2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

Why wouldn't we consider FA WR Amendola for the slot next year. I think he would be a great fit and come fairly cheap. Tell me why I'm crazy, hell I think we could get Suh or McCoy fairly reasonably as well to add another big body to the DL.

20 hours ago, Joe said:

Marlon Davidson is Montravious Adams Pt. II and Van Jefferson will go much earlier. Then you're drafting an IOL when we need to be looking at a potential replacement for Bulaga. Then you have 2 RBs, why? Quarterman and McKinney are the only two sensible picks.

If you want to call Davidson out for being Datone Jones pt II, I can live with that. He's absolutely nothing like Mont. Don't make lazy comps because of a kids school. Davidson is extremely similar to Collier last year. Heavy hands, has some juice and explosion, but he's not going to be athletic enough to play the edge in sub package and he's not going to be big enough to play inside on base downs. Your hope is he can be a base edge and sub package 3T. He's nothing like Adams.

Jefferson is a 24 year old rookie in a loaded WR class. 3rd round is where I have him graded. Tae had just turned 25 when he got extended. Jefferson is going to be 28. Which means if you give him a 4 year deal, you'll be paying him for 29,30,31,32 year old seasons, aka past prime seasons. He's a 1 contract kind of guy. I'll roll with other guys in rounds 1-2.

• Like 1

Anybody else hoping we just use this offseason to get some compensatory picks? 

Wait until the draft is over and June cuts to bring in outside additions.

Hope that Martinez/Fackrell/Bulaga get us some compensatory picks.

Martinez could get us a fifth, Fackrell could get us a 5th, Bulaga could get us as high as a fourth. 

There are always good options available that do not count against compensatory consideration.  Julius Peppers didn't cost us anything. 

I don't want Bulaga to go, but I'm 97% positive he will. 
I want Fackrell to get the biggest possible deal he can.
I want Martinez to chase the money.  He's worth a team-friendly deal, but worth more signing a non-team, player-friendly deal somewhere else. 

Re-sign Veldheer, draft 3rd-5th round swing tackle.
Extend Clark.
Extend Bakhtiari.
Maybe even Kevin King. 

There WILL be DL and WRs who get cut and will not count against compensatory consideration. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:
1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

No.

I'm not either, but depending on how the QBs shake out, we're probably looking at a 3 and 4 for Bulaga and Martinez.... could be two 4ths if all those QBs sign 1 year $20m+ deals. 

But yeah, I would rather be as active as we can 

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So the 30% rule ruins everything that I thought about this off-season. Our "all in" is going to be a crap ton weaker than in a normal year. Dumb.

Well this is only if we extend Kenny, right? If we try to let him play on the 5th year option I think it's just that normal cap hit. There just isn't any extend and save option right now. 

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So the 30% rule ruins everything that I thought about this off-season. Our "all in" is going to be a crap ton weaker than in a normal year. Dumb.

if they agree on CBA before end of March, then the 30 % rule goes away.
But that's why the Rodgers re-structure needed to happen in 2019 year, because they couldn't do it now

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

if they agree on CBA before end of March, then the 30 % rule goes away.
But that's why the Rodgers re-structure needed to happen in 2019 year, because they couldn't do it now

There is probably less than 1% chance they get it done before the 2020 league year starts in March

37 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Well this is only if we extend Kenny, right? If we try to let him play on the 5th year option I think it's just that normal cap hit. There just isn't any extend and save option right now. 

Any contract we sign. Bulaga, Martinez, outside FA's. Can't throw the min base in year 1 and bump out to following years like we did last year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Going back quite a long while, I put forward a scenario where the Packers scheme things so they invest in decent veteran free agents every other year (as far as is possible).

A fairly heavy investment ( like in 2019) means no comp picks in 2020, followed by the 2020 year when very little is done in acquiring expensive veteran FAs, while in the same year some players are released that have a chance of playing elsewhere, and hopefully for good money l(ike Bulaga, Martinez). This tactic, while a bit 'Madden-ish' nets decent comp picks in alternate years. If you carefully manage the roster with this in mind, you could help maximise the strategy for decent vet additions and comp picks every other year, followed by a lean year where you are not getting in much in vet FA and are releasing potential high-earners to other teams.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1