Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
.Buzz

Telvin Smith and the future at WLB

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, iPwn said:

Drafting for need in the 5th round doesn’t mean that player is a starter. It’s a 5th round pick on a position where there’s literally no depth at all.

Other 5th round picks by Coughlin

  • RB Ryan Christopherson, after drafting James Stewart at #19
  • Jimmy Herndon - didn’t even make the roster
  • CB Jason Craft - after drafting Fernando Bryant in the first, and having Aaron Beasley and Dave Thomas on the roster
  • P David Leaverton when Chris Hansen was still on the roster

Thats half of the guys he brought in via the 5th round during his tenure with us the first time having no means to make it to a starting role. Depth is a need.

A 5th round pick whos inactive on gamedays to an udfa waiver claim lber/s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

A 5th round pick whos inactive on gamedays to an udfa waiver claim lber/s.

I don’t get what you’re getting at with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I don’t get what you’re getting at with this?

This 5th round pick is much closer to leaverton then jason craft. Its almost a wasted pick. Sure depth is nice but its kinda dumb to have a 5th round rookie be a healthy inactive over an udfa rookie whos making a position change. 

Just some guys who would help us more picked in the 5th(Leggett, elder, asiata, Peterman(i know its a stretch with him but he probably could beat out henne), Elliot...ect....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

This 5th round pick is much closer to leaverton then jason craft. Its almost a wasted pick. Sure depth is nice but its kinda dumb to have a 5th round rookie be a healthy inactive over an udfa rookie whos making a position change. 

Just some guys who would help us more picked in the 5th(Leggett, elder, asiata, Peterman(i know its a stretch with him but he probably could beat out henne), Elliot...ect....

Oh. I see. You’re railing on the pick. It seemed like you were suggesting he was the heir apparent to Telvin’s starting role and it would have been dumb to draft him if they were keeping Telvin.

Carry on. No qualms with saying the pick may be bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iPwn said:

Oh. I see. You’re railing on the pick. It seemed like you were suggesting he was the heir apparent to Telvin’s starting role and it would have been dumb to draft him if they were keeping Telvin.

Carry on. No qualms with saying the pick may be bad.

I do think they drafted him as a possible wlb replacement if telvin leaves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I do think they drafted him as a possible wlb replacement if telvin leaves. 

I really don't honestly. They may have drafted him and hope he develops to maybe be a potential option down the road if things break right but I really don't think they drafted him and thought "We can let Telvin walk if we don't agree price was and this guy will step in," imo. I just don't see how you can do that when taking someone in the 5th. Way too much of a crap shoot at that point in the draft and if you find a guy who can be good depth than it ends up being viewed as a hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I really don't honestly. They may have drafted him and hope he develops to maybe be a potential option down the road if things break right but I really don't think they drafted him and thought "We can let Telvin walk if we don't agree price was and this guy will step in," imo. I just don't see how you can do that when taking someone in the 5th. Way too much of a crap shoot at that point in the draft and if you find a guy who can be good depth than it ends up being viewed as a hit. 

what round did we draft Telvin again ;) 

his athletic profile suggest he would be a solid WLB. only questionable spot is that 40 time but how often do u see lbers running 40 yards. 

FWIW Blair Brown had a higher grade coming out then Telvin smith per NFL.com 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

what round did we draft Telvin again ;) 

his athletic profile suggest he would be a solid WLB. only questionable spot is that 40 time but how often do u see lbers running 40 yards. 

FWIW Blair Brown had a higher grade coming out then Telvin smith per NFL.com 

Telvin was a high round talent that fell due to off the field/failed drug test stuff. Literally the only reason he fell. 

I like Blair Brown, was a fan of him during draft time, but that doesn't mean he's a sure fire replacement.

Edit: Sure, Telvin's size was a bit iffy too of course but he was still expected to go much higher prior to everything that happened. 

Edited by .Buzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand what’s going on here. One post, Brown is being railed on as a bad pick because he can’t even make the active roster, the next it’s being claimed he was a better graded prospect than Telvin Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, iPwn said:

I don’t understand what’s going on here. One post, Brown is being railed on as a bad pick because he can’t even make the active roster, the next it’s being claimed he was a better graded prospect than Telvin Smith.

4real

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I've seen Telvin cover 40 yards in a play.  And he does it fast.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000554191/Buccaneers-Charles-Sims-explodes-for-56-yards

That play is crazy because he could've gotten there sooner, but he let up because he thought Sergio Brown would make the tackle. After Brown missed the tackle, he turned the jets back on and hunted the RB down from behind. 

Charles Sims ran a 4.48 at the combine, so what does that tell you about Telvin's speed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iPwn said:

I don’t understand what’s going on here. One post, Brown is being railed on as a bad pick because he can’t even make the active roster, the next it’s being claimed he was a better graded prospect than Telvin Smith.

Brown was a bad pick if we are drafting by current needs. Hes passable if your drafting for insurance. I just thought it was pretty funny yall go late round guys are 90% depth and telvin smith was what a late round pick.  

Judging from grades by the same source Brown was considered better then telvin coming out.   Brown lacks height, length, and a little bit of speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Brown was a bad pick if we are drafting by current needs. Hes passable if your drafting for insurance. I just thought it was pretty funny yall go late round guys are 90% depth and telvin smith was what a late round pick.  

Judging from grades by the same source Brown was considered better then telvin coming out.   Brown lacks height, length, and a little bit of speed. 

1) How is drafting a player at a position that we lack depth at in the late rounds a bad pick? We had Hayes Pullard and little else behind our starting LBs.

2) Late round guys are mainly depth. You find one guy that ended up being an elite level WLB that we drafted and that's just supposed to be the norm? Of course you can find guys that aren't just depth there/find gems. But I have no idea why you are acting as if that should be expected. If you find a guy who is a quality backup LB in the 5th round that's a good pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

1) How is drafting a player at a position that we lack depth at in the late rounds a bad pick? We had Hayes Pullard and little else behind our starting LBs.

2) Late round guys are mainly depth. You find one guy that ended up being an elite level WLB that we drafted and that's just supposed to be the norm? Of course you can find guys that aren't just depth there/find gems. But I have no idea why you are acting as if that should be expected. If you find a guy who is a quality backup LB in the 5th round that's a good pick.

we really didnt lack depth at wlb.

what we lacked was a true Sam LBer. if we had 1 then we would likely have Poz as the backup Mike LBer with Jack Sliding into WLB in an event where telvin smith got hurt. 

heres a quick list of 4-3 WLBers that are later round picks(4th or later): KJ Wright, Telvin Smith, Nigel Bradham(might be a slight stretch but hes been a WLB for a bit), Vontaze Burfcit, D'Vondre Campbell.  there might be some more but thats a fairly Solid List proving WLBers can be found late. i think your number 2 Just got Destroyed.  Team definitely had Bigger needs that could have been addressed like adding a TE like Leggett or a Possible QB like Petermen but instead went for a WLB.  unless telvin is going to take a slight hometown discount to play with his Boys i dont see WLB as a Premium Position.  yes Telvin is a good player but i dont feel that a WLB is worth more than 5-6 million.

if u asked me you can only keep 1 out of Allen Robinson and Telvin smith im taking Allen Robinson all day even coming off his knee injury. i can find a WLB alot Easier then finding a true number 1 wr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×