All 32 Starting QB's Next Season

DoleINGout

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I could see Nick Foles doing a number of things. Could remain in Jacksonville. Could retire. Or could get released and be the second or third option for the Panthers, Titans, Colts, Lions if Stafford retires, Patriots if Brady leaves, Bears, and Broncos.

Foles is the biggest wildcard to me.

Someone can feel free to correct my math, but by the numbers I crunched the Jags actually take on more hit against the cap releasing or trading him (signing bonus prorations compounding are a female dog) than they do just keeping him... and they're already projected to start the 2020 season over the cap as it is.

Also, I get that Mariota is a kitschy name to throw at the Chargers because of their rumored interest when he was a draft prospect, but 1) he's since shown (under multiple OC's, including one the Chargers fired during the last season) that he's bombed the transition from college to the pros and 2) (particularly with #1 in mind) he wouldn't walk in and start of Tyrod.  No matter what people's individual opinions of Tyrod are, if he's on the roster he's got enough history with Lynn that he's getting the first crack at the starting spot (and has Mariota shown anyone anything that leads them to believe that MM is going to put up the kind of performance that's going to convince a coach to start him over Tyrod?).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Someone can feel free to correct my math, but by the numbers I crunched the Jags actually take on more hit against the cap releasing or trading him (signing bonus prorations compounding are a female dog) than they do just keeping him... and they're already projected to start the 2020 season over the cap as it is.

Also, I get that Mariota is a kitschy name to throw at the Chargers because of their rumored interest when he was a draft prospect, but 1) he's since shown (under multiple OC's, including one the Chargers fired during the last season) that he's bombed the transition from college to the pros and 2) (particularly with #1 in mind) he wouldn't walk in and start of Tyrod.  No matter what people's individual opinions of Tyrod are, if he's on the roster he's got enough history with Lynn that he's getting the first crack at the starting spot (and has Mariota shown anyone anything that leads them to believe that MM is going to put up the kind of performance that's going to convince a coach to start him over Tyrod?).

I thought the LA fit was good for Mariota because of it's relation to Oregon and Hawaii. Chargers could use a recognizable name and maybe this is an improvement over Taylor.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Not getting cut obviously, sorry not what I meant. Foles will retire or be traded.

The cap hit still applies if he's traded.  Yes, his salary carries to his new team but they prorated a $25M signing bonus over 4 years and have only accrued 1/4 of that against the ledger.  That's $18.75M in dead money if he's traded that still hangs on a Jags franchise scheduled to be $2M over the cap when free agency starts currently.  Trading him costs them $3M more against the ledger than just keeping him would.  Their designed "out-window" (as much as one exists in that contract) is in the 2021 offseason, not this offseason.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I thought the LA fit was good for Mariota because of it's relation to Oregon and Hawaii. Chargers could use a recognizable name and maybe this is an improvement over Taylor.

Oregon is out and out Seahawks territory.  I don't even think Spanos is naive enough to try and buck that trend (and Spanos is plenty arrogant).  If the Chargers bring in a free agent QB it won't be with any other market in mind than appealing to the Los Angeles market - and you don't do that by bringing in a guy from a Pac-12 rival (who habitually owned both USC and UCLA) who bombed out on his rookie deal.  Not trying to be rude here, but this is really stretch in logic you're making.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Oregon is out and out Seahawks territory.  I don't even think Spanos is naive enough to try and buck that trend (and Spanos is plenty arrogant).  If the Chargers bring in a free agent QB it won't be with any other market in mind than appealing to the Los Angeles market - and you don't do that by bringing in a guy from a Pac-12 rival (who habitually owned both USC and UCLA) who bombed out on his rookie deal.  Not trying to be rude here, but this is really stretch in logic you're making.

I'm looking at it from how I think Mariota would rationalize it. He is closest to where he was born, Hawaii. And in his mind he would have a good opportunity to redeem himself and hopefully recoup some money next year or the year after if all goes well. Plus, from the Chargers perspective, they know Mariota is a true professional and won't hinder the team should Tyrod become the starter a la Ryan Tannehill. Reports are glowing about Mariota as a teammate. If nothing else, Taylor and Mariota offer a similar skill set; mobility outside the pocket and don't turn the ball over.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Lolwhat?

Tannehill was better this year than Prescott was, and probably isn't demanding $40 million from a team with 20 free agents.  0 percent chance this one happens.

I agree Tannehill was better than Prescott and probably is better overall, but I think the Titans won't want to franchise him and the Cowboys will swoop in. Prescott signing would be a poor move, but one I could see happening almost out of panic if both QB's end up elsewhere quickly.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yup if the Chargers were going to bring in a former highly touted draft pick that has shown nothing it will be Rosen and not Mariota. I put both at just slightly above 0 though. If Rivers isn’t brought back, which seems unlikely right now, I firmly believe they are going to gift wrap the job for Tyrod. Just scramble around and go for big plays kid... it’s going to be a dumpster fire. 

Edited by Boltstrikes