2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about is whatever you expect the contract they'll take is, add 30% and that typically ends up being really close

Nope. That's my thing.

I believe he's referring to a rule in the current CBA that any contracts signed before the new CBA is reached can't have a raise of more than 30% the following year to avoid backloading. I think that's a thing. 

3 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Nope. That's my thing.

I believe he's referring to a rule in the current CBA that any contracts signed before the new CBA is reached can't have a raise of more than 30% the following year to avoid backloading. I think that's a thing. 

I suck

2 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Nope. That's my thing.

correct on all accounts, I think you were the one to introduce the 1.33 fudge factor to the board

But the current discussion is about the special rules that exist in the final year of a CBA, they were enacted to prevent what Jerry and Danny did last time around
And unfortunately, these special Final Year rules throw a wrench in the Packers cap structure strategies

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

correct on all accounts, I think you were the one to introduce the 1.33 fudge factor to the board

But the current discussion is about the special rules that exist in the final year of a CBA, they were enacted to prevent what Jerry and Danny did last time around
And unfortunately, these special Final Year rules throw a wrench in the Packers cap structure strategies

Pay no attention to the other team that deviated from cap norms that year and actually ended up winning the damn thing.

Hint: It was us

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Anybody else hoping we just use this offseason to get some compensatory picks? 

Wait until the draft is over and June cuts to bring in outside additions.

Hope that Martinez/Fackrell/Bulaga get us some compensatory picks.

Martinez could get us a fifth, Fackrell could get us a 5th, Bulaga could get us as high as a fourth. 

There are always good options available that do not count against compensatory consideration.  Julius Peppers didn't cost us anything. 

I don't want Bulaga to go, but I'm 97% positive he will. 
I want Fackrell to get the biggest possible deal he can.
I want Martinez to chase the money.  He's worth a team-friendly deal, but worth more signing a non-team, player-friendly deal somewhere else. 

Re-sign Veldheer, draft 3rd-5th round swing tackle.
Extend Clark.
Extend Bakhtiari.
Maybe even Kevin King. 

There WILL be DL and WRs who get cut and will not count against compensatory consideration. 

That really isn’t a bad option if we resign Bulaga. With our current cap situation we can sign one starter, so going retread cut options like Watkins/Jordan Reed isn’t bad. Blake making 10-13 a year gets us at least a 4th, maybe even a third. 

Since we are in a window though, I do get the people who say “absolutely no” though.

2 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Nope. That's my thing.

You are correct, but the rule only applies to years on a deal that are going into a period where there is no CBA. Last year was the last season to heavily backload a deal, and we did, with Aaron, Z, Preston and Amos. Props to Gute for that. This year, unless a CBA is agreed upon, the 30% rule is enforced. It will disappear again when the next one is agreed upon. Think it's meant to enforce an artificial "cap" if an uncapped year like we had a decade ago comes into play again. 

Basically for us it means that nice 5m cap hit on a 4/44 Bulaga deal is actually going to be more like 8-9m, same with any DL/WR/ILB/TE we pursue in UFA. I don't see any way we should extend Clark under these circumstances.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This year, unless a CBA is agreed upon, the 30% rule is enforced. It will disappear again when the next one is agreed upon

from Schefter

"If and when a new collective bargaining agreement is finalized -- and there is now mounting optimism it could be done sometime in the next week -- it is expected to change the NFL's playoff structure as it is currently constituted for next season, league sources told ESPN "

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

from Schefter

"If and when a new collective bargaining agreement is finalized -- and there is now mounting optimism it could be done sometime in the next week -- it is expected to change the NFL's playoff structure as it is currently constituted for next season, league sources told ESPN "

I heard 14 teams total in the playoffs .. 7 in each conference.   One bye in each conference instead of two.