All 32 Starting QB's Next Season

DoleINGout

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Youre really going to get up in arms about a Backup QB? And as that, Mariota is just fine, same thing Blake is, same thing many of these highly touted and drafted QBs are these days, decent enough backups to hold the team together for a game or two. 

There arent enough great QBs to be starters for every team in the league, so a decent backup is the best youre going to get, too many teams think they can still be "contenders" even with a backup QB, its just not reality for how most teams are built.

And honestly, I dont see any of these other QB options (Free Agent or Trade) are really upgrades from what you currently have in Jacoby, not sure who you think would be better at this point, especially to swallow the rest of his deal and pay out a similar one ontop of it

You really think Cam wants LESS attention? Seems like it would be the other way with him

Up in arms? Where?

And that was my point, Jacoby hasn't shown the ability to be a full time starter in the league yet so they are going to either go after someone capable of starting over him or at the very least, pushing him to see if he has what it takes.Newton and Foles both have shown greater ability that Jacoby has shown at all.  Mariota is not that guy and he never will be. Also, Jacoby's deal is only for one more year and they have a ridiculous amount of cap space. It wouldn't hurt them much if they did cut him and the more likely scenario is he becomes the backup again or gets traded. 

The Cam thing is probably dead on though. I was thinking of what normal people would want. 

2 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

Jacoby hasn't shown the ability to be a full time starter in the league yet so they are going to either go after someone capable of starting over him or at the very least, pushing him to see if he has what it takes.Newton and Foles both have shown greater ability that Jacoby has shown at all. 

I guess we just disagree about Jacoby. Sure he isnt in your Elite tier of QBs, but I think he can be just behind that in the very good. Yes he needs to stay healthy, but if thats the issue, how is this iteration of Cam an upgrade in that department?

Now if we were talking Cam of 2/3 years ago, sure the Colts should be all over that (but then again he wouldnt be available) but right now you are getting the"name" Cam, and just hoping he can be something like he used to be. Hence my idea of a heavily stipulated trade for him. And in that case he wouldnt be as valuable to Indy who doesnt need to sell more tickets as he would be to the Chargers who need that more right now than actual winning (and just hope he can win)

I just dont see how you could think Foles is an upgrade over anyone right now. I just doent see a winning QB when he is out there anymore

• Like 1

If Cam was given the choice I suspect he would go to LA. He has Hollywood written all over his ego. And if there's a ticket seller/merchandise QB out there other than Brady, it would be Newton for me. Lord knows the Chargers need the revenue. Might even boost their home crowd to 25 per cent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I guess we just disagree about Jacoby. Sure he isnt in your Elite tier of QBs, but I think he can be just behind that in the very good. Yes he needs to stay healthy, but if thats the issue, how is this iteration of Cam an upgrade in that department?

Now if we were talking Cam of 2/3 years ago, sure the Colts should be all over that (but then again he wouldnt be available) but right now you are getting the"name" Cam, and just hoping he can be something like he used to be. Hence my idea of a heavily stipulated trade for him. And in that case he wouldnt be as valuable to Indy who doesnt need to sell more tickets as he would be to the Chargers who need that more right now than actual winning (and just hope he can win)

I just dont see how you could think Foles is an upgrade over anyone right now. I just doent see a winning QB when he is out there anymore

This is why we disagree, you are right on Jacoby, he isn't in the elite tier of qb's. The reasoning I have is I don't think he has the talent ceiling to ever be any better than he was last year, and considering coaches now have a year of film to study on him I really see that as a bad thing. It's just an opinion but I do feel like Foles "could" be better than him. That's why I talked about pushing him and not necessarily coming in and being handed the job. My whole point is that the colts FO can't really sit and hope with Jacoby with the team possibly being good enough in quite a few other areas to compete right now with good qb play. Mariota doesn't get them anywhere. Put him behind an established qb and it's a great fit for him, the colts are just not that team.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Depends how much we have to pay him.

If it's 12+ mil I'd rather just roll with Tyrod and use that money to spend in FA to fill holes.

If it isn’t Rivers I’d rather roll with Tyrod then any of the FA QB’s. It’s going to be a dumpster fire either way so. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

If Cam was given the choice I suspect he would go to LA. He has Hollywood written all over his ego. And if there's a ticket seller/merchandise QB out there other than Brady, it would be Newton for me. Lord knows the Chargers need the revenue. Might even boost their home crowd to 25 per cent. 

The BIG question to me is what are they going to do when they fail to sell out the new stadium? There’s only so many visiting fans available each week. I mean will the NFL finally admit its mistake when we are locally blacked out. It’s a strategy already tried and true to garner more fan support. Big stadium is going to be a bigger failure then the soccer stadium experiment was. No one cares about the Chargers in Los Angeles and now we’re seriously forced to root for Tyrod Taylor to be the starting QB? What’s next they bring in no competing for Sam Tevi saying they liked what they saw last year and he’ll continue to grow into the role?

Edited by Boltstrikes
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

The BIG question to me is what are they going to do when they fail to sell out the new stadium? There’s only so many visiting fans available each week. I mean will the NFL finally admit its mistake when we are locally blacked out. It’s a strategy already tried and true to garner more fan support. Big stadium is going to be a bigger failure then the soccer stadium experiment was. No one cares about the Chargers in Los Angeles and now we’re seriously forced to root for Tyrod Taylor to be the starting QB? What’s next they bring in no competing for Sam Tevi saying they liked what they saw last year and he’ll continue to grow into the role?

NFL stopped doing those years ago.

4 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

The game's are technical sellouts; the tickets are accounted for - just not all of them are used,  because the resale agencies weren't able to unload them (or they did, but they unloaded them to a different resale agency like Groupon).  The initial sale of the tickets are all that would have been required to stave off a blackout anyway - they aren't going to monitor gates up to 15-20 minutes before kickoff.

The soccer stadium was a logistical nightmare, coupled with Dean's lack of liquidity in relation to the new debt he took on with the move, and the entire organization's inability (or complete ignorance on) to run a grassroots marketing campaign.  Because ticket sales are included in shared revenue (last I checked), at some point the other owners are going to have to lead Spanos by the nose on how to appropriately price and go about sales, because he's a clueless moron who surrounds himself with sycophantic clueless morons.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:59 PM, The LBC said:

The game's are technical sellouts; the tickets are accounted for - just not all of them are used,  because the resale agencies weren't able to unload them (or they did, but they unloaded them to a different resale agency like Groupon).  The initial sale of the tickets are all that would have been required to stave off a blackout anyway - they aren't going to monitor gates up to 15-20 minutes before kickoff.

The soccer stadium was a logistical nightmare, coupled with Dean's lack of liquidity in relation to the new debt he took on with the move, and the entire organization's inability (or complete ignorance on) to run a grassroots marketing campaign.  Because ticket sales are included in shared revenue (last I checked), at some point the other owners are going to have to lead Spanos by the nose on how to appropriately price and go about sales, because he's a clueless moron who surrounds himself with sycophantic clueless morons.

Do you like being in LA or would you’d have been happier if they played in Vegas? Just trying to get a feel from a Chargers fan.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Do you like being in LA or would you’d have been happier if they played in Vegas? Just trying to get a feel from a Chargers fan.

I'm no longer a Chargers fan.  In fact, now that Rivers has (likely) separated himself from the team, I don't even really support them anymore.  I'll still talk them plenty because I've got a strong familiarity with the team, but Rivers was really the only reason I was invested once the Rams moved home because I grew up an LA Rams fan.

Spanos would have screwed up generating home fan support in a move to Vegas just as well as he did the move to LA; his arrogance is palpable and it's patently clear his rich NorCal grasp on the very superficial understanding of how to garner support/popularity in the LA market (i.e. "our presence should be enough... and what it's not enough for, I can just buy them off with things.").  A more self-aware (or just plain more business savvy) owner could have pretty easily generated a good amount of support for the team in the first year, even in a competitive market, had they undergone the sort of grassroots campaign (and put in the legwork) the way LAFC did - and LAFC entered the market at the exact same time with a (compared to the NFL) less-marketable sport.

• Like 1

Let's go ahead and get my thoughts out the way. Breaking it down into categories:

Set with what is or what they feel is a franchise QB:

Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray
Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan
Baltimore Ravens - Lamar Jackson
Buffalo Bills - Josh Allen
Chicago Bears - Mitch Trubisky
Cleveland Browns - Baker Mayfield
Dallas Cowboys - Dak Prescott
Denver Broncos - Drew Lock
Detroit Lions - Matt Stafford
Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers
Houston Texans - DeShaun Watson
Kansas City Chiefs - Patrick Mahomes
Los Angeles Rams - Jared Goff
Minnesota Vikings - Kurt Cousins
New York Giants - Daniel Jones
New York Jets - Sam Darnold
Philadelphia Eagles - Carson Wentz
Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Roethlisberger
San Francisco 49ers - Jimmy Garoppolo
Seattle Seahawks - Russell Wilson

Hostile/Potentially changing this offseason:

Carolina Panthers - Justin Herbert
Las Vegas Raiders - Derek Carr 
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Phillip Rivers
Tennessee Titans - Ryan Tannehill
Washington Redskins - Dwayne Haskins
Cincinnati Bengals - Joe Burrow
Indianapolis Colts - Cam Newton 
Jacksonville Jaguars - Gardner Minshew II
Miami Dolphins - Tu'a Tagavailoa

Aging Legends Potentially Leaving/Retiring:

Los Angeles Chargers - Tom Brady (Rivers heads to Tampa)
New England Patriots - Jacob Eason (Brady Leaves)
New Orleans Saints - Teddy Bridgewater (Brees retires)