play a role in these games that are usually close.  I still think Mahomes is the one player than can override mush of that and pass until he wins in a game. He's proved how quickly he can score TD's. 

Saints fans going to be up in here screaming from the rooftops that they should have had the bye, and that they would have given the 49ers a better match. And yeah, the Saints do match up better with the 49ers than the Packers do. The 49ers current build is sort of the perfect poison to what the Packers try to do on both offense and defense. 

But the Saints wouldn't have won, and might not have even made it to the championship game with the bye anyway. 

Should've beaten those Falcons though. 

Saints would have given SF a much better game for sure, simply because their run D was that much better, and their ability to protect the QB was at least as good, if not better than GB.  

IMO they still would have lost on the road to SF, as Ford/Tartt/Alexander's absences and NO on home turf were a big reason for NO's success - but the lopsided matchup in key areas of the game that we saw yesterday, weren't there with NO.

I've said it in multiple threads - the way the NFC playoffs went down couldn't have gone any better than it did for SF setup-wise.     They got to play 2 teams with pocket QB's, the style of which they do best against, and teams that had difficulty with run D (in MIN's case, the 21 formation run D).   

Having said all of that, NO lost at home.   They and their fanbase have no one but the Saints to blame here.    SF earned the NFC title, and if they beat KC, it's a totally earned SB title.   NO can only sit at home and wonder what if, much like DEN did with BAL's SB run after their crushing L at home to the Ravens - but flags fly forever.

Edited by Broncofan

They could have given a better fight than Packers but Niners still would have won comfortably. When Niners played Saints early this year in SuperDome, their defense was banged up but they still ended up winning a shootout. There is no way a fully fit Niners defense is allowing 45+ points at home. 

11 hours ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

Saints fans going to be up in here screaming from the rooftops that they should have had the bye, and that they would have given the 49ers a better match. And yeah, the Saints do match up better with the 49ers than the Packers do. The 49ers current build is sort of the perfect poison to what the Packers try to do on both offense and defense. 

But the Saints wouldn't have won, and might not have even made it to the championship game with the bye anyway. 

Should've beaten those Falcons though. 

Well those Falcons did beat the 49ers also so.  SF, GB, and NO were all 13-3, Saints got screwed on tiebreakers.

But still, I see a lot of people claiming Saints fans have no one to blame but themselves, and they're right, but no one is really complaining.  Saints fans have been livid about their team's performance.

This Vikings team has always played the Saints tough.  It's just one of those teams that NO underperforms against always.  Lost twice to them in 2017, and even though we won last year, there was a lot of luck involved and we looked terrible.  I knew we were in trouble when we lost the bye and got matched with the Vikings.  

And yes the 49ers would have beaten the Saints anyway.  49ers are the best team in the league IMO, and I've thought so for a while now.  Chiefs will have to be at their best and hope SF isn't. 

15 hours ago, Fray32 said:

NFC West going to be real fun for the foreseeable future.

It's hard to project that tbh.

• Rams are on a decline and have no first round picks for the forseeable future and will be putting half their cap space to 5-6 players. I see them being mediocre tbh.
  • If Russell Wilson declines even a little bit the Seahawks are 7-9/8-8. They were pretty lucky with the amount of close games they won this year and I don't think it's sustainable.
  • Cardinals have promise but they have to add a serious amount of talent to the roster before they start contending.
  • 49ers have a great coach and Jimmy is a good QB but pretty much no team other than the Patriots is this good every year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well those Falcons did beat the 49ers also so.

Those two games are the weirdest case of "good team MASSIVELY playing down to a bad team" I've ever seen in my life. That Falcons team had no business even being on the same field as either team, they weren't even in the same stratosphere in terms of ability. The Saints offensive line was getting eaten alive by a single player and they couldn't block anything for longer than a second. And with the 49ers, Grady Jarrett completely clogged up their running game and shut it down, and Jimmy G had a hard time finding anyone other than Kittle against what is probably a bottom 3 secondary in the NFL. Jimmy G is a very good QB, but it was bizarre to me that he couldn't hit any WRs against a garbage secondary - I know the pass rush was really good that day but jeez. Just a bad day at the office I guess.

I think you replay both the ATL @ NO and ATL @ SF games, and they get creamed nine out of ten times (the thanksgiving game is probably closer to how most games would play out, minus the insane onside kicks). The NFL is just weird in that way. 

Would of been a razor close game imo. One score for sure. Vikings just own the Saints past few years, they are a terrible matchup for the Saints. Same thing with Niners/Packers. Niners are just a terrible matchup for the Packers. 49ers/Saints match up pretty even with each other honestly. Although I think the 49ers are the better team, slightly. 

NFL is all about matchups. 

6 hours ago, Hukos said:

Those two games are the weirdest case of "good team MASSIVELY playing down to a bad team" I've ever seen in my life. That Falcons team had no business even being on the same field as either team, they weren't even in the same stratosphere in terms of ability. The Saints offensive line was getting eaten alive by a single player and they couldn't block anything for longer than a second. And with the 49ers, Grady Jarrett completely clogged up their running game and shut it down, and Jimmy G had a hard time finding anyone other than Kittle against what is probably a bottom 3 secondary in the NFL. Jimmy G is a very good QB, but it was bizarre to me that he couldn't hit any WRs against a garbage secondary - I know the pass rush was really good that day but jeez. Just a bad day at the office I guess.

I think you replay both the ATL @ NO and ATL @ SF games, and they get creamed nine out of ten times (the thanksgiving game is probably closer to how most games would play out, minus the insane onside kicks). The NFL is just weird in that way. 

You guys outplayed us from the start. Having a let down should have been expected after the gauntlet the team went through and the wild NO game, but Jarrett completely wrecked havoc and the defense knew everything that was coming their way. Shanahan got out coached that game and he even admitted so after the game. Quinn and the crew called a great game. 

But the Falcons were legitimately good to end the season. A team with playoff hopes next season. 

• Like 1