2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I just have to laugh at people who speak with such certainty yet their only knowledge of a player is the box score that a Google search pulled up of them.

Howard was a 1st round pick, who has a career YPC of 15.5 and a career catch rate of 67%. He's one of the best TEs in the NFL that's been massively underused by inept coaches. To get him for a 4th would be an utter steal and he would instantly be on par with Aaron Jones as the 2nd best player on our offense.

Speak with certainty when you have knowledge and context please.

My context is just as accurate as your context

https://www.dynastynerds.com/a-tiger-cant-change-his-stripes/

I think it's fairly common belief that Bruce Arians doesn't utilize the TE in his offenses.  Cameron Brate's numbers declined significantly under Arians as well.    Arians designs and runs a good successful offensive scheme - it just doesn't revolve around the TE.    Howard is a better use of any pick 3rd-7th than anyone we are taking in the draft imo.

6 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

https://www.dynastynerds.com/a-tiger-cant-change-his-stripes/

I think it's fairly common belief that Bruce Arians doesn't utilize the TE in his offenses.  Cameron Brate's numbers declined significantly under Arians as well.    Arians designs and runs a good successful offensive scheme - it just doesn't revolve around the TE.    Howard is a better use of any pick 3rd-7th than anyone we are taking in the draft imo.

A fair comparison would be Howard for 1 year vs a draftee for 4.

That's certainly the consideration.

49ers traded their 3rd and 4th rnd picks for Sanders and a 5th.     To make a trade work you do need to trade something of value too - that being the 4 years of control and TB's ability to draft a player they will actually use.   We would use Howard extensively. Imo he would come into the team as the top TE option (and I do believe in Sternberger's future).   

Added bonus - OJ Howard is a very effective blocking TE and significantly more dynamic than Lewis as a dual threat.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/16/this-o-j-howard-stat-proves-he-was-an-effective-tight-end-this-year/

... according to ESPN, Howard did a great job in one particular area this year. In their 2019 advanced statistics awards, ESPN said that according to the stats, Howard was the league’s best pass-blocking tight end.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Added bonus - OJ Howard is a very effective blocking TE and significantly more dynamic than Lewis as a dual threat.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/16/this-o-j-howard-stat-proves-he-was-an-effective-tight-end-this-year/

... according to ESPN, Howard did a great job in one particular area this year. In their 2019 advanced statistics awards, ESPN said that according to the stats, Howard was the league’s best pass-blocking tight end.

OJ Howard is a good blocker, but he's not anywhere near a guy like Lewis  who can actually take on a DE head up. I can't imagine Howard had more than 60 reps of pass blocking all year???

37 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

OJ Howard is a good blocker, but he's not anywhere near a guy like Lewis  who can actually take on a DE head up. I can't imagine Howard had more than 60 reps of pass blocking all year???

All Howard did was pass block. I think he ran routes on like 40% of his snaps. Fantasy guys were livid.

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No disagreement that Lewis is a great blocker.  He serves a purpose on the team.   However, he also played in 16 games, starting 11..and had 19 total targets in the passing game (21 including 2 Playoff games).  So he has a purpose but that purpose is not to stretch a team vertically.    OJ Howard is arguably a substantially comparable blocker,  but their receiving skills are incomparable.    MLF has stated his offense works best with a 12 package and the ability to run different plays off of the same looks.   If Sternberger can improve as a blocker, as the coaches seem to think he can, and be credible in the passing game this year (which I think he can) then the combination of Sternberger/Howard would be much more dynamic and more stressful on a defense than Sternberger/Lewis.    Each has the ability to stretch the seam which Lewis simply can't do, or run any number of routes Lewis just doesn't have the wheels for anymore and they could have the ability to block as well on any given play and do so from either side of the field from the same look.

Then again...we do have Tonyan.....so there's that

19 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

No disagreement that Lewis is a great blocker.  He serves a purpose on the team.   However, he also played in 16 games, starting 11..and had 19 total targets in the passing game (21 including 2 Playoff games).  So he has a purpose but that purpose is not to stretch a team vertically.    OJ Howard is arguably a substantially comparable blocker,  but their receiving skills are incomparable.    MLF has stated his offense works best with a 12 package and the ability to run different plays off of the same looks.   If Sternberger can improve as a blocker, as the coaches seem to think he can, and be credible in the passing game this year (which I think he can) then the combination of Sternberger/Howard would be much more dynamic and more stressful on a defense than Sternberger/Lewis.    Each has the ability to stretch the seam which Lewis simply can't do, or run any number of routes Lewis just doesn't have the wheels for anymore and they could have the ability to block as well on any given play and do so from either side of the field from the same look.

Then again...we do have Tonyan.....so there's that

I don't think we need to spend time comparing Lewis and Howard. It's obvious their differences. Lewis is a glorified OT that sometimes runs some tackle eligibles. 

• Like 3

The bucs used their local mouthpiece to put out the opening bid for Howard :

"The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud also suggests any trade inquiries surrounding the 25-year-old would have to start with a second-round pick"

Highly unlikely the Packers will be participating in this auction

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud also suggests any trade inquiries surrounding the 25-year-old would have to start with a second-round pick"

No thanks

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

You always start high on an asking price.  Very much doubt with TB not using tight ends plus now having an over abundance of them they will be holding out for a 2nd round pick.  I'd do a 3rd for him and let er rip. 

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Its A No From Me Dog GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1