2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Dude.  Chill out.  You are really doubling down on a lot of silly things lately.  

I don't really care what he is listed at.  PPF rates him as a safety.  Cool that GB lists him as a corner.  I see that.  I also see that Lucas Patrick is a guard and a center.  Lancaster is a DE.  Adams is a DE and NT.  

I list those others (and Sullivan is not listed as a safety) because there is fluidity.

As far as PFF goes, I find it interesting that they deem his reps to be from a safety position, hence he is rated against others who also play safety.  I wonder how his score would be if scored as a corner.

If you want to continue be snarky, feel free.

You chime in with a 'snarky' remark and are surprised when you get one back! Irony! 

12 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Anything to keep from admitting you are wrong about anything! LOL! xD

This coming from the person who would rather throw a tantrum over the Funchess contract rather then admit he was wrong when being shown a multitude of different ways that it was a good contract? The irony here. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Here's a topic. 

Our off season was like a C+ so far. Change my mind.

(First one to use Ted years as the grading scale gets banned)

What makes it a C plus?

IMO we are a worse team than we were at the end of the season. We lost: Bulaga, Martinez, Tramon, Allison, Graham, Vitale, Veldheer.  Added Wagner, Funches, and Kirksey.  Inarguable step back at tackle, FB, and TE.  Maybe an upgrade at WR.  Probable downgrade at ILB.  We are apparently trying to extend a running back, and haven't paid Kenny Clark, yet.  Probably the biggest contributing factor to losing the NFCC, defensive line, has not been addressed.  And we are pretty strapped for cap room. 

IMO, we get the old "D" for diploma.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What makes it a C plus?

IMO we are a worse team than we were at the end of the season. We lost: Bulaga, Martinez, Tramon, Allison, Graham, Vitale, Veldheer.  Added Wagner, Funches, and Kirksey.  Inarguable step back at tackle, FB, and TE.  Maybe an upgrade at WR.  Probable downgrade at ILB.  We are apparently trying to extend a running back, and haven't paid Kenny Clark, yet.  Probably the biggest contributing factor to losing the NFCC, defensive line, has not been addressed.  And we are pretty strapped for cap room. 

Some might say the DL FA group was crap and they got overpaid, so better to stand pat with what GB has and hope a team does not watch the SF game film from last season

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Some might say the DL FA group was crap and they got overpaid, so better to stand pat with what GB has and hope a team does not watch the SF game film from last season

I don't think there are too many teams that can do what SF did to us last season.  They had a stellar DL, and on offense they had 3 or 4 very underrated RBs behind a powerful OL.  They also choked away the Super Bowl.  It wasn't a Falcons level choke job, but they let go of control of that game. 

I also didn't include the loss of Sackrell because I am giving the benefit of the doubt to Rashan Gary to make improvements in year 2.

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What makes it a C plus?

What's the "D" for though, the results or effort? I mean we are strapped for cap space and I think we've used what cap we have very wisely. We got Wagner for about $5mil when teams are paying guys like Vaitai and George Fant $10m per year. We got Kirksey who is a better player (when healthy) than his former coworker Schobert who got $10m from the Jags. Funchess is coming here on a dime. Had he merely played the 2019 season and hit no more than average No. 2 WR stats, he would have commanded a contract similar to Robby Anderson given the dearth of WR talent in FA. 

We still have holes but we have to play the long game here. We literally have to wait for bargains given our cap situation, and so far, we've done a decent job for it. 

In terms of where we were then versus now, 

FB: who cares, Vitale was hurt and didn't play much anyways. No big loss. 

TE: maybe....maybe a minor stepback in losing Graham. That's a big maybe and idc who you replace him with. Again, the addition of Funchess and his role over the middle of the field should actually upgrade us in that department because a lot of Graham's slot snaps will now go to Funchess...the better player. 

OT: step back. By far the biggest step back from Bulaga to Wagner and we could do a lot worse than Wagner. That's simply a testament to Bulaga. No one was going to replace him and be even a draw IMO. 

ILB: Most people know how I feel about Martinez. Kirksey is the better player. Martinez is the healthier, more dependable player. If Kirksey stays on the field, it's an upgrade. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

This coming from the person who would rather throw a tantrum over the Funchess contract rather then admit he was wrong when being shown a multitude of different ways that it was a good contract? The irony here. 

Disagreeing with a players talent thus worth is a far different subject. Go back and look at the beginning of the Funchess thread. It was reported we got him or near the vet minimum and everyone seemed happy about that. Turns out it was 3 times that if he just participates in 15 games this year. That is with no production requirement.

So it goes from near the vet minimum to 3 million and everybody clapped like a bunch of trained seals. 

Two completely different scenarios there sport! 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

All hope now for Jernigan. He would sure fit the mold this off-season as a guy who basically was hurt all last year but has pretty good past production. 

Gute don't want a D line man. He would have got one if he did there were so many to choose from. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Disagreeing with a players talent thus worth is a far different subject. Go back and look at the beginning of the Funchess thread. It was reported we got him or near the vet minimum and everyone seemed happy about that. Turns out it was 3 times that if he just participates in 15 games this year. That is with no production requirement.

So it goes from near the vet minimum to 3 million and everybody clapped like a bunch of trained seals. 

Two completely different scenarios there sport! 

I'm sorry what? That's a nice round-up there on his contract to fit the narrative to your continued temper tantrum over something so minuscule. The fact is, many people showed you a MULTITUDE of ways the contract is NOT a bad signing and what did you resort to? Insulting users that didn't agree with your take and storming off because it made far more sense to do that, then to understand a narrative that was different from your own. In other words, if you aren't right, you don't want to hear it. Nothing different about it. The fact is, you did everything to ensure you didn't have to admit you were wrong, which you were then and well unfortunately for you, you still are! Funny how that works eh?

• Like 1