2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Funny, we were having a conversation about our secondary and when I mentioned Chandon Sullivan was listed as a CB, you chimed in with how he plays most many of his snaps as a safety and therefore you were correct. 

It really is OK to admit being wrong once in a while. It is actually a positive characteristic. 

So you just stopped reading after the second sentence?

10 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Funny, we were having a conversation about our secondary and when I mentioned Chandon Sullivan was listed as a CB, you chimed in with how he plays most many of his snaps as a safety and therefore you were correct. 

It really is OK to admit being wrong once in a while. It is actually a positive characteristic. 

Irony is strong 

29 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Here's every (edit: first quarter) snap that Sullivan played in the game that he played the most snaps.

That's a Safety. You could probably split the difference and call him a sub-back if you're looking to save face. It would probably be more accurate than calling him a pure Safety, but that is not the role distribution of a CB. 

Y2fbGdy.png

PvTj5iq.png

SNeaOok.png

wB89Wq5.png

mQufcfS.png

eW3nqEi.png

6SMfEra.png

S1Wy2fb.png

Edited by AlexGreen#20

Interesting that Jaire and K King were lined up in similar position to Sullivan, not as often but they were. In four of the eight slides he's lined up directly across from a WR. In three of those it is the slot receiver. Looks like a nickle or dime CB who was lining up on different spots according to what the offense was doing. 

Edited by Golfman

Yeah I REALLY want a veteran cornerback.  Kirkpatrick would be great.

Somebody, anybody, on a one year deal.  Kirkpatrick has been bad to okay his entire career.  I don't want one of these veterans because I think they're good, I want one of these veterans because I don't want to get down to whoever that 6th round pick we had last year was and some undrafted nobody that won't turn into Sam Shields/Tramon Williams.

I HATE our depth at cornerback. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Interesting that Jaire and K King were lined up in similar position to Sullivan, not as often but they were. In four of the eight slides he's lined up directly across from a WR. In three of those it is the slot receiver. Looks like a nickle or dime CB who was lining up on different spots according to what the offense was doing. 

Do you understand the difference between nickle corner and boundary corner? 

Because the difference is significant. 

The Packers took Damarious Randall in the first round because he frequently played man coverage on slot receivers.  So you're telling me that Randall was a cornerback then?

90% sure you're the one who argued that it was Thompson's fault for playing Randall out of position, so now you've got to admit to being wrong about one thing.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Do you understand the difference between nickle corner and boundary corner? 

Because the difference is significant. 

The Packers took Damarious Randall in the first round because he frequently played man coverage on slot receivers.  So you're telling me that Randall was a cornerback then?

90% sure you're the one who argued that it was Thompson's fault for playing Randall out of position, so now you've got to admit to being wrong about one thing.

Did you look at the slides before making your asinine post? The last slide, unless my eyes are bad, there is Alexander on the G at the 50 as the ball is snapped. There does not appear to be any motion, although we can't tell if there was pre-snap motion because Sullivan is at the bottom of the screen on the boundary. Not where he usually played and not his forte. 

Are you telling me the Packers used Randall at safety? He played outside a whole lot in Green Bay and was terrible there. You may think they drafted him to play in the slot, but he was outside, on the boundary, a significant amount of the time and was exposed.  

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Jaire and King were never lined up in similar positions to Sullivan when there was a receiver on their side of the field. 

Sullivan was never lined up across from a receiver when Tramon was on the field. 

So . . . Now tell me. What do you call the Defensive Back who splits their time between covering Receivers/Tight Ends in the slot, and lining up in the box for run support? I know you know the answer to this question. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Did you look at the slides before making your asinine post? The last slide, unless my eyes are bad, there is Alexander on the G at the 50 as the ball is snapped. There does not appear to be any motion, although we can't tell if there was pre-snap motion because Sullivan is at the bottom of the screen on the boundary. Not where he usually played and not his forte. 

Are you telling me the Packers used Randall at safety? He played outside a whole lot in Green Bay and was terrible there. You may think they drafted him to play in the slot, but he was outside, on the boundary, a significant amount of the time and was exposed.  

Alexander plays on the defense's left side of the field. The only time he ever moves is when we're in man coverage (not that frequent) and when there isn't a WR over on that side of the field for him to cover. Then he comes over. That's what you're seeing. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Alexander plays on the defense's left side of the field. The only time he ever moves is when we're in man coverage (not that frequent) and when there isn't a WR over on that side of the field for him to cover. Then he comes over. That's what you're seeing. 

Agreed! So either through motion or alignment they schemed him into a position which you are trying to say is more safety than CB. It looks to me like he's got the third receiver from the bottom man to man. I can't see the guys number. They also have Sullivan as the boundary CB at the bottom, not his best position.

If you are saying the lines between a CB and S are becoming blurred in modern NFL, I can agree with that statement. 

Sullivan played 35 of 42 snaps in the slot against Dallas, his best game. 

Just now, Golfman said:

No, that's my entire Goddamn point.  Are you being purposefully obtuse? 

You're arguing that Sullivan was a cornerback.  He wasn't.  He was a safety that covered the slot receiver a lot.  He also covered tight ends and backs.  That's a safety role. 

The thing on Randall that you're being too dense and stubborn to comprehend: 

1. Damarious Randall played safety at ASU. 
2. He frequently played man coverage on the slot receiver. 
3. The Packers, seeing Randall play the slot receiver frequently, thought he could play cornerback.  On the boundary. 
4. Randall could not.  Well, he did, and he did it well for 2/3 years he was here, but that is not his skillset. 

Sullivan is not a cornerback.