Texans promote DL Coach Anthony Weaver to DC

ET80

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/anthony-weaver-promoted-to-the-texans-defensive-coordinator?fbclid=IwAR1LGgZiJkwSJdGQuTginU5Jib7sQutmpmL1N-0c8rsp3wFFc17b0-6yYjM

Following the news of Romeo Crennell not returning to his role as DC, reports coming out of Houston have DL coach Anthony Weaver taking the role. Weaver will be the third DC in the Bill O'Brien era, following Crennell and Tennessee HC Mike Vrabel.

A former DE for the Baltimore Ravens and Houston Texans, Weaver has served as a DL coach for Rex Ryan in NY and Doug Marrone in Buffalo. His coaching career began in Florida under Urban Meyer. Largely credited for the development of Brandon Dunn, Angelo Blackson and DJ Reader, Weaver has been groomed for this role since Vrabel took the top job in Tennessee.

If we're following along at home, this is how it'll play out:

- Weaver will be in over his head as a DC.

- Texans D will be bad.

- Romeo will be brought back as an "advisor to the DC" who is actually the advisor to BoB... who is the actual DC.

- The defense will still be bad.

- Texans will go 10-6 on the magic that is Deshaun Watson, lose in the first round of the playoffs (first game of playoff weekend).

- Someone (looking at you, Jax) will bring Weaver in to serve as HC.

- I'll laugh at the hire, citing how bad the defense was under Weaver.

- Texans will bring back Romeo Crennell as DC. At this point, BoB has started to suit up as JJ Watt.

- Jags will make the AFCCG by year 2 of the Weaver era.

- Texans will go 9-7 in both seasons, lose in the first round of the playoffs.

- BoB will start suiting up as Deshaun Watson when he's not playing DE.

- I'll make ANOTHER BoB voodoo doll and hope that this one works.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

So @ET80 - would it be saft to say you're not impressed? I dont know....I'm getting that impression :)

I am actually impressed with Weaver. I think he's that "leader of men" sort of guy you need, and can connect with players as a former player himself. I just think there is no way around BoB. You could have Bill Walsh as your OC and Bill Parcells as your DC... and BoB will find a way to stifle their natural ability to coach with his inability to see beyond his own tired, broken approach. 

I honestly think Weaver will make a really good coach, maybe even a really good HC one day - much like how Vrabel took Tennessee to a new level this past season.

It's going to be away from BoB, however.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Sooooo

This means 10-6 and losing in wildcard weekend hosted on ESPN correct?

I gotchu, fam:

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Texans will go 10-6 on the magic that is Deshaun Watson, lose in the first round of the playoffs (first game of playoff weekend).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Sooooo

This means 10-6 and losing in wildcard weekend hosted on ESPN correct?

Saturday afternoon playoff game, always. Historically against the Titans, or occasionally the Bengals. @ET80 and I have joked that this is the Texan's Super Bowl, which explains why the Bills lost this years game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Saturday afternoon playoff game, always. Historically against the Titans, or occasionally the Bengals. @ET80 and I have joked that this is the Texan's Super Bowl, which explains why the Bills lost this years game.

I was considering tagging you when I wrote that up. Then... I remembered I hate you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The fact that you didn't tag me makes it more special that I found it.

♪ Somewhere out there...
Beneath this 9-7 division title... ♪

It was a thread about the Texans, that I started - you don't have to be Nancy Drew to figure out I'll be stomping around here.