2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Linsley was a cap casualty.

why is linsley a cap casualty.  I actually agree he's a potential guy you can move on, but mostly from a numbers perspective.  I think the perception in the building is that he's one of the top guys on the offense after the tackles and davante and rodgers.

Has he had a marked decline?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Linsley was a cap casualty.

I'm thinking he's going to get the axe.  I'm not sure if the Packers view Jenkins as an OG now, or if they would want to place him at center?  I think he would quickly become an upgrade over Linsley for a lot less money.  Jenkins was so good at guard though that maybe they are content to keep him at LG.  Lucas Patrick at center might work.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

why is linsley a cap casualty.  I actually agree he's a potential guy you can move on, but mostly from a numbers perspective.  I think the perception in the building is that he's one of the top guys on the offense after the tackles and davante and rodgers.

Has he had a marked decline?

He's due $10.5M and he can be released and saved an extra $8.5M.  That's not chump change.  They could opt to go with Lucas Patrick for a year while they develop someone.  I definitely don't get that same vibe of Linsley.  I think he's a guy who is relatively solid, and probably gets a solid "above-average" grade, but I don't see him elevating people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

is there an option to move Billy Turner to RT?  Is that even entertained?

That lets you spend a LOT of this money elsewhere since you can slot in Lane Taylor at RG.

I'm not sacrificing OL spending. Look at how many NFL teams had complete teams that were easily neutralized because they had a bad OL. Spend on OL, DL and then spend some more.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm thinking he's going to get the axe.  I'm not sure if the Packers view Jenkins as an OG now, or if they would want to place him at center?  I think he would quickly become an upgrade over Linsley for a lot less money.  Jenkins was so good at guard though that maybe they are content to keep him at LG.  Lucas Patrick at center might work.

Jenkins is an OG, and he's there until he gets moved.  During the post-draft interviews, I believe Gute was very adamant about him being a guard.  He was damn good there.  No reason to move him.  I think we're going to see a bit of reshuffling on our OL this offseason.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not sacrificing OL spending. Look at how many NFL teams had complete teams that were easily neutralized because they had a bad OL. Spend on OL, DL and then spend some more.

I think it more or less depends on what Bryan Bulaga wants.  I'd rather go with a higher AAV, but less years.  His body isn't going to age well IMO.  But he's easily going to get Ju'Waun James money if he hits FA.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think it more or less depends on what Bryan Bulaga wants.  I'd rather go with a higher AAV, but less years.  His body isn't going to age well IMO.  But he's easily going to get Ju'Waun James money if he hits FA.

If the Bulaga money gets crazy then resign Veldheer and draft an OT.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Thats why you're my GM. Let me know if CW (read: Mr. Ball) is too tight with the purse strings and I'll intercede :)

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Give him years, anything to lower his cap hit in year 1-2. A year of cap hell post Rodgers only increases our chances of sucking bad enough to be in good position to pick the next QB.

• Like 1

link to last year's for reference:

The reason I said 3 in FA is because we need at least 4-5 total, and expecting more than 1 or 2 from the draft is an enormous long-shot.

I am banking on a starting (or serious contributor) EDGE at 12. That's gotta be the biggest no-brainer in the draft IMO.

We need 2 EDGE, 2 safeties for sure. And could use another starting CB assuming King and Jaire and healthy (which is a big assumption). So we need 5 starting caliber players added to the defense minimum.

lookit this guy!

Edited by incognito_man