2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Didn’t Turner play tackle before he came here?

I think so...and was not very good at it.

Thinking he bounced around some, then ended up in Denver, played a few different spots.  Underwhelming.  Then got to play guard for an extended period of time and found his home.  

24 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Didn’t Turner play tackle before he came here?

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think so...and was not very good at it.

Thinking he bounced around some, then ended up in Denver, played a few different spots.  Underwhelming.  Then got to play guard for an extended period of time and found his home.  

He did and he played as well as they could've hoped given his situation. The fact that he stepped up and played at a level that was above average got him the contract with Green Bay not to mention his versatility in playing both inside and out. It was a bad contract(think Nick Perry) and we're going to have to probably bite some dead money at some point with it.

As I suggested in another thread: we should see if Philly would bite on him and a couple picks. Perhaps we could move up Day 2 or 3 with Philly including him with a pick.

I think people are discounting Turner too quickly.  Offensive linemen aren't always the best they can be from one year to the next.  Lots of people wanted us to cut Bulaga to save 6 million dollars (lol) and then he had the best season from any OL on our team this year. 

Bakhtiari wasn't great this year either.  He wasn't bad by any means, but he wasn't as good as we were accustomed to. 

Turner was still about an average IOL this year. 

When your lowest-rated OL is a 64.8 on PFF, you had a really damn strong year on the offensive line.  He's going to be fine next year.  The fact that he can be a swing tackle is worth his contract alone. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I think people are discounting Turner too quickly.  Offensive linemen aren't always the best they can be from one year to the next.  Lots of people wanted us to cut Bulaga to save 6 million dollars (lol) and then he had the best season from any OL on our team this year. 

Bakhtiari wasn't great this year either.  He wasn't bad by any means, but he wasn't as good as we were accustomed to. 

Turner was still about an average IOL this year. 

When your lowest-rated OL is a 64.8 on PFF, you had a really damn strong year on the offensive line.  He's going to be fine next year.  The fact that he can be a swing tackle is worth his contract alone. 

That's not the be-all end-all. Laurent Duvarney-Tardiff had a 57.8 PFF rating and that was on a SB winning OL...

Turner is a depth player that played out of his element in 2018 and was rewarded with a short-sighted contract...

Just now, Joe said:

That's not the be-all end-all. Laurent Duvarney-Tardiff had a 57.8 PFF rating and that was on a SB winning OL...

Turner is a depth player that played out of his element in 2018 and was rewarded with a short-sighted contract...

Okay, this proves my point, man. 

If there's one thing PFF can get right it's OL play.  If you're looking at a Super Bowl winning IOL who is worse than Turner, what are you complaining about Turner for?  He wasn't bad. 

We were tied for 5th in sacks allowed this year.  That's 5th best. 
We were 6th in adjusted sack rate. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2019

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

If you want Turner to be better, get on Aaron's case and tell him to remove his head from his ***. 

The perception of the Packers’ offensive line doesn’t always meet reality. Aaron Rodgers consistently holds onto the football with one of the longest average time to throws in the NFL. As PFF Data Scientist Timo Riske explored with offensive line survival rates, that significantly increases the chance for quarterback pressure and sacks. Their 22nd-ranked pressure rate allowed isn’t all that impressive, but their average time to allow a  pressure of 2.62 seconds (best in the NFL) is much more so.

Best in the NFL in time to allow pressure and you're complaining about an average IOL. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

He did and he played as well as they could've hoped given his situation. The fact that he stepped up and played at a level that was above average got him the contract with Green Bay not to mention his versatility in playing both inside and out. It was a bad contract(think Nick Perry) and we're going to have to probably bite some dead money at some point with it.

As I suggested in another thread: we should see if Philly would bite on him and a couple picks. Perhaps we could move up Day 2 or 3 with Philly including him with a pick.

Just me telling you what my eyes saw last year regarding Turner.

Struggled early in the year.  Was okay for a stretch in the middle, then had a couple really good games in a row, then went back to being okay again.  It was an up and down year.

I have to think that being in the system for a second year will benefit him greatly.

I'm really not worried about our RG spot, like at all.  Contract isn't that bad, either.  It's fine.  And he's fine.  No way do I move him to tackle.  No way do I trade him.

6 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

He diiiiiid, but according to DEN and MIA fans it was a **** show

That's why I worded my post the way I did. Denver fans thought he played OK for the time he was in there and he wasn't exactly a liability, but they didn't see him as a permanent starter, at least at RT.

Turner can be adequate at RG.  Think he'd be badly exposed at RT.  I wouldn't give him any consideration for replacing Bulaga at RT.  **If** that's what they were kinda hoping for when they signed him, I sure hope they discard that notion.  

• Like 1

For my 1/4 cents' worth, I think the Right Tackle position may play out like this--Pick Austin Jackson, OT, USC if they can get him at the end of Round One. Pick Marcus Norman, OT, South Florida, if they have to wait until Round Three. And they can always resign Bulaga for at least two/three years and wait until next year to draft an OT like Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame, Jaylen Mayfield of Michigan or even Cole Van Lanen of the Badgers. But it's just my 1/4 cents worth.

I wouldn't just "pass".  You gotta kick those tires first, right?

And...for all that he isn't...he would be the second or third best WR on our roster and I have to think his speed would be used nicely on jet sweeps and for motion plays in general.  I think GB could use him...or someone like him.

EDIT: Oh..and for the vet minimum.  Think that about covers it.

Edited by vegas492