2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

All hope now for Jernigan. He would sure fit the mold this off-season as a guy who basically was hurt all last year but has pretty good past production. 

I agree.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

ILB: Most people know how I feel about Martinez. Kirksey is the better player. Martinez is the healthier, more dependable player. If Kirksey stays on the field, it's an upgrade. 

I disagree.

I say D because the team is, in my opinion, worse.  We still don't have the draft, so things will probably change, and football doesn't start until August (fingers crossed).

Packers got better:

WR

Packers got worse:

OL, TE, CB

We will agree to disagree on the ILB, and agree that FB is all but worthless anyway.

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

I'm sorry what? That's a nice round-up there on his contract to fit the narrative to your continued temper tantrum over something so minuscule. The fact is, many people showed you a MULTITUDE of ways the contract is NOT a bad signing and what did you resort to? Insulting users that didn't agree with your take and storming off because it made far more sense to do that, then to understand a narrative that was different from your own. In other words, if you aren't right, you don't want to hear it. Nothing different about it. The fact is, you did everything to ensure you didn't have to admit you were wrong, which you were then and well unfortunately for you, you still are! Funny how that works eh?

Understanding when you are not going to agree with the opposing person and discontinuing a lost cause conversation is not storming off. There is nothing to be gained when you are at an impasse. The conversation usually deteriorates from there. You think it was a good signing, I don't. You see we disagree and that is OK. I'll be rooting for Funchess and hope he outperforms his deal. Will gladly admit if he does that I was wrong. For the moment, paying 3 million on a guy who won't make a difference doesn't seem like good business sense to me. 

See sport, we just disagree on this one! Unfortunately, claiming you won, is very different from actually winning. You should be a Bears fan with that attitude. Have a nice evening sport! 

1 minute ago, Jaegybomb said:

This years offseason is the consequence of last year's. When you look at it all as a whole trading Martinez, Bulaga, Graham, Haha, Fackrell and Perry for Wagner, Kirksey, Funchess, Amos, Smith and Smith isn't bad at all.

So in order to make this off-season not look pretty bad, we're going to have to take into account last year's off-season?

34 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What makes it a C plus?

IMO we are a worse team than we were at the end of the season. We lost: Bulaga, Martinez, Tramon, Allison, Graham, Vitale, Veldheer.  Added Wagner, Funches, and Kirksey.  Inarguable step back at tackle, FB, and TE.  Maybe an upgrade at WR.  Probable downgrade at ILB.  We are apparently trying to extend a running back, and haven't paid Kenny Clark, yet.  Probably the biggest contributing factor to losing the NFCC, defensive line, has not been addressed.  And we are pretty strapped for cap room. 

IMO, we get the old "D" for diploma.  

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this. I think Gute gets a B+ for the way he handled free agency this year. Losing Martinez isn't that big of a loss (Not because he's a bad player) -- Fact is, for what this system asks of him, there was no way he was going to be paid what he was seeking nor what he ended up getting. Ricky Wagner / Kirksey / Funchess is a nice haul with some upside on each of those players for a fraction of the cost and filled some glaring holes going into the NFL Draft. To me, we lost Bulaga and Martinez to keep Bakh and Clark and managed to find potential FA sleepers who could more than outperform their contracts next year. I'm extremely content with the way we handled Free Agency and really look forward to seeing how Gute addresses the NFL draft. There's a vision here and you can see it. We just gotta believe in it!

• Like 1

I would say last offseason was pretty close to an A.  I personally don't like where the Turner contract has us right now.  I think we may have been just as good going for another rookie or one of Patrick or Madison, but that might be wishful thinking.  So yes, this year will not be like last, and I am fully aware that it couldn't be like that too.

D .. no significant impact added to the roster.  We probably got worse at OT, and ILB, but improved at WR.  If kirksey can stay healthy I think he will be productive  Not adding another Dlineman is mystifying. Losing Graham is not much of a loss in my opinion, but we didn't exactly improve either.  I'm also surprised that we haven't seen any player extensions. The Kenny Clark thing seems like should be wrapped up by now.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}

This off season is neither good or bad at this point. It is all speculation, including my take on Funchess. If we win the Super Bowl this was a terrific off season. If we miss the playoffs this off season clearly did not make us better. 

At this point it is nothing more than speculation. Some see the glass half full, others half empty. Like life! 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

D .. no significant impact added to the roster.  We probably got worse at OT, and ILB, but improved at WR.  If kirksey can stay healthy I think he will be productive  Not adding another Dlineman is mystifying. Losing Graham is not much of a loss in my opinion, but he didn't exactly improve either.  I'm also surprised that we haven't seen any player extensions. The Kenny Clark thing seems like should be wrapped up by now.  

That is an unknown. If Sternberger breaks out, we improved. If he tanks and we add nothing else of value we digressed. This is all speculation! 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

That is an unknown. If Sternberger breaks out, we improved. If he tanks and we add nothing else of value we digressed. This is all speculation! 

Yeah, so what?  They asked for a grade so I gave them a grade based on where I think things are right now. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Understanding when you are not going to agree with the opposing person and discontinuing a lost cause conversation is not storming off. There is nothing to be gained when you are at an impasse. The conversation usually deteriorates from there. You think it was a good signing, I don't. You see we disagree and that is OK. I'll be rooting for Funchess and hope he outperforms his deal. Will gladly admit if he does that I was wrong. For the moment, paying 3 million on a guy who won't make a difference doesn't seem like good business sense to me. 

See sport, we just disagree on this one! Unfortunately, claiming you won, is very different from actually winning. You should be a Bears fan with that attitude. Have a nice evening sport! 

You see "sport" I'm going to teach you a lesson real quick. When you have an opinion that a majority of the folks tend to disagree with and your immediate response to those that disagree with you, are attempted insults/hostile approaches -- well then sport you look rather juvenile and quite frankly you do now as well. It's okay sport one day you'll understand. I have faith!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

This off season is neither good or bad at this point. It is all speculation, including my take on Funchess. If we win the Super Bowl this was a terrific off season. If we miss the playoffs this off season clearly did not make us better. 

At this point it is nothing more than speculation. Some see the glass half full, others half empty. Like life! 

If this had been the offseason when Thompson was the GM, we would be having nuclear meltdowns about not improving the roster in Rodgers last year(s)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

You see "sport" I'm going to teach you a lesson real quick. When you have an opinion that a majority of the folks tend to disagree with and your immediate response to those that disagree with you, are attempted insults/hostile approaches -- well then sport you look rather juvenile and quite frankly you do now as well. It's okay sport one day you'll understand. I have faith!

So your logic, or the lack thereof, is when the majority says its good, then it's good! See Junior, history is littered with situations that make that thinking seem quite foolish. I've never been a follow the herd type. You seem perfectly fine doing so. Good for you, it works for non-critical thinkers. The world needs sheep! Enjoy! 

Have a good night!