2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

2019 season is over, time to reflect on things and look forward to the 2020 season.   Put together a depth chart with color coding to highlight the (likely) starters for 2020 and the areas of need.  

Need based on 2020 Free agents (Light blue), ERFA (light gold), needed upgrade (poor performance, cap cost, draft pick "bust" (red)

OFFENSE:  The glaring holes are  the RT, WR and TE spots.  Debatable on Linsley at Center.  Need to start looking for his replacement soon, as I do not see him getting a 3rd contract.  

DEFENSE:  DL and ILB with another CB needed as a buffer on King and Williams.   As frustrating as it might be,, there are multiple pieces needed on the D

------------------------------

RT

WR x2

TE

IOL

DL x2

ILB x2

CB

Key Starter for 2020 Free Agent ERFA (cheap to return) Need upgrade/cap purge

STARTER 2ND 3RD 4TH
QB Aaron Rodgers Tim Boyle - -
RB Aaron Jones Jamaal Williams Tyler Ervin Dexter Williams O
WR Davante Adams Jake Kumerow Equanimeous St. Brown IR -
WR Allen Lazard Marquez Valdes-Scantling - -
WR Geronimo Allison Ryan Grant O - -
TE Jimmy Graham Marcedes Lewis Robert Tonyan Jace Sternberger
LT David Bakhtiari Alex Light O John Leglue O Yosh Nijman IR
LG Elgton Jenkins Lucas Patrick Cole Madison IR Lane Taylor IR
C Corey Linsley Lucas Patrick - -
RG Billy Turner Lucas Patrick Cole Madison IR -
RT Bryan Bulaga Jared Veldheer Jason Spriggs IR -

STARTER 2ND 3RD 4TH
LDE Dean Lowry Montravius Adams - -
NT Kenny Clark Montravius Adams - -
RDE Tyler Lancaster Kingsley Keke - -
WLB Preston Smith Kyler Fackrell - -
LILB B.J. Goodson Oren Burks - -
RILB Blake Martinez Ty Summers Curtis Bolton IR -
SLB Za'Darius Smith Rashan Gary Greg Roberts IR -
LCB Jaire Alexander Q Chandon Sullivan Josh Jackson -
SS Adrian Amos Q Raven Greene O Will Redmond -
FS Darnell Savage Ibraheim Campbell - -
RCB Kevin King Tramon Williams Ka'dar Hollman O -

STARTER 2ND 3RD 4TH
PK Mason Crosby - - -
P JK Scott - - -
H JK Scott - - -
PR Tyler Ervin Tramon Williams - -
KR Tyler Ervin Chandon Sullivan - -
LS Hunter Bradley -    
  • Like 2

The good news is we have the money to do our best to try and fix this. We don't have the draft capital, so we have got to find a couple starters on offense in FA. I'm looking WR/TE and using our 1st rounder on a DT if we can fill those in FA. 

Linebacker is a priority as well. If there was ever a year to hit on 2 starters with our first 2 picks, it's this one. Any 2 of WR/TE/DT/ILB would be great

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

Just now, JBURGE said:

The good news is we have the money to do our best to try and fix this. We don't have the draft capital, so we have got to find a couple starters on offense in FA. I'm looking WR/TE and using our 1st rounder on a DT if we can fill those in FA. 

I agree that GB has the cap space to add some players to fill the holes.   I would go the opposite way, fill the DL via FA and draft a WR early + a vet to supplement it.

Will be interesting to see how Gutekunst feels about players that the fans feel should certainly be cut.....Graham for sure.    Will Gutekunst feel that there is not really a better option in FA or draft to cut Graham?  How do they feel about Sternberger being able to fill the Graham role and look to add a smaller/lower tier player via FA or draft

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squire12 said:
5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I agree that GB has the cap space to add some players to fill the holes.   I would go the opposite way, fill the DL via FA and draft a WR early + a vet to supplement it.

Will be interesting to see how Gutekunst feels about players that the fans feel should certainly be cut.....Graham for sure.    Will Gutekunst feel that there is not really a better option in FA or draft to cut Graham?  How do they feel about Sternberger being able to fill the Graham role and look to add a smaller/lower tier player via FA or draft

Jimmy showed enough in the last few games to be roster-able if his cap hit wasn't so damn high. We actually threw at him a few times and he got in a good rhythm. He has 0 agility left so as soon as someone gets close you know he's going down 

My top target on offense is Ebron without really knowing what his value is. I can't see more than $8m/yr. 

I don't really love the LB free agents. I see us bringing Martinez back, but I still think we need to look to the draft there. Kwiatowski is an option

IDL there are options in FA but they will be expensive. Get a middling FA guy and draft one int he 1st if it makes sense.

WR look in the 2nd round. Might have to move up but it's a good class.

TE I think we're ok if we get Ebron, don't need to draft. If we cut Graham and add no one in FA it's a lost position again. 

RB I'd love to draft one. Dexter Williams is a JAG and if we draft one in this great class, like Eno Benjamin at the bottom of the 3rd, we could make the choice in 2021 who we go with and maybe not pay 33

8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Jimmy showed enough in the last few games to be roster-able if his cap hit wasn't so damn high. We actually threw at him a few times and he got in a good rhythm. He has 0 agility left so as soon as someone gets close you know he's going down 

Agree.  The cap hit is the issue.   If he would be willing to reduce it by 50%, that might be an option

My top target on offense is Ebron without really knowing what his value is. I can't see more than $8m/yr. 

Not a huge fan of Ebron, 1 solid year that was bumped at lot via TD's if felt like

I don't really love the LB free agents. I see us bringing Martinez back, but I still think we need to look to the draft there. Kwiatowski is an option

Schobet, Kwiatowski (spelling)

IDL there are options in FA but they will be expensive. Get a middling FA guy and draft one int he 1st if it makes sense.

I think there are a few really solid potions at IDL.   I have a mock that is in the works addressing it.   Just need to get a bit more into the draft portion.  

WR look in the 2nd round. Might have to move up but it's a good class.

Double dip at WR I think.  Class is so strong.  Don't see much on FA for WR upgrade

TE I think we're ok if we get Ebron, don't need to draft. If we cut Graham and add no one in FA it's a lost position again. 

RB I'd love to draft one. Dexter Williams is a JAG and if we draft one in this great class, like Eno Benjamin at the bottom of the 3rd, we could make the choice in 2021 who we go with and maybe not pay 33

agree on the RB part.  Not sure what Dexter Williams is at this point.  I liked his running style at ND.  But 6th round pick is hard to count on that.  

Need OL, DL to be the priority this year. After that grab a WR, ILB and extra corner. Take a swing on another TE in FA because I’d like to see what Jace can do with a full offseason under his belt. Filling holes is going to be tough this year due to the low draft capitol but this is what Gute gets paid for. The Pats have been drafting in at the end of rounds of 10 years and they have rings on rings to show for it so let‘s get the job done.

4 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

Need OL, DL to be the priority this year. After that grab a WR, ILB and extra corner. Take a swing on another TE in FA because I’d like to see what Jace can do with a full offseason under his belt. Filling holes is going to be tough this year due to the low draft capitol but this is what Gute gets paid for. The Pats have been drafting in at the end of rounds of 10 years and they have rings on rings to show for it so let‘s get the job done.

Not sure why OL needs to be a priority at all. I wouldn't be upset if we didn't take an OL before the 5th round, unless you plan on letting Bulaga walk

Anybody want to try and sign Veldheer for a 1-2 year deal and let Bulaga walk?  I still don't trust that Bulaga can hold up.  Got to figure Veldheer will be cheaper than Bulaga by several million.  I'm thinking we draft an OT and another OG as well.  I could see Linsley getting pushed out and Jenkins moving in to his rightful spot at Center.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Not sure why OL needs to be a priority at all. I wouldn't be upset if we didn't take an OL before the 5th round, unless you plan on letting Bulaga walk

Need a RT and possibly a C. Billy Turner can be upgraded but he’s been paid so I doubt Gute will allocate any more resources to the G position.

28 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Anybody want to try and sign Veldheer for a 1-2 year deal and let Bulaga walk?  I still don't trust that Bulaga can hold up.  Got to figure Veldheer will be cheaper than Bulaga by several million.  I'm thinking we draft an OT and another OG as well.  I could see Linsley getting pushed out and Jenkins moving in to his rightful spot at Center.  

Not sure going cheap is the best way to elongate Rodgers career. If that’s what you want.

2 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:
32 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Need a RT and possibly a C. Billy Turner can be upgraded but he’s been paid so I doubt Gute will allocate any more resources to the G position.

So we want to let Bulaga walk then in this scenario? Since the rest of our OL is so strong I have no issue taking a mid round shot at a C like we have in the past who replaces Linsley in 2021

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

So we want to let Bulaga walk then in this scenario? Since the rest of our OL is so strong I have no issue taking a mid round shot at a C like we have in the past who replaces Linsley in 2021

I wouldn't be surprised if Linsley was a cap casualty.

• Like 1