2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

PackersWire:  The Packers have a few connections to the Ravens, starting with 2019 breakout star outside linebacker Za’Darius Smith. There’s a good chance Smith would willingly put in a good word for some of his former teammates:

Inside linebacker Patrick Onwuasor, nose tackle Michael Pierce and outside linebacker Matt Judon all make sense as potential suitors for the Packers in free agency. None are projected to command top dollar contracts, either.

Pierce, a run-stuffing nose tackle, is projected to garner a two-year, $9.5 million contract by Spotrac. The 6-foot, 340-pound menace would add much-needed help to the Packers’ porous run defense that allowed 4.9 yards per carry in 2019 (playoffs included). Because Pierce is primarily a two-down player, Green Bay likely wouldn’t have to break the bank by signing him.

Then there’s Onwuasor, a core special teams player who earned more playing time as time went on. He managed to play only 473 defensive snaps in 2019 but finished with 61 tackles, five tackles for losses, one forced fumble and a pass breakup. Onwuasor is projected to command a contract worth roughly $5 million annually, according to Spotrac.

Finally, Judon is likely to be the most expensive of the bunch but is probably the player with the highest upside. He’s projected by Spotrac to sign a contract worth roughly $16 million annually after producing a career-best 9.5 sacks in 2019

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Upgrading Tyler Lancaster to Ryan Pickett would have been very helpful, but paying real money for a Ryan Pickett doesn't seem like a great investment. 

This.  Very much this.  I'd love to upgrade Lancaster but I'm not paying the money it's going to take.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...we need a more expensive Tyler Lancaster?  I don't want another two-down lineman.

While I agree in principle, with Smith's, Gary and Clark, how many snaps are available in the rush package for another DL?

I'd rather stop the run for a reasonable cost and get those 4 on the field in long yardage situations. If we're talking about 2018 Lancaster, OK, but 2019 Lancaster sucked.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Upgrading Tyler Lancaster to Ryan Pickett would have been very helpful, but paying real money for a Ryan Pickett doesn't seem like a great investment. 

May be all we can afford. While I'd love to have Chris Jones instead of Michael Pierce, one will cost 4x as much. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

While I agree in principle, with Smith's, Gary and Clark, how many snaps are available in the rush package for another DL?

I'd rather stop the run for a reasonable cost and get those 4 on the field in long yardage situations. If we're talking about 2018 Lancaster, OK, but 2019 Lancaster sucked.

We've already heard Pettine talk over and over again about this being a passing league.  I don't see Gute and Co. shelling out the money needed to sign Pierce.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

We've already heard Pettine talk over and over again about this being a passing league.  I don't see Gute and Co. shelling out the money needed to sign Pierce.

Not sure Pettine is the guy we want to be listening to right now. His plan against SF absolutely sucked.