2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I noticed that NFL teams are now starting to cut guys loose.  When is Graham going to get the axe?  That should be a an easy call for Gute.

I think there’s a 40% chance a lot of y’all are gonna be disappointed.  We didn’t cut Cobb when we should have, and I’m not convinced we’re going to cut Graham.  I’d say chances are better he’s cut, but I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion a lot of people seem to think it is.  Everyone loves Graham and he’s still a serviceable receiving option.  The money isn’t right, but that didn’t get us to cut Clay, Cobb, and a couple others.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Just need one more CB that’s not incompetent.  Especially if Josh Jackson doesn’t take a third year leap.  We’ve got King, Alexander and then a whole lot of nobody.  We don’t need to break the bank there, we just need a veteran who knows what he’s doing.  

Should have been Breeland, but he wants to get paid now after his Superbowl performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I think there’s a 40% chance a lot of y’all are gonna be disappointed.  We didn’t cut Cobb when we should have, and I’m not convinced we’re going to cut Graham.  I’d say chances are better he’s cut, but I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion a lot of people seem to think it is.  Everyone loves Graham and he’s still a serviceable receiving option.  The money isn’t right, but that didn’t get us to cut Clay, Cobb, and a couple others.

Weren't those decisions made by Ted Thompson and not Gute? I think we need to stop looking at the history of this Front Office with Ted Thompson and crew and think that its relevant to what Gute would do. He's forging his own trends here i.e. SPARQ being a huge drafting factor. Prior to that our assumption was bible thumping twitter feeds as a draft prerequisite. 

This is just my opinion but I think you're talking two entirely different personalities here. Ted was as passive as it gets where Gute seems to be more aggressive. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Weren't those decisions made by Ted Thompson and not Gute? I think we need to stop looking at the history of this Front Office with Ted Thompson and crew and think that its relevant to what Gute would do. He's forging his own trends here i.e. SPARQ being a huge drafting factor. Prior to that our assumption was bible thumping twitter feeds as a draft prerequisite. 

This is just my opinion but I think you're talking two entirely different personalities here. Ted was as passive as it gets where Gute seems to be mlre aggressive. 

Clay and Cobb both got paid 10-12 million in their final seasons here.  If he didn’t cut Thompson’s guys, I think there’s reason to believe he might not cut his own.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Clay and Cobb both got paid 10-12 million in their final seasons here.  If he didn’t cut Thompson’s guys, I think there’s reason to believe he might not cut his own.

May be wrong but paying Graham 10 million for his services is nuts.  If they would cut that amount in 1/2 ... maybe possibly then keeping him would maybe be feasible .  This would be the scenario of a year to late in cutting your losses.

• Like 3

Just now, coachbuns said:

May be wrong but paying Graham 10 million for his services is nuts.  If they would cut that amount in 1/2 ... maybe possibly then keeping him would maybe be feasible .  This would be the scenario of a year to late in cutting your losses.

Yeah, like I said, chances are probably better that he does get cut, but I wouldn’t call it a foregone conclusion.  I’d say the chances are best as follows:

Restructure, cut then re-sign, cut and not re-signed, paid the full deal.

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't care which one it is, I want us to sign one of the redemption story cornerbacks in this free agency.  Josh Norman, Xavier Rhodes or another one.

ESPECIALLY if Tramon retires or doesn't come back. 

So far I'm leaning Tony Jefferson for a reclamation project.

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

What are the chances another team winds up paying him in the vicinity of $10m/yr after we cut him?  Maybe he re-signs with us for half that and backs up Jace.  Would we even want that?

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

What are the chances another team winds up paying him in the vicinity of $10m/yr after we cut him?  Maybe he re-signs with us for half that and backs up Jace.  Would we even want that?

Then it comes down to how much you need 2-3m. If youre going to cut him let him go. Maybe you can get a restructure done if you wanna go down that road?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Both of those decisions were mistakes.  If Gute makes another mistake in keeping Graham it will make him look incompetent. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1