New Playoff Structure

The system isn't completely broken, but with how the league is currently set up, the preseason is broken, so that destabilizes the entire system.  Hence, the idea of eliminating 1 preseason game and making that game a regular season game (at a neutral site), and the addition of 1 more wildcard (which will make it similar to what it was way back when there were 3 division winners and 3 wildcards).  There are no possible games added, fans are more satisfied because there's one less crappy game on the schedule, and owners get more money in their pockets, and it will also likely create expanded rosters and more money for the players.  It's a win-win-win.    

Edited by swede700

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Which “better” team didn’t get in?

Record wide, the 6 best teams in each conference made the playoffs. 

Are you telling me that no one would ***** about the Patriots cup cake schedule saying that they only got in because of the division they play in?

It might be crazy to say, but having 1 more win than a different team doesn't automatically mean that they are a better team

21 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

If you say so

I understand what you are arguing from a theoretical standpoint - the 10-6 Bills were not necessarily a better team than the 9-7 Titans. 

Since there is no objective way to prove this, there's really no point in arguing about it though. The teams that win more games get to go to the playoffs.

This is a problem that they have wrestled with in college ball for years. They know that record alone isn't a sound indicator of which teams are the best. Other factors, such as strength of schedule, need to be considered. Since there is no way to know for sure which two teams are the best my understanding is that they decided a few years ago to expand their playoffs. At the level I pay attention to college ball, the FCS, they are up to a 24 team playoff now. It moved up from 16 teams to 20 and then to 24 fairly quickly. They frequently allow teams into teh 24 team field that have a worse record than other teams that are left off.

The level of competition is a bit more even in the NFL but the same problem still exists to a lesser degree. I do not agree with the remiss that record alone can be used as a sound indicator of how good a team is. I do not believe for a second that the Packers were the second best team in the NFL this year.

That said, I have no problem with the playoff seeding being determined by record alone. It has is flaws but so will anything else.

10 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I understand what you are arguing from a theoretical standpoint - the 10-6 Bills were not necessarily a better team than the 9-7 Titans. 

Since there is no objective way to prove this, there's really no point in arguing about it though. The teams that win more games get to go to the playoffs.

That was basically my point. There is no fool proof way of getting the best teams into the playoffs so why change it and make divisions meaningless