Telvin Smith and the future at WLB

.Buzz

16 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

we really didnt lack depth at wlb.

what we lacked was a true Sam LBer. if we had 1 then we would likely have Poz as the backup Mike LBer with Jack Sliding into WLB in an event where telvin smith got hurt. 

heres a quick list of 4-3 WLBers that are later round picks(4th or later): KJ Wright, Telvin Smith, Nigel Bradham(might be a slight stretch but hes been a WLB for a bit), Vontaze Burfcit, D'Vondre Campbell.  there might be some more but thats a fairly Solid List proving WLBers can be found late. i think your number 2 Just got Destroyed.  Team definitely had Bigger needs that could have been addressed like adding a TE like Leggett or a Possible QB like Petermen but instead went for a WLB.  unless telvin is going to take a slight hometown discount to play with his Boys i dont see WLB as a Premium Position.  yes Telvin is a good player but i dont feel that a WLB is worth more than 5-6 million.

if u asked me you can only keep 1 out of Allen Robinson and Telvin smith im taking Allen Robinson all day even coming off his knee injury. i can find a WLB alot Easier then finding a true number 1 wr. 

There was multiple people that saw Sam or MLB being the best fits for Blair Brown in the NFL. Not sure why you are chalking him up as a WLB only. I mean, it sounded to me like Wash said they are actually having him take reps at one spot right now and thats SAM. Who is our good depth behind WLB besides putting Myles over there (when at the time we wanted him to be our MLB)?

Telvin Smith and Burfict were off the field/failed drug test guys. If you want to use them as examples fine, but the only reason they fell that far was off the field concerns and had nothing to do with talent. You don't find guys sitting there like that often.

It's a 5th round pick. Get that "bigger needs" thing outta here. You aren't getting anything more than depth at that pick unless you find a hidden gem/off field concern guy that you hope gets his head on straight. 

As for your last post, it shouldn't be between keeping Telvin and ARob. We aren't paying a QB and we consistently are top 5 in cap space every year. We have ZERO cap troubles. Unless Blake starts firing on all cylinders and we decide to lock him up at big $$$ than there is no reason to let an elite talent walk out the door unless he just won't sign/tag is already in use.

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

There was multiple people that saw Sam or MLB being the best fits for Blair Brown in the NFL. Not sure why you are chalking him up as a WLB only. I mean, it sounded to me like Wash said they are actually having him take reps at one spot right now and thats SAM. Who is our good depth behind WLB besides putting Myles over there (when at the time we wanted him to be our MLB)?

Telvin Smith and Burfict were off the field/failed drug test guys. If you want to use them as examples fine, but the only reason they fell that far was off the field concerns and had nothing to do with talent. You don't find guys sitting there like that often.

It's a 5th round pick. Get that "bigger needs" thing outta here. You aren't getting anything more than depth at that pick unless you find a hidden gem/off field concern guy that you hope gets his head on straight. 

As for your last post, it shouldn't be between keeping Telvin and ARob. We aren't paying a QB and we consistently are top 5 in cap space every year. We have ZERO cap troubles. Unless Blake starts firing on all cylinders and we decide to lock him up at big $$$ than there is no reason to let an elite talent walk out the door unless he just won't sign/tag is already in use.

We could be paying a qb this year.  I mean if bortles gets hurt then theres gonna be some tough choices cuz his salary is guranteed for injury. 

Also we could be signing a vet backup qb at the very least and possibly go in a higher tier and say maybe cousins. 

43 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

We could be paying a qb this year.  I mean if bortles gets hurt then theres gonna be some tough choices cuz his salary is guranteed for injury. 

Also we could be signing a vet backup qb at the very least and possibly go in a higher tier and say maybe cousins. 

You are just basing this on what ifs. Of course those things could happen. Even if we pay a QB we still have excess cap.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You are just basing this on what ifs. Of course those things could happen. Even if we pay a QB we still have excess cap.

We dont have a ton of excess cap. We have 48 million in cap. Factor like 25 or so if we get a good free agent qb that leaves around 23 million and we still need to go get telvin and arob resigned not to mention potential upgrades on the oline and a te.  

19 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

We dont have a ton of excess cap. We have 48 million in cap. Factor like 25 or so if we get a good free agent qb that leaves around 23 million and we still need to go get telvin and arob resigned not to mention potential upgrades on the oline and a te.  

You dont think anyone will be coming off the cap/being let go like Ivory?

Telvin isnt getting some massive contract at WLB. You see Kiko's?

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You dont think anyone will be coming off the cap/being let go like Ivory?

Telvin isnt getting some massive contract at WLB. You see Kiko's?

Some might but its stupid to assume those things of cuts. 

Did u check his salary? His contract was front loaded and the next 3 years is 8 million or more. A wlb isnt worth that cash. 

Hes probably going to get a deal closer to lavonte david then kiko. 2 good reasons are 1) injury history and 2) hes better then kiko. 

Hes looking at around 8-9 million per. 

Factor around 12 for allen robinson and then your at 21 out of the 23 after getting a qb like cousins. 

Depending whos cut u might get maybe 15 more but we still need a te, and a couple of oline. 

8 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Some might but its stupid to assume those things of cuts. 

Did u check his salary? His contract was front loaded and the next 3 years is 8 million or more. A wlb isnt worth that cash. 

Hes probably going to get a deal closer to lavonte david then kiko. 2 good reasons are 1) injury history and 2) hes better then kiko. 

Hes looking at around 8-9 million per. 

Factor around 12 for allen robinson and then your at 21 out of the 23 after getting a qb like cousins. 

Depending whos cut u might get maybe 15 more but we still need a te, and a couple of oline. 

Why would we not sraft a TE and an OG and/or RT. Get one, maybe two OLs but no need to pay a TE in FA.

Either way, you keep acting like its either or between him and ARob. It doesn't need to be. Likelihoos of us getting a 25m QB in FA is unlikely I'd say too. 

26 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Why would we not sraft a TE and an OG and/or RT. Get one, maybe two OLs but no need to pay a TE in FA.

Either way, you keep acting like its either or between him and ARob. It doesn't need to be. Likelihoos of us getting a 25m QB in FA is unlikely I'd say too. 

If coughlin wants cousins we can get him.  

This te class doesnt look super impressive compared to last years and while drafting those could work out but your not going to find a day 1 starting tackle after round 3. Same for guard and tightend as well.  Theres only so many picks we have and if your wanting to draft say lamar jackson or say even a pass rusher then your going to not have the draft resources to spend on those spots. 

Only so much money to go around and only so much draft capital we have. 

4 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

If coughlin wants cousins we can get him.  

This te class doesnt look super impressive compared to last years and while drafting those could work out but your not going to find a day 1 starting tackle after round 3. Same for guard and tightend as well.  Theres only so many picks we have and if your wanting to draft say lamar jackson or say even a pass rusher then your going to not have the draft resources to spend on those spots. 

Only so much money to go around and only so much draft capital we have. 

Not sure why you think Coughlin has some massive pull that other teams don't have. Plus, the Redskins want to make him their future at QB. Offered him a massive deal this past year but Cousins wants to play on the tag. I doubt he leaves Washington barring him being awful, which in turn doesn't make me want to pay him $25M a year.

TE class doesn't need to be on the tier of last years class. Doesn't mean we can't find a legit solid option at TE in rd 3/4. Not going to have studs at every position.

Again, if we don't pay a QB $25M than we have a ton of cap space. Even if we pay a guy $18M or so with projected vets that we let go with cap savings we still should have plenty of cash for both ARob and Telvin. I really think this whole cap situation is being overblown. Chalking us up signing a QB to $25M in FA right now I think is more crazy than realistic at this point. 

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Offered him a massive deal this past year but Cousins wants to play on the tag. I doubt he leaves Washington barring him being awful, which in turn doesn't make me want to pay him $25M a year.

A good number of reports have said he doesn’t want to be there. The front office did a few things that really angered him with how they handled his situation and he played on the tag because it was the only way for him to get out. But I suppose that’s a discussion for the 2018 QB thread. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

the base line for his Deal i think would have to be the Christian Kirksey Extension the browns did where he got 4 years 37 million. i think he gets more money then that. 

As he should

• 2 weeks later...

Archived